New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you ! Someone who understood what I said and how I said it. I leave nothing to chance.

While I understand having all your ducks in a row...it doesn't absolve Disney from having this flaw in their reservation system. Not everyone is experienced in the ins and outs of Disney planning. If they were we wouldn't need this board to educate us. I think the poster was a little fustrated they were told one thing and another happened.

I also NEVER received an e-mail regarding the changes.

I wonder if it is a flaw of the system or the fact that it is new and training is somewhat lacking. I know from my work when a new system is implemented functionality does change. Those implementing don't always fully understand the operating issues of the staff working directly on the system. Usually issues will pop up in the first few days that need to be dealt with. The feedback needs to go back to the developers/implementers to determine how the new system should deal with the issue. The more astute users will quickly develop 'work-arounds'. The difficulty with that is that they may not communicate the problems/solutions to others and maybe the work around causes more problems. I find it hard to believe that a reservation system can't 'hold' a room while details get sorted out. Holding the reservation is usually the first step.

As for knowing your points and how you want to use them, especially if you have multiple contracts, resorts, use years etc. That is very important. Members need to take responsibility for the best use of their points unless they are willing to have MS make the decisions. They may not always be the best.

I wonder if it is a flaw of the system or the fact that it is new and training is somewhat lacking.

Hasn't the flaw always been there? Haven't we heard multiple cases where someone canceled an existing reservation to free the points to switch to a new one, and suddenly the new one isn't available?

MS should be able to lock a room for a reasonable length (depending on how long the transactions typically take - say 10 minutes) to complete a transaction properly without losing it from one screen to another.

Hasn't the flaw always been there? Haven't we heard multiple cases where someone canceled an existing reservation to free the points to switch to a new one, and suddenly the new one isn't available?

MS should be able to lock a room for a reasonable length (depending on how long the transactions typically take - say 10 minutes) to complete a transaction properly without losing it from one screen to another.

It happened to me while the CM was switching me over from BWV to a GVIR at VB. We were 3 months out from the desired dates. Within a few seconds, both reservations were gone. The problem was fixed for me on the Friday before the trip began on the following Sunday and we were very happy with our VB stay. We had made alternative SSR arrangements for the stay. When I try to switch now, I have made it a habit to ask if there are a number of the "new" villas available.

Bobbi:goodvibes

pyrxtc.....your comment wasn't exactly harsh, but you should make sure you understand circumstances before you level criticism. We were in somewhat of a unique circumstance, being in Florida with a tropical storm bearing down, no internet access, trying to make last minute contingency plans. While I do agree with you that when making reservations you should have all your ducks in a row, as I almost always do, there may be 1 in 100 times that that just simply isn't possible, such as this case.

The point I was simply making was that, under the old system, when the MS rep found the availability, she would have been able to hold it while we checked on which contract to use and, even though I was in the 1 in 100 circumstance of not being prepared and needing to confirm a point balance through MS before completeing the reservation, I would have been able to complete the reservation. Because the new system was set up differently, I was not. I was just confirming that this aspect of the new reservation system is, in fact, different from the old system.

So yes, under the way the new system is set up I am the one who lost the reservation because I wasn't fully prepared. You are right about that. What you fail to recognize, and it's really the only point I'm making, is that the new system is set differently and that, prepared or not, I would have been able to complete that reservation under the old system.

This is a reasonable thing to do but alas sometimes things are not reasonable.

Denise in MI

I think the most amazing thing is that MS has no recourse, in these situations. It seems the member is usually the loser.

I think the most amazing thing is that MS has no recourse, in these situations. It seems the member is usually the loser.
They can't generate a unit or reservation that is not there and can't, or shouldn't, put one member ahead of others on a whim.

Having gone thru the Thanksgiving reservation period for 11 month bookers for next year, I guess the new policy is working out just fine. Based on posts on the results thread just about everyone is getting what they want on the first call. Looks like DVC knew what it was doing after all.:thumbsup2

Even at dvc early commitments to DVC seem to be down with the economy (people still need to buy airline tickets, park tickets etc, DVC definitely picked the best year for a test. I know I am a lot slower finalizing my reservations than I would be if cash flow were better.

bookwormde

Having gone thru the Thanksgiving reservation period for 11 month bookers for next year, I guess the new policy is working out just fine. Based on posts on the results thread just about everyone is getting what they want on the first call. Looks like DVC knew what it was doing after all.:thumbsup2
I won't say that unless I get my standard view 1BR at BWV for NYE later on this month. Thanksgiving is just a blip. Christmas and NYE will be the REAL test.

I won't say that unless I get my standard view 1BR at BWV for NYE later on this month. Thanksgiving is just a blip. Christmas and NYE will be the REAL test.
We've cycled through almost a whole year with this change (June I think). As I posted on another thread, even if that week is a flop, I think the change has been a success. We knew going in there would be winners and losers and that some of the losers would have been winners under the old system in all likelihood. We also know that there WERE losers under the old system even at 9 am day 1 in some cases. There wille eventually be posts from those that were unsuccessful and feel they would have been successful under the old system. ONLY DVC has enough info to truly compare for both the old and new reservation variations. I think we all know this is likely to be a moving target as the membership figures out the new system and learns to use and abuse it. Those difficult options will likely get more difficult over time.

We have never tried to go over the Christmas / NYE time period. I know it's packed and that's one reason why but it's something we might consider in another year or two. Is the general experience that you either have to book your home resort at exactly 11 months or you are SOL if you wait for 7 months? Does anybody ever have success booking at a resort that's not their home resort at 7 months? I am assuming VWL would definitely be OUT of the running?

I tried to book a SV or BW view studio at BWV yesterday for 12/3 and both were already sold out by the time I called at about 1 pm. PV studios were available, but not what I wanted. I called today at 9:45 and was able to book 12/4 to 12/11 in a SV studio BWV. I am now WLed for a SV studio on 12/3.

Last year, I booked 12/6-12/20 by calling day-by-day at 9 am and was able to book a BWV studio. So, I am not sure that the new system is better for difficult reservations, but it may be no worse. -- Suzanne

We just got back from WDW. We stayed at SSR from 12/29-1/2. We were able to get our original reservations by booking early. I would add that it was our first and probably last trip for the Christmas/New Year time period. The whole area (Parks and DTD) were really to crowded for our preferences. We normally go to WDW during off peak times to avoid the crowd. This year we thought that it would be nice to see the lights and decorations. After our first two days in the parks we gave up and changed our tickets to non-expiring and will use the remaining days on our next trip in October. We will not be competing for this time period any time in the near future. Good luck and Happy New year!!!

I tried to book a SV or BW view studio at BWV yesterday for 12/3 and both were already sold out by the time I called at about 1 pm. PV studios were available, but not what I wanted. I called today at 9:45 and was able to book 12/4 to 12/11 in a SV studio BWV. I am now WLed for a SV studio on 12/3.
Would love to know how long you are on the waitlist for 12/3. I'm sure it will come through for you.

If it comes through in the next week or so, it's probably because members are "walking". I doubt I am alone in wondering how widespread that will become and what, if anything, DVC will do about it. I personally don't think DVC will do anything about it in spite of what some have been told.

12/3 is a Thursday. So I wonder how many people will "walk" that date?

It seems to me that people who want the Sun-Thurs dates would walk on Friday and Saturday (when so many people don't want to use their points...at least it seems that way on this board)

I finally can call tomorrow to make my reservation for dedicated 2BR with 2Q at BCV.

I did call yesterday afternoon and just inquired how availability was looking for next week so far. The MS rep told me that availability looked good...at the moment. I pressed her a bit about call volume for this specific type unit, and while she didn't have much to say, I think if I call on Monday, I *should* be okay. Cautious is probably how I feel right now, rather than completely worried.

You have to wonder about the real numbers, though. Suzanne is the first one to report having to WL her first day. The members of this board are a small population of the actual DVC membership. I wonder how many others have had that happen so far.

I don't like using points for the weekend but, I have a BW view. I understand that you can't stay in this room except with points? It being a special occasion...I'll use the points if I must.

I don't like using points for the weekend but, I have a BW view. I understand that you can't stay in this room except with points? It being a special occasion...I'll use the points if I must.
It's true. The Boardwalk view units are reserved for members paying with points. They are not even available to members who book for cash through MS.

I believe the same is true at the BCV for the dedicated 2 bedroom units with 2 Queen beds in the second bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter