new military discount question and budget question

auralia

DIS Veteran
We are headed down to the world nov 30 after school (will get in at about midnight... driving) We will check out december 8 staying in a studio near hospitality house at OKW (dvc member currently wait listed at wilderness lodge and BLT but i wont hold my breath). Dh is AD military and I just heard that the military discounts will be extending and that it is good for MVMCP on dec 2 as well.

My plan is to get the military 4 day hopper, do the christmas party on Dec 2, and a day at sea world because I am told admission is free for military members (we have never been). This gives us 2 down days, 3 if we don't do sea world.

So first questions. My children are 5 DD and DS 2. This will be DD fifth trip to the world and DS second. Is sea world a good idea? or will they just be bored? I have never been but are we better off with another down day instead of sea world? We will have our car so getting there isn't a problem.

I am planning on giving the kids each 100$ spending money and budgeting 100$ per day for food. I plan to order some breakfast foods and lunch meats and bread for some of our meals from garden grocer and that isn't counted in the 100$ per day figure. I figure we can split 2 counter service meals at most meals and will do maybe one or two table service meals during the whole trip. I'm not an expensive eater but DH can be. Is the 100$ a day reasonable?

I've been buying 100$ in disney gift cards at target ever month and we will have close to 500$ in rewards on our visa (we charge everything and pay it off every month no running balance ever).

Now about the military discounts. I know I can buy 6 tickets. My brother is thinking of meeting us in Florida with his wife and daughter. I know I can buy him tickets so long as we are there at the same time and we activate them for him correct? But, can i book him a room under the military rate for the hotels? He would get in after us so we could be there to flash id if necessary when they come. I have never had to show my ID at the hotels when I have used the military discount though so is this even necessary? Can I book it all under his name or does it have to be under my husbands? It would make it much more likely that they would go if they could take advantage of the deals and then my DD could see her cousin as we currently live 1400 miles away so it would be GREAT if we could help them make it happen, but I'm not a rule breaker so I'd appreciate any input. I was also thinking of putting my DD on their room reservation too just so she could access the pool at their resort with her cousin if the temps are warmer (i'm thinking AoA if theres availability so no DVC pool hopping there). Because DD would be "on the room" does that help with using the military discount in any way?

Also my brother is on a low carb type diet so any eating suggestions are appreciated to accommodate that. He is a counter service kind of guy for the most part.

Thanks guys, sorry its so long!

There is no official announcement at this time of any Military Discounted Tickets after September 30 (other than MNSSHP and MVMCP). There have been rumors, but until there is an official (by Disney) announcement you cannot do anything concerning tickets.

$100 spending money for a 5 and 2 year old? Did you mistype this? $100 a day for food may not be enough, depending on where you eat.

I agree with the PP about the military discount tickets. There has been no formal announcement that this offer will be extended, so I wouldn't count on this until it is. I would bet it will be extended another year, but with the war in Afghanistan winding down, it's going to eventually end.

I would take advantage of the free Sea World visit; your kids will enjoy it. You can always leave if they don't.

http://www.herosalute.com/cavatx/index.html

I'm not sure I understand your hotels questions because it isn't clear where you are staying. Have you looked into Shades of Green? Your husband can book a room for you and one for your brother and family. I can tell you that we stay at hotels using a government (military) discount quite frequently and they almost always ask to see my husband's id card.

the military extension is supposed to come out on wednesday http://www.militarydisneytips.com/2013-Disney-Armed-Forces-Salute.html

Some ITR offices have started advertising early. I realize it isn't in stone I am, like most people here, a crazy disney planner.

I am mostly concerned if it is ok to get my brother the hotel discount if it comes out. I know all the ins and outs of the military tickets assuming they haven't changed. I was hoping for the answer to this so as soon as the discount comes out I can reserve a room at AoA which i assume will fill up pretty fast for our dates. But, I don't want to do that if it's not an ok thing to do. I don't cheat the system no reusing mugs for me!

Also very interested in what people think of sea world for the kids.

The kids get 100$ each from grandma and grandpa for christmas. I figured I'd let them use it at disney if they wanted to.

The biggest threat to my food budget is dole whip and staring rolls lol.

YES, take your little one to Seaworld!! :cool1: I grew up in San Diego and we we went often to that one, in fact in the space needle you could see one of the houses we lived in and the apartment building I lived in in the 90's. :thumbsup2 Anyway, you kids will have a blast. Besides, it's free! DH and I went to the one in San Antonio last year. We are going to Busch Garden's in Tampa instead this year. As for spending money for the kids, I find that amount good for the time you are there. Heck, we budget $50 a day for our kids, but they are a bit older. As for food, we budgeted $150 for our family of 5 when they were all on the kids meals, now that we have 4 adults and 1 kid we are going to up that, in fact we may even do the DDP next year for our family vacation.

The military offer is for military members and their immediate family regarding hotel discount, tickets are more flexible. So yes your DH would need to be the one checking in. We have had check our Id's check before so that is a hit or miss. Keep in mind that if you add your DH and your DD depending were you are making reservations you might exceed the number of people allowed in the room. Also you are paying extra per person added to the reservation. Good Luck and enjoy you trip!

I have to chime in on sea world. We go bc we are military and you just can't beat free. One thing we like to do is go on our first day before hitting the wdw parks. That way we are not disneyfied because while it's fun it's not Disney.

Just took DS5 to SeaWorld (San Diego) last month and he loved it. We wanted to see all the shows, so didn't ride more than a few rides. Your kids will enjoy it.

Since you're staying at OKW, I think it would be odd for your DH to check in your brother at another resort using the discount, but it may be permissible. I'd call Disney booking directly, explain that you're both DVC & military, would like one room with a military discount for extended family in addition to the room you already have on points, and see what they say as to booking AOA with a discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter