New to all the DVC stuff...need help.....

Dizzyworld

DIS Veteran
We are new to all the DVC stuff, and I'm confused on some points.

Is DVC the best bet only when doing WDW vacations?

Where can I find out info about how others used DVC points to all of the other places listed in the book? I mean how hard is it to go to other places? Do many people use their DVC to go to other places in the US or other parts of the world?

use it almost always at WDW or one of the other DVC resort - VB or HH.

to trade to other places, you can buy another timeshare (generally for under $3,000) to trade.

go join
www.tug2.net
like this one too

http://www.timeshareforums.com/

that say using points for one of the concierge collection for a few nights can be a fair deal.

You've probably come to the best place for your questions. Related threads:Edited to add:Our response: Own DVC for DVC stays ... and use other vacation products for all the other stuff.

Best wishes in your research.

We have never stayed anywhere on points other than DVC properties. And that is making the best use of pts. I will give an example...

Our 1st stay on pts. at VWL was exactly 80 pts. for 5 nights. To stay one night in some place in DC(I think The Jefferson??) was 90 pts. This was back in '02.

DVC is definitely geared for travel to WDW. Even staying at a moderate resort at WDW would cost more in pts. than staying in a studio at a DVC resort.

I hope this info helps a little. You have come to the right place. And dont feel like any question is beyond being answered here. I wish I would have found the DIS while we were getting ready to buy. It would have been a ton of help.

Thanks for your thoughts. That's what I was wondering since my DH wants to go to the rest of the world in a few years. It's a nice selling point,but can it easily be done?

Too much thinking.

Yes, using your points at one of the 8 DVC resorts is the most economical way to use your points. But points is points! So, if you want to use them for something else once in a while, you can.

As pointed out, because DVC is a fairly high cost maintenance timeshare, trading is best done with one that has lower costs. Timeshare trading is an iffy proposition anyway, no matter what the timeshare. DVC trades well, but so few people trade out. In 10 years, we have traded out only once, and that was for a week in Hawaii. We received our trade just a week after we put in for it, and we thought it was a great use of points for us at that time. I'm sure in the future we will trade again at some point, but we have become so comfortable with our frequent Disney vacations, we find it hard to make ourselves change those habits.

To be sure, there would be no point in owning a timeshare on Disney property if your primary goal was not to visit Disney often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter