• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New internet packages

dcassetta

DIS Veteran
For those of you who have experienced the new Internet packages, how did they work? I understand there are three tiers, if you purchased one what were you able to access on it? For reference, the old free 50 MB always worked fine for me.

I’m using the middle tier ‘basic surf’ and it’s done everything I need it to. I can play my games, it uploads photos to the cloud and send pictures via text & Facebook.

No issues on connectivity.

On the Wish MV I used the middle tier and it was fine for my use - browsing the internet and uploading pictures.

I’ll probably try it, but interested in the one day usage. My dvc opening day will fall in the middle of my next cruise. Hoping one of the new tiers helps me book my 11 month booking. i think the middle tier is what I need.

If you purchase a day, is that based on 24 hours of access or a calendar day? Also, what is the discount for a second device?

I purchased top tier internet for my 4 night cruise for 120 bucks (I think it was between 32-36 dollars a day individually??) and it was fantastic. It worked all over the ship (except bathrooms which was fine). The speed was great for cruise ship internet. I was able to stream YouTube/HBO videos, music, and I was able to update a couple of apps that wouldn't open without an app store update. I uploaded a few pictures to my Facebook all pretty quick. The in app chat seemed a bit more responsive than the other ships as well with my mom receiving the texts pretty shortly after me sending them. My mom actually forgot to activate international purchasing on her card for Nassau and I was able to move my internet to her phone, have her log in and unlock the card then swap back with no issues. It did rain on the sea day and it may have been a bit spotty but I don't recall it hampering anything I wanted to do significantly. I didn't do any video calls but I wouldn't be surprised if it handled it ok.

There are three daily plans.

Stay connected for $10 a day - access to social media sites

Basic Surf for $20 a day - social media, surf the webs, send and receive emails.

Premium Surf for $30 a day - faster speed, stream music, make video calls on Facetime, Zoom, etc, watch short videos - it says it will NOT support watching Netflix and Hulu movies.

I am just passing on info, not personal experience. I suspect that's for one device and it can't be shared. But I don't know. With the free 50MB which i don't think it still offered, you could share if you logged out and let another person log in on another device.

I think it would be sad to see people on a cruise with their nose in their phones all day long . . but that's just me!

I suspect that's for one device and it can't be shared.
It's for one device at a time, but you can change which device is active whenever you wish.

Reports here indicate that the plans cost more on the Wish than on the Magic when you purchase them by the day, but that the price ends up the same if you purchase for the length of the cruise.

Finally, there is a discount for additional devices after the first.

Stay connected for $10 a day - access to social media sites

Basic Surf for $20 a day - social media, surf the webs, send and receive emails.

Premium Surf for $30 a day - faster speed, stream music, make video calls on Facetime, Zoom, etc, watch short videos - it says it will NOT support watching Netflix and Hulu movies.

It seems strange to me that accessing email would be more expensive that accessing social media. That all I need, so I guess I will have to do the middle package. I am going to miss the free 50

They were adding a new radio dome to Fantasy today. Hopefully, it’s the new internet.

I’m using the middle tier ‘basic surf’ and it’s done everything I need it to. I can play my games, it uploads photos to the cloud and send pictures via text & Facebook.

No issues on connectivity.

It's for one device at a time, but you can change which device is active whenever you wish.

Reports here indicate that the plans cost more on the Wish than on the Magic when you purchase them by the day, but that the price ends up the same if you purchase for the length of the cruise.

Finally, there is a discount for additional devices after the first.
Do you know if it’s possible to buy more than one plan? My family of 4 does not need the higher speeds simultaneously….could we buy 2 medium plans and 2 high speed, and change devices when we want to?

"On the Wish MV there were very few people with their nose in their phones."

They were too busy trying to figure out which deck they were on . . .

The "Social Media" plan is cheap because DCL wants you to post photos from the ships!

It seems strange to me that accessing email would be more expensive that accessing social media. That all I need, so I guess I will have to do the middle package. I am going to miss the free 50
I get 250-300 personal emails a day. Some companies will send me three sales pitches in a single day but it’s how I save money and things I need. Walk into Michael’s open my phone and pull up a discount. Walk into the local department store open up my phone pull a discount at the counter. Thankfully I got wise about 15 years ago and started giving any place that sells me stuff the same Internet address and saved my original one for family.

If iMessage stops working during the voyage, I wonder if the stay connected package would work? I assume any of the messenger services associated with social media would work, like Facebook messenger?

If iMessage stops working during the voyage, I wonder if the stay connected package would work? I assume any of the messenger services associated with social media would work, like Facebook messenger?
iMessage worked on the DCL guest/free wifi. I could read FB messenger, but I couldn’t send replies on the free wifi,

Same for me. All I need to do is access email once a day or so to make sure there are no emergencies. Couldn’t care less about social media. Next cruise I may try telling people to send me an iMessage instead of an email if there’s something that can’t wait until we get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter