I don’t mind the lack of music in the land, personally (there is some right when you enter, which is nice)...
At first, I thought the lack of music would bother me. But now, I don't mind and actually like the "atmosphere" sounds throughout Batuu, especially the forest sounds on the Resistance end.

... I really really hope that the complainers and Disney families resistant to change don't ruin the experience for those of us who actully do appreciate the new land. Today is my last day here, so I really hope by the time I come back next year it's NOT been turned into another generic Disney Land and dumbed down.
Make sure to send in a detailed comment to Disney telling them how you feel about SWGE -- they need to hear some positive reviews from guests, too!

Oh my gosh, I was looking through my pictures and it reminded me - there's at least one area where there's music in the land! They were playing the music from the cantina (I think - I heard DJ Rex so I'm assuming it's the same loop) near one of the bathrooms, and actually inside the bathrooms...
Yes! Inside the Ladies' Room near the Droid Depot there is a "radio station" with a droid DJ playing. I noticed it right away because the larger restroom by the Market Place doesn't have any music playing. (Doesn't that restroom have a monster in the pipes?)

This is what I saw. The CM’s were good at staying in character while also helping guests understand the Batuu language. When I was waiting for a photo pass picture a lady asked about a picture but the CM said “I do facial scans here in Batuu”. And when we were leaving the land, I asked another CM where a particular trail would lead to and she said “it leads to a land of Fantasy”. I hope they keep staying in character. That was one of the highlights when I was there.

I'm taking mental notes here on what language they're using on Batuu and I think I'll tell my husband exactly nothing about it so he'll wonder how the heck I know what they're talking about, lol. Then he'll probably go, "oh yeah, disboards...".

How’s the quality of the droids? There was a post somewhere about them not working well. They sound fun, especially the personality chips. How exactly do they interact in land?

For the most part, the droid tended to beep, rotate its head, and blink its lights while walking around the Outpost. I don't speak droid ( :rotfl: ), but it seemed to do the beeping/blinking things a lot around the Droid Depot, so it was probably saying "hi" to all of those droids laying around the building. It reacted at several other locations around Batuu. I've read that depending on the personality chips, you might get more or less reaction in various areas of the Outpost (they were sold out, so my droid is just the basic personality). I'm still trying to figure out a good way to carry my droid around the Outpost that keeps my hands free and doesn't impact the droid head (BB-8's antenna stick up).

In terms of working, it depends on what is meant by "not well". I have one of the BB-8 units and it's not the easiest thing to control (i.e., get it to go where you want). It's easier to control than the Spheros version of BB-8, but it's not as easy as driving my friend's kid's remote control car. For me, the hardest thing is to keep track of is where the head is pointed (that's the "forward" direction, which for the BB-8 unit changes when you trigger the head to rotate). It seems to roll fairly well; it does better on smooth surfaces and non-deep pile carpets (the best seems to be short/hard carpeting - like the kind you often find in hotels or office buildings - because it's not quite as slick as tile/linoleum/etc., and it muffles some of the rotating sounds). The head will bounce off if you hit something (e.g., a wall) too hard. The exterior is made of plastic, so I wouldn't go rolling it on any really scratchy surface.

Yes! Inside the Ladies' Room near the Droid Depot there is a "radio station" with a droid DJ playing. I noticed it right away because the larger restroom by the Market Place doesn't have any music playing. (Doesn't that restroom have a monster in the pipes?)
I think so...I thought I recall hearing some rattling noises. You might want to check out the water fountain by the rest room entrance...

How’s the quality of the droids? There was a post somewhere about them not working well. They sound fun, especially the personality chips. How exactly do they interact in land?
I have the R style droid. I picked it mainly because I heard they are easier to use. I’ve seen videos of people playing with their BB style ones and if they hit a wall, they would break in half (you have to put it back together). My R one rolls best on hard surfaces. It can roll on carpet depending on how thick the carpet is. Carpet at my house isn’t thick so it rolls on it. I brought it over to my grandparents to show them and it wouldn’t roll on theirs because it was too thick. It makes sounds, and it’s head spins. I noticed it moved a lot around the droid depot, near the ride, and in the marketplace. I’m hoping to see if it will “talk” to other droids tomorrow when I bring it. I don’t have any personality chips yet so hopefully when those get restocked I can get one to see how they interact. They’re pretty fun. I’m glad I made one.

I’ve seen videos of people playing with their BB style ones and if they hit a wall, they would break in half (you have to put it back together).
Yikes! I've hit the wall hard enough to have the head bounce off, but not hard enough to split the body open.

Do you have one of the Droid Depot backpacks? If not, how are you planning on carrying the R2 unit? I'm looking for ideas...

My R style doesn't work very well. The feet don't touch the ground evenly, it seems to be leaning slightly to one side (not enough to actually see) so when I try to go straight only one wheel drives and it goes in circles. I need to maybe add a bit of weight in its head to get both legs to make contact evenly. Haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Yikes! I've hit the wall hard enough to have the head bounce off, but not hard enough to split the body open.

Do you have one of the Droid Depot backpacks? If not, how are you planning on carrying the R2 unit? I'm looking for ideas...
I bought the SWGE reusable shopping tote so I’m going to put it in there. I’m not doing any water rides or major thrill rides tomorrow since I’ll have it. I could get a locker but that makes me nervous.

My R style doesn't work very well. The feet don't touch the ground evenly, it seems to be leaning slightly to one side (not enough to actually see) so when I try to go straight only one wheel drives and it goes in circles. I need to maybe add a bit of weight in its head to get both legs to make contact evenly. Haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
Uh oh. Did it screw in unevenly? When I was building mine, I didn’t screw it in correctly and my aunt had to help me fix it. I tried posting a video of mine rolling but the file is too large...

I bought the SWGE reusable shopping tote so I’m going to put it in there. I’m not doing any water rides or major thrill rides tomorrow since I’ll have it. I could get a locker but that makes me nervous.

What do you mean getting a locker makes you nervous? I've gotten so many Disney lockers and had zero problems with any of them.

What do you mean getting a locker makes you nervous? I've gotten so many Disney lockers and had zero problems with any of them.
I’m just paranoid lol I’ve used them many times with no issue. I just don’t like leaving my stuff. I’m sure I’ll end up getting one. Holding it will get old fast.

I have also seen quite a few videos of peoples B droids (is that the right name? Look like BB8) falling apart as they are moving them...mainly on the Disney FB groups. Glad yours is not doing that Figment!

Have you tried adjusting the feet both ways? Ours takes some finagling, but it goes from lopsided to straight if we have it set quite right.

I saw someone carrying theirs in an Ergo baby carrier last time we visited! Ingenious...

We have a Droid Depot backpack, but were instructed to carry it forward-facing so we could see it interact. I bet the Ergo is more comfy.

I hope you report the Cm. That’s weird.
Although ironically it sounds like he was acting just like the bartender in the original Star Wars....

I couldn't get a good gauge if he was trying to be in character or not. It didn't affect the rest of my day, so I just let it be. I like to applaud those who go above and beyond, but I rarely consider reporting the negative cast members. Unless it was really serious, I usually shrug it off and hope that it was just a bad situation/day for them.

Is it too soon to talk about this? We have only two things we really care to do when we are visiting SWGE in August: Smuggler's Run and Oga's Cantina. Though it's not my preference, I don't totally mind having a drink pretty early in the morning if it means beating the crowds. My conventional Disney wisdom tells me to log onto the app at 7:00 AM and make a reservation for Oga's for 8:30/8:45 AM. Then hit rope drop, make a bee line for Smugglers and then do the cantina directly afterwards.

Are there any variables I'm not taking into account or is the SWGE strategy the same as the old Peter Pan/Space Mountain strategy (i.e. get there early and be one of the first in line)?

Thanks guys!

I've been here for 3 days and if things stay like they are right now, you'd be better off waiting until later in the day. Right now the line for Smugglers Run is the longest in the morning. To be at the very front you'd have to get to Disneyland gates an hour at least before opening. After about 11 or so, the line stays pretty steady at anywhere to 45 minutes to an hour. So I dont think youd save time. Download the Disneyland App and watch the wait times. Yesterday after magic morning my kids headed to Star Wars land to see what the waits were like, they said the line for the ride went almost all the way to Hungry Bear, they skipped it and looked around the stores instead. Since you'll have a non cancelible reservation for the Cantina I would probably ride afterward. Of course, all this could change anytime.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter