New Orleans transportation

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Looking for some info for airport transfers and transportation around town in New Orleans. We usually like to book a town car for airport transfers when we travel but I'm having a time finding one online for New Orleans. Any recommendations?

If you're adults and big kids only, I'd just Uber. If you have car seat aged kids, I would use the official shuttle from DCL. $25 pp one-way.

If you're adults and big kids only, I'd just Uber. If you have car seat aged kids, I would use the official shuttle from DCL. $25 pp one-way.
That will work I guess. There is a tight schedule to get where we need to be that day, but I guess Uber will work. I just like the idea of having a car waiting. Can you pre-book Uber like you do a car service?

My family was just in New Orleans for Christmas. I researched town cars, airport shuttles, Ubers and cabs. For the 4 of us, it was cheapest to take a cab to and from the airport. The cab fee is standardized, so you know what it is before you get in the cab. There were several cabs lined up at the cab stand at midnight on Christmas Eve, so I don’t think availability will be an issue.

We stayed on the edge of the Quarter near Frenchmen’s Street. Our plan was to use the riverfront trolly line (the French Market stop was across the street) and walk. But the river front trolly line was damaged during the storms a few months before and had not yet been repaired. I don’t know if it’s running yet or not. So we used Uber to get around when we couldn’t walk.

My family was just in New Orleans for Christmas. I researched town cars, airport shuttles, Ubers and cabs. For the 4 of us, it was cheapest to take a cab to and from the airport. The cab fee is standardized, so you know what it is before you get in the cab. There were several cabs lined up at the cab stand at midnight on Christmas Eve, so I don’t think availability will be an issue.

We stayed on the edge of the Quarter near Frenchmen’s Street. Our plan was to use the riverfront trolly line (the French Market stop was across the street) and walk. But the river front trolly line was damaged during the storms a few months before and had not yet been repaired. I don’t know if it’s running yet or not. So we used Uber to get around when we couldn’t walk.
How much were your short Uber rides between the hotel and tourist spots?

You can enter start and stop addresses in Uber/Lyft to get an idea of fares, just remember they use surge pricing during high demand times. Just don't confirm pick-up when you're looking at pricing. We've used ride share in NOLA and don't ever remember having a particularly long wait time, especially from airport to hotel.

My best friend and I are visiting New Orleans at the end of the month. We plan to take a cab from the airport and Uber the other times we need rides.
Looks like Uber it is. Last time we were in New Orleans, 15 years ago, we walked everywhere.

We were there in February and just took a cab from the airport to the hotel. Once at the hotel we just walked everywhere. We stayed at the Marriott downtown near the Riverwalk and it was very easy to just walk everywhere. We also just took a cab back the airport.

I took a cab from the airport and then either walked or took the light rail (can't remember the exact name) everywhere. I was on the edge of the French Quarter.

ETA: I looked it up and I took the Canal Streetcar - CityPark/Museum line from the french quarter up to City Park and back to do a run. Super easy to use but not fast at all.

Last edited:
We were just there two weeks ago - you can reasonably walk most places if you're in a central location.

Cabs or Uber works best for airport transportation - shuttles are the same price or more and are a lot slower.

We took the cable cars a lot (get a multi-day Jazzy Pass at most CVS/Walgreens or on their app. It's not the best choice if you are pressed for time or if it's a really busy time of the day, but otherwise, it was good enough. We did one other Uber - to dinner, since we were pretty dressed up (Commander's Palace) and didn't want to squeeze into a trolley.

I live in New Orleans, just outside the French Quarter. The riverfront streetcar still isn't running, but the one that goes Uptown (to the Garden District) from the French Quarter is. We have a car, but I hate trying to find street parking (including in front of our house), so I rarely use it unless going to the suburbs. Uber is cheap, fast, and reliable. And depending on where you're staying and what you want to see, I'd recommend your own two feet for most things. Super flat and easily walkable.

We were just there last week and also found that a lot of attractions offer transportation that you can add to your ticket if you need it. We stayed right next to Jackson Square, so we walked pretty much everywhere.

We will be pressed for time for sightseeing. Attending a multi-day event so we will only have a couple of half-days to see the sights.

Looks like Uber it is. Last time we were in New Orleans, 15 years ago, we walked everywhere.
Ok, I got the Uber info from DH. Each Uber was between $9 and $12 not including tip for an XL vehicle (we had 4 adults).

We mostly just went from one end of the French Quarter to the other. Also went to the Superdome and back for a Saints game.

Ok, I got the Uber info from DH. Each Uber was between $9 and $12 not including tip for an XL vehicle (we had 4 adults).

We mostly just went from one end of the French Quarter to the other. Also went to the Superdome and back for a Saints game.
Thanks! Those are great stats to know for budgeting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter