New Series Gilded AGE on HBO thumbs up or down

Bella the Ball 360

Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.<br><font
I started watching the Gilded Age on HBO mainly because I love period dramas and because it was written by Julian Fellows of Downton Abby fame. Is it me or does this series fall short of the quality of Downton? I am hoping to get into it but I do not know if it is the characters, the talent or the production values but it just did not do it for me. I have been to many of the shooting locations in Newport but I just feel that they did not feature houses like the Breakers and the Elms to their best advantage. I am hoping it starts off slowly like Downton or Bridgerton and then builds.

I started watching the Gilded Age on HBO mainly because I love period dramas and because it was written by Julian Fellows of Downton Abby fame. Is it me or does this series fall short of the quality of Downton? I am hoping to get into it but I do not know if it is the characters, the talent or the production values but it just did not do it for me. I have been to many of the shooting locations in Newport but I just feel that they did not feature houses like the Breakers and the Elms to their best advantage. I am hoping it starts off slowly like Downton or Bridgerton and then builds.

I am very disappointed in the plot and dialogue. The exterior shots are so weirdly bright — some articles are saying it’s too much CGI. Cynthia Nixon appears stiff and awkward to me. Is she just not feeling it either?

Reactions: rlk
I am very disappointed in the plot and dialogue. The exterior shots are so weirdly bright — some articles are saying it’s too much CGI. Cynthia Nixon appears stiff and awkward to me. Is she just not feeling it either?
Ok so it's not just me!! I started watching Downton again and felt like Gilded was like a high school production compared to DA!! You are so right the lighting is inconsistent and Louisa Jacobson is not a character I am rooting for. For that matter, everyone seems flat!

My DW and I really like it. Neither of us ever go into Downton Abbey, it was just too slow for us, I guess. Gilded Age is more fun for us.

I really want to know what’s going on with Peggy! And why is Oscar seemingly trying to get with Gladys
if he has a boyfriend? If it’s to be a beard, I would think that there would be more suitable options.

I guess we’re the odd ones out, here.

My DW and I really like it. Neither of us ever go into Downton Abbey, it was just too slow for us, I guess. Gilded Age is more fun for us.

I really want to know what’s going on with Peggy! And why is Oscar seemingly trying to get with Gladys
if he has a boyfriend? If it’s to be a beard, I would think that there would be more suitable options.

I guess we’re the odd ones out, here.
I am going to try to get into Gilded but, can I suggest you stick out a few episodes of Downton? I hated it but it was the pandemic and other than the Tiger King I had exhausted most of my options so I forced myself to watch it. Maggie Smith is quite funny and sarcastic but I did not catch most of it till I went back and binged a second time.

We have enjoyed the first two episodes. It will probably take a few episodes to fully develop all the characters. Here’s a bit about some of where the show was filmed outside of Newport, Long Island, and Manhattan:

For the majority of the exterior street scenes, we’re in Troy, New York. Made rich by trade, this was one of the country’s most prosperous cities in the 19th century and many of its landmark buildings have been preserved since this time, making it popular with filmmakers including Martin Scorsese, who shot The Age of Innocence here.

For The Gilded Age, the city becomes Manhattan, and most importantly Fifth Avenue. ‘To me, Troy is the most exciting thing to see in The Gilded Age,’ says Lauri Pitkus. ‘We selected four to five blocks that we dressed. We had the cooperation of every store owner and we refaced all the buildings with our signage and it was pretty spectacular. The architecture is there so we could have long-lens shots from the areas where we dressed and in the background, you can see the continuation of 1850s row houses.’
Apart from facings and signage, one of the most important parts of the job was resurfacing the roads. ‘That’s where things got really complicated,’ Pitkus says, ‘being able to take the main public square of their town and allowing us to close it for three weeks while we brought in dump trucks of dirt and laid it on the street. I called it Operation Desert Gilded because it got very dry and dusty and it was blowing everywhere.’

The production took over much of what’s now called the Central Troy Historic District, along 2nd and 3rd Streets and around Washington Park and Monument Square. For the shopping trip in Episode 4, we see Marian (Louisa Jacobson) and Peggy Scott (Denée Benton) visit Bloomingdale Brothers as recreated around Troy’s Monument Square, while in Episode 3 they visit the hand of the Statue of Liberty, on temporary exhibition in Madison Square Park, as represented by Washington Park.

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery...c4164b-b40f-4fcd-99ef-6c22cac97599_popular4-1
Troy’s wealth of grand homes also provide the entrances to homes of other characters: ‘The exterior of the Astors, the exterior of the Morris house, exterior of the Fane house, of the boarding house – those are all Troy locations,’ explains Pitkus. ‘The Fane house is particularly famous in Troy – it’s The Castle, it was built in the 1890s and was called the John Paine Mansion, and it has a really eclectic style.’

How funny, I just watched episode one! Hmmm…I’m going give it a few more episodes before I give up. Jury is out for me. I love love love the time period fashion. So much eye candy. Acting is a bit stilted. I was obsessed with Downton Abbey, so I’ll see how this goes. 🎩🏰💐

Reactions: rlk

Maybe because we haven't watched Downton Abbey except for the first episode we are a bit less biased about The Gilded Age, I've also been looking forward to this series for like 3 years (or was it more?) now since it was announced, moved from cable to HBO Max, recast (IIRC), etc. I enjoyed episode one and thought the banter with all the characters working. We'll be watching episode 2 soon.

Just watched 2nd episode. Definitely more intrigued now!

Thanks for mentioning the 2nd one is ready to watch.
Downton Abbey is my most favorite TV show, so I was excited to start watching The Gilded Age. As of now, I’m not loving it, but since I only watched the pilot I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt, since most pilots are not a true reflection of what the rest of the show will be like. I’m not a fan of Christine Baranski, so when I saw her in this show I wasn‘t thrilled, but I’ll try to look around that. I hope the episodes come out at a decent pace, because if there’s a lot of time between each episode then I’ll have to quit, because I’m not paying for HBO Max every month while waiting for new episodes. I’ll probably cancel and then resubscribe at the end of the year to watch all the episodes and pay for one month.
I‘ll try and watch the second episode very soon to see what my thoughts are on it. That may even happen today if I don’t go to work due to a winter storm we’re getting.

The show which is about “old” New York not willingly accepting “new” money-think Molly Brown on Titanic-has an interesting plot.

I do not think the actress who plays Mrs.Russel is very good and imo the actress who plays the niece is not that great either.

I love historical dramas and will continue to watch.
Loved Downton Abbey, Harlots, call the midwife, Vikings, the tudors, the great (huzaah), Spanish Princess, Reign, Versailles was okay, and I can’t wait until Bridgerton returns.

oh and the pride and prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is my all time favorite mini series 😊

I really like this show and I also love to read and watch period pieces. I am intrigued by the plot line, old vs new money. A couple things that I am not thrilled with are Cynthia Nixon. She is not my favorite. I do find the streets to be a little too clean for the time period. I like Peggy - I am currently reading the Personal Librarian (gilded age) and I really like the Russels. I would be their friends just to get into that house.

My 2 favorite period shows of all time are Downtown and Call the Midwife. I can not tell you the number of times I have watched them.

I really like this show and I also love to read and watch period pieces. I am intrigued by the plot line, old vs new money. A couple things that I am not thrilled with are Cynthia Nixon. She is not my favorite. I do find the streets to be a little too clean for the time period. I like Peggy - I am currently reading the Personal Librarian (gilded age) and I really like the Russels. I would be their friends just to get into that house.

My 2 favorite period shows of all time are Downtown and Call the Midwife. I can not tell you the number of times I have watched them.

Oh my gosh! Thanks for the reminder about Call the Midwife. Need to finish the season I'm watching. Love that series.

Like it so far.
Mr. Russell better watch out. *Why is it always the maid? *
Oscar *Are you seriously poaching after Gladys for $$$* & Mrs. Russell keeping a very tight grip on Gladys, smart woman.
Mrs. Russell *seems a little nutty*
Marian & Peggy :thumbsup2

Smaller downstairs compared to Downton Abbey. Yet Downton cut their downstairs down after season 2&3? Looks like with The Gilded Age more focus on old money/ways & new money/ways.

The show which is about “old” New York not willingly accepting “new” money-think Molly Brown on Titanic-has an interesting plot.

I do not think the actress who plays Mrs.Russel is very good and imo the actress who plays the niece is not that great either.

I love historical dramas and will continue to watch.
Loved Downton Abbey, Harlots, call the midwife, Vikings, the tudors, the great (huzaah), Spanish Princess, Reign, Versailles was okay, and I can’t wait until Bridgerton returns.

oh and the pride and prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is my all time favorite mini series 😊
OMG you re like the only other person I know who watched Harlots! Loved and watched all the ones you mentioned several times!! If you like call the midwife you will also like Land Girls although I wish it was a longer series. I will disagree with you on Pride and Predjudice bc my favorite is the Kiera Knightly version LOL.

I just watched episode 2 and I’m still on the fence.
I don‘t dislike it, but I’m not loving it either.
When watching Downton Abbey I feel like I’m watching a real family, and I feel like I went back in time when watching it - the show was so well done.
When watching The Gilded Age I feel like I’m watching a TV show about a time period - does this make any sense? It’s hard to describe what I’m thinking.
Maybe I’ll think differently after watching episode 3, which I think comes on HBO Max on 2/8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter