• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Security Measures At The Parks

I am baffled by a lot of what has been discussed on here- I don't give a monkeys if Disney ban masks or not but I am amazed at the attitude to religious dress. Mainly because I do not know of many terrorist outrages that removal of this would even have prevented. How many have involved lone woman in burkas (or even men in Burka disguise). I think the mask ban is just that - A ban so that they can see faces and therefore make an assessment of threat ( identify terrorist or lone madman by behavior at gate)- will that help who knows but its better than nothing. I am sure that Disney will have an appropriate method of screening a lone woman in either of these outfits (if she is with others then they will asses them anyway Also if people on here have thought about this issue, it am I sure it will have crossed the Disney brains too. I am all for the metal detectors- are the fail safe? - probably not - but is anything? - but they have to be better than nothing.

I understand the concern for safety, but the metal detectors are going to be a pain for people with medical implants (orthopedic hardware, pacemaker/defibrillator, etc.) I know a few people have posted that they haven't seen anyone be "patted down" or receive a more thorough examination/questioning after going through the detectors, but I would think this would be fairly common and time consuming.

The metal detectors are stupid. yesterday I saw them putting women and children thru them while letting single men pass. The woman running it pulled me after I went thru security. I had only a wristlet & was wearing work out shirts (obviously no pockets), a tshirt, & yoga shoes. The only thing I had hidden under my clothes were my private bits & the new the fat rolls I acquired while dining all week at Disney, lol. Totally not a terrorist threat, but pulled me & another middle aged woman & her little girl, but letting single men go. So I think it's stupid and a waste. If Disney wants to implement these machines, either everyone goes thru or actually make the suspicious go thru. And if the operators can't do that then dismantle. It's bad enough we wait in line for everything else.

Last edited:
Also, metal detectors are not 100% reliable. Pat downs may not catch 100% of everything. But, they are detourants. A locked door won't stop someone from breaking into your house either but it is more of a detourant to a criminal than an unlocked door. If given the choice, which house do you think a criminal would try to break in to? A well lit house with the doors locked or a dark house with the doors unlocked?
The statistics don't back you up. Random screening with metal detectors doesn't make us any safer. Terrorists spend moths or years planing their attacks. They can certainly get past "random" screening. This is smoke and mirrors, the illusion of doing something, nothing more.

The statistics don't back you up. Random screening with metal detectors doesn't make us any safer. Terrorists spend moths or years planing their attacks. They can certainly get past "random" screening. This is smoke and mirrors, the illusion of doing something, nothing more.
Just thinking about what you said gives me butterflies in my stomach...

Edit: As it happens, on the bus in our hometown, our way to the airport to fly to Disney this past November, my husband and I chatted with a lovely - and very friendly - young lady wearing a niqab. She was a foreign student from Saudi Arabia and happened to be studying at the same university as our daughter. It was interesting - after a few minutes of talk, I realized that I could see more expression and emotion and individuality in her eyes, than I could ever see in a person wearing sunglasses, even if the rest of their face was uncovered.

(My son calls them "authority glasses" when cops wear them. ;))

This brings up something that was passed on right after 9/11 that seemed to be forgotten and was taught when I lived in a large city: Be alert, be aware of your surroundings, and be aware of the people around you. Look people in the eye as you pass them. Talk to, and get to know the people around you. Many times those who wish to do evil do not want to be singled out before they act. They may be nervous or otherwise preoccupied. Security can only do so much. Individuals must be responsible for their own safety, even on vacation.

I'd like to know if anybody was there this morning how the new screenings impacted entry? Did it slow things down, or not?

Cute.

121ae9cb14288acd3844196f6d346b54.jpg

I would like to know how they are handling disabled persons like myself who go through the no bag line and the new scanners. If chosen I can get off my scooter and hobble through the detector but many people cannot get out of wheel chairs or off scooters to walk through. This also means the scooters and wheelchairs are not checked at all which is a security risk.

I would like to know how they are handling disabled persons like myself who go through the no bag line and the new scanners. If chosen I can get off my scooter and hobble through the detector but many people cannot get out of wheel chairs or off scooters to walk through. This also means the scooters and wheelchairs are not checked at all which is a security risk.

They're checked the same way they have been checked in the past - visually, and by poking around (with, of course, the usual level of Disney courtesy).

When we were there a few weeks ago, security were doing very thorough checks on every person in a scooter, wheelchair, and with a large stroller. They were being pulled out of the no bag line and any cargo areas on their scooter/wheelchair/stroller were being inspected. No one, except those of us in tight fitting tees and shorts with nothing on but a MagicBand, was getting waved through. They even had my husband lift his shirt going through the no bag line, so that they could confirm it was just a phone on his belt.

They're not putting everyone through the metal detectors. Just a few.

I swear if the WDW turns into the nightmare security like at the airport I am selling my DVC.

About to hop on a plane to Europe. I don't mind the airport security in Europe. They are fast, friendly, and efficient. I have never had a problem with them, even when we were interrogated 3 times returning to the US after 9/11. However, airport security and customs in the US are generally just rude, lazy, terrible, and non-sensical. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard almost every time I go through US security.

About to hop on a plane to Europe. I don't mind the airport security in Europe. They are fast, friendly, and efficient. I have never had a problem with them, even when we were interrogated 3 times returning to the US after 9/11. However, airport security and customs in the US are generally just rude, lazy, terrible, and non-sensical. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard almost every time I go through US security.

I had a wonderful experience with European airline security, returning from London. Due to availability, we flew from London to Paris, and then from Paris to Toronto, and from Toronto to home. My daughter had a gel-filled Adipose squeeze toy, which we both understood might not make it through security, as it was definitely over the size limit for liquids and gels. So we were both fully prepared to say goodbye to the wee fellow.

5192eR0O-HL._SY355_.jpg

In London, the security lady did her best to squeeze it into one of their clear bags, grinning hugely the entire time. Its wee feet stuck out, but she said that was fine.

In Paris, the security gentleman looked at it, poked its belly, and giggled. Then waved us on.

In Toronto, the CBSA person looked puzzled and said, "What's this?" "It's a toy," we explained. He squeezed it a couple times, snickered, and passed us through.

It's lovely when common sense prevails. :) And apparently Adipose bring joy everywhere they go.

there is 1 huge flaw in disney's new security measure...I'm not gonna say what it is here for obvious reasons, but if they don't fix it...it may not mean the parks are any safer.

it isn't even hard to figure out/notice either, but does require some effort.

I had a wonderful experience with European airline security, returning from London. Due to availability, we flew from London to Paris, and then from Paris to Toronto, and from Toronto to home. My daughter had a gel-filled Adipose squeeze toy, which we both understood might not make it through security, as it was definitely over the size limit for liquids and gels. So we were both fully prepared to say goodbye to the wee fellow.

5192eR0O-HL._SY355_.jpg

In London, the security lady did her best to squeeze it into one of their clear bags, grinning hugely the entire time. Its wee feet stuck out, but she said that was fine.

In Paris, the security gentleman looked at it, poked its belly, and giggled. Then waved us on.

In Toronto, the CBSA person looked puzzled and said, "What's this?" "It's a toy," we explained. He squeezed it a couple times, snickered, and passed us through.

It's lovely when common sense prevails. :) And apparently Adipose bring joy everywhere they go.

Ooooh, I love that. DS would be thrilled. We are Dr Who fans. DS is getting the Lego Tardis for xmas. Grandma and Grandpa were very excited to get it for him, because they are Dr Who fans too. DS would love the Adipose; it's one of his favorite Dr Who things, besides the Daleks of course.

Ooooh, I love that. DS would be thrilled. We are Dr Who fans. DS is getting the Lego Tardis for xmas. Grandma and Grandpa were very excited to get it for him, because they are Dr Who fans too. DS would love the Adipose; it's one of his favorite Dr Who things, besides the Daleks of course.

It's in stock at ThinkGeek!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5ed/?pfm=Search&t=doctor who adipose stress toy

(Shipping isn't cheap, but wow... they've got all the best toys!)

Disney is private property. They can say that no one can enter with their face covered. It's a reasonable request. Going to Disney World is not a right.

wrong there are laws against this RE the Kuwati airline last week.
The airline has this week pulled its connection between New York's JFK airport and London Heathrow after U.S. authorities threatened legal action over alleged discrimination.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) in September warned the Kuwaiti carrier that it had "unlawfully discriminated" against a passenger using an Israeli passport by refusing to sell him a ticket.

Last edited:

Cute perhaps but it doesn't change the fact it's a correct statement, I'll quote it for reference:
eeyoreandtink said:

As others who are also knowledgeable have chimed in, it's a CYA move for the lawyers and to make the people "feel" safe in their "safe place". Nothing more.

I don't think anyone in this thread is against tangible steps to increase "Safety", it's just that the steps being implemented (even if there were 100% metal detectors) don't actually do anything to protect against the identified problem / concern which would be a terrorist mass shooting. It does nothing in that regard and that is why people who understand what is going on are saying things like "the terrorists have won when Disney bans toy guns or costumes at parties".

It's true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter