New Reservations Cancellation Policy

Cheshire Figment

<font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend
Disney has just announced that effective October 31, 2013, the reservations guarantee policy that has been in effect for selected restaurants will be in effect for all table service restaurants in the Parks and Resorts, and will include operating participants as well as Disney owned and operated.

Here are some questions and answers:

Why was my credit card charged?

As of October 31, our cancellation policy expanded to all table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World Resort (including operating participants). When booking a reservation at these restaurants, Guests are required to provide a credit card to hold a reservation and will be notified they will be charged $10 per person if the cancellation isn't made at least one day in advance. Other locations, such as Hoop-Dee-Do Musical Revue or Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, require pre-paid reservations. Guests are reminded that the restaurant will charge the full pre-paid amount for each person in the party if the Guest is unable to cancel the reservation at least the day in advance.

What is your cancellation policy?

Beginning October 31, all table-service locations will begin using the cancellation policy already in place at select restaurants on property. When booking a reservation at these restaurants, Guests will be required to provide a credit card to hold a reservation and will be charged $10 per person if the cancellation isn't made at least the day in advance. Pre-paid locations will continue to retain the full, pre-paid amount if Guests are unable to honor the reservation and are unable to cancel the reservation one day in advance. Special dining events and packages such as Fantasmic! packages, New Years Eve dinners, Victoria & Albert's reservations may have different cancellation requirements.

When is the latest I can cancel my reservation without being charged a fee?

Guests can cancel up to 11:59 p.m. the day prior to their reservation without being charged.

Why have you expanded your cancellation policy?

Our policy reduces the number of no shows at our restaurants and ensures all of our Guests will have more opportunity to dine at our table service locations.

I am dining at a location after Oct. 31, but I booked it prior to the location utilizing the cancellation policy. Will my credit card be charged if I do not cancel within the cancellation window or do not honor my reservation?

Reservations booked on or after October 31 will be required to adhere to the cancellation policy. Guests who booked reservations before Oct. 31 were not informed of the policy or asked for their credit card information; therefore, these Guests will not be charged if they do not honor their reservations or cancel outside of the cancellation window. However, if the Guest makes modifications to the reservation on or after October 31, he or she will be informed of the cancellation policy, asked for credit card information, and must adhere to the cancellation policy.

How do I cancel a reservation?

A special phone line that only handles dining cancellations is available for Guest convenience: 407-WDW-CNCL (939-2625). Alternatively, dining reservations may be booked or cancelled by visiting any table-service restaurant podium, Walt Disney World Resort Hotel concierge or calling 407-WDW-DINE (939-3163) or DVC Member Services (for Members only). Guests may also make and cancel reservations by visiting www.DisneyWorld.com/Dining

Not a problem AFAIC. I'm sure others will be outraged, but I'm in favor of it.

I'm not opposed to it, I just hope that Disney is willing to make exceptions due to unforseen circumstances.

We (like many others!) like to have a TS meal on our travel day. We don't go to the parks and like to relax and have a nice meal. Already we make sure not to book something with the CC guarentee in case we have travel delays. Now that it's extended to all TS, our only option is to take the chance, or not have a sit down meal.

Our last trip we cancelled O'hana the day of because our flight was cancelled and we ended up flying into Tampa, renting a car and arriving hours later than planned. Luckily this was before the policy - but I would assume they would have made an exception.

UGH. I'm not at all opposed to requiring people to notify them they are not coming prior to their reservation time, but I am opposed to the day before. We never just skip out on a reservation without letting the restaurant know, but there have definitely been a few times that things have changed during our day that have led to us contacting them the day of the meal, or sometimes even a couple of hours prior to the meal and canceling. Now, if we do that, we are going to be charged a lot of money. I would rather see the policy that if you no show without contacting them prior to your dining time that there is a penalty. I guess we will definitely no longer be making ADRs for arrival day. I wouldn't assume they are going to make exceptions for late flights etc. I have seen some posts that people have had some unforeseen circumstances and the charges were not removed.

Good rule for the people that have taken advantage of the system. I do second those with concerns about unforeseen circumstances. What if your child wakes up puking? Now you run the risk of every TS being an issue instead of a select few. We shall see how it goes. Now making ADRs make not be as competitive ;).

Yes, I agree with a few of the PPs. In general, I don't have a problem with it, but then there are the exceptions, like a travel day. So I guess, if you do the DDP, you can either plan a Siggie meal, and burn up your credits that way, take your chances that you won't encounter a problem, or dine at two TS restaurants on the same day. I know some of the restaurants are still, in general, quite free for walk ups unless you have a large party...at least on weekdays. We have a friend who works at Prime Time and she has said that they have lots of empty tables during the week! I know we have done walk ups during several trips earlier this year, of course with smaller sized parties (could fit at a 4top or smaller). the Plaza is another we have done walk ups with...trying to think of the others... On our June trip we made our ressies for 9 out of our 11 TS restaurant meals the DAY of the meal!! And we got everything we wanted with the exception of BOG!! :confused3
Makes me wonder how they are really doing??

I'm going to second the 'I'm ok with it in theory but a day before seems extreme' thought. Sometimes in th course of a day, on vacation none the less, plans go awry. When we were there in Jan we had an ADR for Chef Mickeys. That am the kids were begging for Jiko's. So even though I canceled 12 hrs ahead, and Disney made MUCH more money on dinner we got hit w a $50 fee. I knew it would happen and swallowed it, but was annoyed. We may become a walk up family.

From a "years in the restaurant biz" perspective, I totally get it.
From a family oriented vacation view, it is a little harder to swallow.
That is one reason I rarely book dinner reservations. I don't mind doing breakfasts and the occasion lunch, especially when we go in late August and want a break from the heat, but you just never know how kids are going to feel at 7pm.
Maybe they had "too much day", maybe they are perfectly fine.
You can't know that a whole day before...

I never had a problem with it when it was just Signatures. I thought it was appropriate under the circumstance. This, I'm not loving.
However the upside is that maybe for those of us who DON'T book many dinners, more openings will be available on the day of... There are so many lovely places to eat that I always find something on short notice I am happy with.

Can someone tell me if the "11:59 p.m. the day prior to their reservation" means that the 11:59 p.m. is based on Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time during the time of year when it is observed in the U.S.) since WDW is located in Florida? It does not seem to say so in the statement posted above as taken from the Disney FAQ. Thankfully, I've never had to cancel any of the dining reservations I've had in the past, but with the deposit requirement being extended to apparently ALL the table service restaurants, I think it's about time for me to find out from someone who may have had experience cancelling dining reservations on the Disney system. Thanks!

I like it. Out of all our trips the only time we ever had to cancel a reservation was the day my oldest DS woke up with what we think was food poisoning on our last day in the parks in 1989 when our DS's were 3.5 and 5.5. They obviously have too many no shows because people think it's no big deal to just not show up.

I have actively avoided those restaurants since having my son knowing anything could happen with him preventing me from making the ADR.

So I guess now I have to avoid all ADRs and pray for walk-ups. This blows.

Can someone tell me if the "11:59 p.m. the day prior to their reservation" means that the 11:59 p.m. is based on Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time during the time of year when it is observed in the U.S.) since WDW is located in Florida? It does not seem to say so in the statement posted above as taken from the Disney FAQ. Thankfully, I've never had to cancel any of the dining reservations I've had in the past, but with the deposit requirement being extended to apparently ALL the table service restaurants, I think it's about time for me to find out from someone who may have had experience cancelling dining reservations on the Disney system. Thanks!

It means 11:59 pm Orlando time, the day before your reservation. It's based on the eastern time zone.

1) G-R-E-A-T NEWS !!!
2) I have been waiting for the no-show penalty to be expanded.
3) Now, it goes to all TS eateries.
4) The policy should
. . . reduce the number of double and triple bookings
. . . reduce the numbers of no-shows
5) Hallelujah.

6) A special phone line that only handles dining cancellations is available for Guest convenience: 407-WDW-CNCL.
7) You can still cancel by calling 407-WDW-DINE.

I believe they currently make exceptions for sick kids and things. I'd only expect that to change if people start using that as the go to excuse for same day cancellations.

I'm in favor of the policy. When they starting doing it for certain restaurants in conjunction with the inability to double book it really opened up availability.

Can someone tell me if the "11:59 p.m. the day prior to their reservation" means that the 11:59 p.m. is based on Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time during the time of year when it is observed in the U.S.) since WDW is located in Florida?

Correct.

Good is all I can say. It's about stinkin' time to make people who abuse the system accountable and will hopefully curb those who book 10 reservations for multiple times so the day of they can pick what suits them.

I am generally in favor of this... although I won't book a meal in advance for my arrival day if flying now.

It would be easier to "swallow" if MDE would report standby times for restaurants... :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter