New mask requirements experience on 7/30

Colo17

Mouseketeer
July 30 was our final day of a 9 day visit. Huge lines some days, others not so much. Generally went well. On July 30 crowds were way down. Ride operators were quite confused on mask requirements - Speedway required them entering the queue, Haunted Mansion did not require them until door, Big Thunder required them when you hit the physical entry (but still in the sun). Signs on all buildings, including restrooms (although generally ignored there). Water park had signs on buildings and restrooms (also ignored - nobody had a mask with them there anyway). In the outdoor queues probably 20% of people either didn't wear mask or had them off nose and/or mouth. Saw several cases of parents being removed from rides where small kids would not comply. Rides also ran quite a bit slower because of additional step of reminding guests to "properly" wear a mask. Carousel probably took twice as long per cycle due to mask check since there is only one operator.

By the way, we saw maybe 5% of folks wearing masks around the parks. Kids included. Didn't seem to change on July 30, except in the actual rides.

Interesting that while CDC now recommends masks when indoor in parts of the country that are hot spots that Disney would take it upon themselves to add masks. As of yesterday Universal was leaving this up to the guests. Given the heat we had on our trip would likely have cancelled had this happened before we went, rather than the last day.

Sounds like a mess!
Last fall there were no problems and everyone complied. Of course, there were also a lot less guests and everyone knew what to expect.
Now you have a ton more people, not enough CMs to enforce, and mask policies that are different everywhere that keep changing. Then they pack you into shows, shoulder to shoulder with other strangers, remove all physical distancing markers, take down all the plexiglass, and expect the public to understand what they are trying to do.
We have a mid-August trip coming up. Hopefully Disney figures this out.

We are at DL and the 30th was our last park day. From our experience, most rides with outdoor queues did not make people mask until entering the ride. The funny thing to me is that on the 26-28th, about half of the guests were wearing masks, but the 29th and 30th it seemed more like 20% (unless in indoor ride lines on the 30th of course). Maybe it is because our last two days were much busier, but I was surprised that every other party we passed had a mask on, even outside, before the mandate.

Thanks for sharing and would appreciate more mask-mandated experience reports in terms of lines and crowds. Sometimes wait times don’t tell the whole story.

We are going august 14-21 and are getting quite nervous given traveling with kiddos, but want to still have a good (even if modified) trip.

Thanks for sharing and would appreciate more mask-mandated experience reports in terms of lines and crowds. Sometimes wait times don’t tell the whole story.

We are going august 14-21 and are getting quite nervous given traveling with kiddos, but want to still have a good (even if modified) trip.
Read the last 10 pages or so of the There and Just Back thread. Lots of first hand experiences(hint: it’s all over the place in regards to rules and enforcement).

Read the last 10 pages or so of the There and Just Back thread. Lots of first hand experiences(hint: it’s all over the place in regards to rules and enforcement).

Thanks for the tip, I’m not on this board much - usually just news. Just had the convo with my wife yesterday and we agreed that whatever the enforcement is, I hope it normalizes by the time we go in a few weeks

July 30 was our final day of a 9 day visit. Huge lines some days, others not so much. Generally went well. On July 30 crowds were way down. Ride operators were quite confused on mask requirements - Speedway required them entering the queue, Haunted Mansion did not require them until door, Big Thunder required them when you hit the physical entry (but still in the sun). Signs on all buildings, including restrooms (although generally ignored there). Water park had signs on buildings and restrooms (also ignored - nobody had a mask with them there anyway). In the outdoor queues probably 20% of people either didn't wear mask or had them off nose and/or mouth. Saw several cases of parents being removed from rides where small kids would not comply. Rides also ran quite a bit slower because of additional step of reminding guests to "properly" wear a mask. Carousel probably took twice as long per cycle due to mask check since there is only one operator.

By the way, we saw maybe 5% of folks wearing masks around the parks. Kids included. Didn't seem to change on July 30, except in the actual rides.

Interesting that while CDC now recommends masks when indoor in parts of the country that are hot spots that Disney would take it upon themselves to add masks. As of yesterday Universal was leaving this up to the guests. Given the heat we had on our trip would likely have cancelled had this happened before we went, rather than the last day.

Thanks for the report. How exactly were the ride operators confused about the requirements? Are you saying that some of them didn't check when guests got on the ride? I'd think if anyone wouldn't be confused, it would be the ride operators, since by the time you are on the ride you are required to wear a mask.

Thanks for the report. How exactly were the ride operators confused about the requirements? Are you saying that some of them didn't check when guests got on the ride? I'd think if anyone wouldn't be confused, it would be the ride operators, since by the time you are on the ride you are required to wear a mask.
The confusion is that some rides have CMs requiring it as soon as you enter the official line and some are waiting until you actually enter a building. I’ve seen some are pushing strict enforcement, where others basically roll their eyes and shrug their shoulders. I’m sure it will even out just in time for them to (hopefully) lift the requirement. ;)

We’re on our 2nd full day with the new mask rule- enforcement is inconsistent, but they are constantly repeating it over the sound system and most rides are enforcing it well. We almost always see a mask sniffer or 2, but everyone at least has masks on.

The friendship boats from the BC are requiring masks. The boats at Ft Wilderness were not. Happy to see the boats coming up to speed on it.

So for the most part our experience is it’s working well. I’m seeing more people wearing masks outside as well, although the majority are not.

The confusion is that some rides have CMs requiring it as soon as you enter the official line and some are waiting until you actually enter a building. I’ve seen some are pushing strict enforcement, where others basically roll their eyes and shrug their shoulders. I’m sure it will even out just in time for them to (hopefully) lift the requirement. ;)

Ah, that make sense - I thought the OP was referring to the CMs who were operating the rides, checking seats, etc. Thanks for the explanation!

We’re on our 2nd full day with the new mask rule- enforcement is inconsistent, but they are constantly repeating it over the sound system and most rides are enforcing it well. We almost always see a mask sniffer or 2, but everyone at least has masks on.

The friendship boats from the BC are requiring masks. The boats at Ft Wilderness were not. Happy to see the boats coming up to speed on it.

So for the most part our experience is it’s working well. I’m seeing more people wearing masks outside as well, although the majority are not.
Interesting since boats aren't on the list of transportation/places where masks are required (the policy specifically states not required on ferry boats, which I realize can be interpreted differently), so I wouldn't have expected that. And they weren't required earlier in the year there.

Interesting since boats aren't on the list of transportation/places where masks are required (the policy specifically states not required on ferry boats, which I realize can be interpreted differently), so I wouldn't have expected that. And they weren't required earlier in the year there.
Maybe it depends on the boat. Ferries are open. The transport we used from WL to MK in September was open. The boats we've taken from YC to HS have been enclosed

Maybe it depends on the boat. Ferries are open. The transport we used from WL to MK in September was open. The boats we've taken from YC to HS have been enclosed
True, it does say enclosed transportation, then specifies bus/monorail/skyliner, with no mention of the boats, but it could include those ones. But I wouldn't expect to see masks required on the boats to MK.

I feel so sorry for the CMs having to manage this. I've read that many have suffered abuses at the hands of angry guests. It's inconceivable to me that guests would take out frustrations on the poor CMs who are only doing what their employer tells them to do!!
Masks or no masks, (whatever the policy is) for our Oct trip, I'm going to try to make an effort to show extra kindness to CMs to try to make up for the "nasties".

OPs point about crowd declines is an interesting one. I wonder how much that is driven by locals staying home or switching to universal because they aren’t keen to wear masks in the heat. Seems unlikely there would be a huge drop in out of town guests already since people did not have much time to change travel plans

I feel so sorry for the CMs having to manage this. I've read that many have suffered abuses at the hands of angry guests. It's inconceivable to me that guests would take out frustrations on the poor CMs who are only doing what their employer tells them to do!!
Masks or no masks, (whatever the policy is) for our Oct trip, I'm going to try to make an effort to show extra kindness to CMs to try to make up for the "nasties".

Just hearing about all the abuse CMs are receiving because of something they cannot control is making me furious. People are jerkfaces, and it seems like they are even bigger jerkfaces now that the pandemic is worsening - people are thinking more about "me me me!" instead of "we". It's disgusting. Now to go make some stickers or even small business cards to give to the CMs to let them know how much I appreciate them when I go in December. Receiving the little "honors" cards from patients was one of the best feelings I've had as a nurse, and I really want to make sure the CMs know that they're amazing and Disney wouldn't be Disney without them.

I especially hate it for the CPs!

When they came back Guests were not having to wear masks indoors and now,all of a sudden, they have to deal with the change back to indoor masks and the Guests that are not happy about it!

Just hearing about all the abuse CMs are receiving because of something they cannot control is making me furious. People are jerkfaces, and it seems like they are even bigger jerkfaces now that the pandemic is worsening - people are thinking more about "me me me!" instead of "we". It's disgusting. Now to go make some stickers or even small business cards to give to the CMs to let them know how much I appreciate them when I go in December. Receiving the little "honors" cards from patients was one of the best feelings I've had as a nurse, and I really want to make sure the CMs know that they're amazing and Disney wouldn't be Disney without them.

They probably will not be allowed to accept your kindness…that is one of the reasons for mobile order to eliminate touching paper menus…
Sorry

OPs point about crowd declines is an interesting one. I wonder how much that is driven by locals staying home or switching to universal because they aren’t keen to wear masks in the heat. Seems unlikely there would be a huge drop in out of town guests already since people did not have much time to change travel plans
Or staying away because the risk level [of doing anything in large public settings, not just Disney] has gone up substantially as COVID rates rise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter