New to Cruising

WallyBear

Mouseketeer
We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks on the Magic out of Miami. We have an 11:30 PAT time and our goal is to head straight to the pool and have lunch there and let the kids play. Any recommendations for making that happen as smoothly as possible? How long should we realistically expect to wait in line at the port before we can get on the boat?

Many thanks for all of your help. This board has been incredibly helpful over the years.

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks on the Magic out of Miami. We have an 11:30 PAT time and our goal is to head straight to the pool and have lunch there and let the kids play. Any recommendations for making that happen as smoothly as possible? How long should we realistically expect to wait in line at the port before we can get on the boat?

Many thanks for all of your help. This board has been incredibly helpful over the years.
At 11:30, if you're lucky, the boarding is just starting. The first to board are the Concierge guests, followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then they start calling boarding numbers. Your boarding number, which you get at check in at the port, is tied to your Port Arrival Time. Since PAT windows generally open around 10:30 (or 11:00 for the Magic class ships), an 11:30 PAT will have a higher number than a 10:30 PAT.

The terminal is also very crowded and the line long to board.

Chances are you won't be actually boarding the ship until closer to 12:00-12:15. Then it's pretty busy at the pools/buffet.

I would recommend eearing your bathing suits under your clothes. If you choose to change on board you may wish to go down one deck from the pools as those restrooms will probably be less crowded.

Agree with both previous posters and would add, make sure you have a carryon with essentials since you won't have access to your state room until after 1:30, and you probably won't see your "checked" luggage until later in the afternoon.

Everyone is correct. Your rooms will not be ready until 1:30 so you can eat lunch too :) Depending on what time you board the ship, I would reccomend going to the sit down restaurant (which'll have the same food as the buffet)

Since you want to eat and swim, I recommend getting a light lunch from one of the quick service places on the pool deck. I like the chicken tenders & fries you can get there. Much easier than lining up for one of the buffets. I recommend arriving closer to 11 than 11:30. They won't make you wait outside or anything. Arriving earlier will likely help expedite the check-in & boarding process a bit.

Definitely hit the pool first thing upon arrival if the weather allows. The family pools are usually kid soup, & we don't even consider swimming in them for the rest of the cruise, but upon arrival, you can have them almost to yourself.

Since you want to eat and swim, I recommend getting a light lunch from one of the quick service places on the pool deck. I like the chicken tenders & fries you can get there. Much easier than lining up for one of the buffets. I recommend arriving closer to 11 than 11:30. They won't make you wait outside or anything. Arriving earlier will likely help expedite the check-in & boarding process a bit.

Definitely hit the pool first thing upon arrival if the weather allows. The family pools are usually kid soup, & we don't even consider swimming in them for the rest of the cruise, but upon arrival, you can have them almost to yourself.

As a note, the OP is cruising out of Miami, and Disney doesn't have its own unique terminal there like in PC, so as I understand it, they are a little stricter about times there. (I was just out of there on the fathom Adonia, but since that ship is tiny by most standards (704 passengers max) and we were the only ship in port as she didn't alter her schedule for Christmas and New Year they weren't being super strict other than it didn't open until 11.)

That said, the Boarding Group is tied to the PAT - so even if the OP is allowed in to check-in at 11, odds are good they will see people who arrive after them boarding before them because of that.

Just something to be aware of.

As a note, the OP is cruising out of Miami, and Disney doesn't have its own unique terminal there like in PC, so as I understand it, they are a little stricter about times there. (I was just out of there on the fathom Adonia, but since that ship is tiny by most standards (704 passengers max) and we were the only ship in port as she didn't alter her schedule for Christmas and New Year they weren't being super strict other than it didn't open until 11.)

That said, the Boarding Group is tied to the PAT - so even if the OP is allowed in to check-in at 11, odds are good they will see people who arrive after them boarding before them because of that.

Just something to be aware of.
Yes, I did recommend for the OP to arrive between 11 and 11:30. We cruised out of Miami last year, and are familiar with the terminal. As a new cruiser, the OP's check-in will likely take longer than that of a CC member, so arriving a bit earlier should help the OP be finished up around the time boarding begins. Since the OP is eager to get onboard and enjoy an uncrowded pool deck, being fully checked-in, done with the character photo, etc., & ready to board when his/her boarding number is called, is likely a priority for the OP.

Yes, I did recommend for the OP to arrive between 11 and 11:30. We cruised out of Miami last year, and are familiar with the terminal. As a new cruiser, the OP's check-in will likely take longer than that of a CC member, so arriving a bit earlier should help the OP be finished up around the time boarding begins. Since the OP is eager to get onboard and enjoy an uncrowded pool deck, being fully checked-in, done with the character photo, etc., & ready to board when his/her boarding number is called, is likely a priority for the OP.

Gotcha.

I have heard that Port Miami can be more strict about sticking to your assigned/selected PAT. Granted that's been with other cruiselines, but still something to be aware of. Certainly you can aim for earlier, but just be prepared for the possibility that the port authorities might hold you outside until your time. MIGHT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter