New School Lunches

Rockbro

DIS Veteran
I don't know what forum this belongs in, and I'm not sure it belongs on the Boards at all, so the mods may have to move, delete, or yell at me...

I just read a news story about school lunches and there was a picture posted...

It was the oddest meal I have ever seen...

Pizza
Salad with a creamy white dressing
pineapple slices
apple slices
orange slices
and sliced black olives

Ummmm... a yuck mismatch. OLIVES????

EDIT: Mods... Just realized, I am way off course here. I should have been under "Just for Fun." Please move.

Unless the fruit slices were mixed together in a kind of fruit salad, I can tell you my kids would never be offered that much food. There are choices available each day for entree, fruit, veggie, etc. but they only get one entree, one fruit, and one veggie per meal. That is it.

I retired a few years back, but it sounds like an entree and 5 choices on the fruit/veggie bar that we had in my area. (I've never seen olives as a choice on the bar here, but it makes sense on pizza day IMO and the kids who love olives would be thrilled.) Before some of the latest healthy lunch initiatives were cancelled, we had gotten up to 8 choices on the fruit/veggie bar each day. For each meal, kids were expected to take a milk, the entree, and at least two choices from the bar.

Last edited:
The school lunches are carefully planned and balanced. Our kids are only allowed to take one fruit with lunch but they can buy more.

Is this the picture? I saw it in USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ew-lunch-routine-reopened-schools/3336490001/

c2a25bee-2448-472c-ab75-0589f22e28ca-AP_School_Lunch.JPG

I agree that looks nasty.

I can't figure out what looks nasty about it? The pizza doesn't exactly look gourmet, but the fruit and veggies look fine. It's not highly organized because children chose what they wanted. I would not choose olives, but some people love them and would want them on their pizza or their salad or even alone. (I would be happy to have them separate from the pizza so I wouldn't have to pick them out.)

I haven't read the article, but I'm guessing COVID changes are that the fruit/veggie bar is not self serve anymore and kids have to point out what they want?

Last edited:
I can't figure out what looks nasty about it? The pizza doesn't exactly look gourmet, but the fruit and veggies look fine. It's not highly organized because children chose what they wanted. I would not choose olives, but some people love them and would want them on their pizza or their salad or even alone. (I would be happy to have them separate from the pizza so I wouldn't have to pick them out.)
The pizza looks disgusting, olives are fine, oranges are fine, kiwis look fine to me because I don’t mind the skin, most most kids do. Personally, just make it simple, sandwich, apple, water. I’m a very adventurous eater, but for feeding a large crowd on a budget, get back to room temperature easy options. When I was in elementary, we ate in the gym with benches that came down from the walls, some kids went home for lunch, some brought lunch, some bought the “box lunch.” I loved it, my mom was super healthy, some days the box lunch had peanut butter and grape jelly on white bread, I was in heaven.

We called ours cardboard in hs. Something about it tho. Happy to get it almost every time! High schooler taste buds aren't all that :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter