New Holiday Party at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2023 Dates Revealed + New Frozen Castle Illumination!

Man, I was Looking so forward to this party during our stay in December. Now, I am not sure I should get tickets. I haven’t seen one positive review.

It’s being reported on https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-ticketed-event.981252/page-37#post-10771791 by @lentesta that refunds are being given to anyone who attended last night’s event who asks. Per @lentesta, the refunds are based on the extremely subpar show quality:

For examples of what went wrong, here are notes from our team who attended last night:
  • There were only two locations to check-in for the party:the entrance and at Vacation Fun.
    • The line to check in at Vacation Fun was more than 30 minutes.
    • CMs eventually started telling guests in the back of the line that it was better if they walked back to the front of the park, exited, and re-entered.
  • Rise of the Resistance's VQ slots were gone in minutes. It was down most of the night.

• MDE sent out hundreds of texts to guests who'd asked for tables, saying they'd be ready "in 10 minutes"
    • That was a technical error - tables were not actually available. Our team waited for 59 minutes for their table after receiving the "10 minutes" text.
    • Besides that, our team notes the Brown Derby was understaffed; the food portions were small; and the quality was not in line with the price or the wait.
  • The character greeting lines were chaos because of how the characters were grouped and rotated.
    • The character pairings were: Mickey & Minnie; Donald and Daisy; and Goofy and Pluto.
    • Because the lines were so long, you could've thought you were getting in line for Mickey & Minnie, but got Goofy & Pluto because M&M needed breaks.
    • So you lined up for some undetermined amount of time, for characters you were not sure to get. Disney should know that people expect to see the characters they line up for. This isn't something new or an obscure customer service principle.
  • The Tip Top Club "was a small, boring, dark space" with only 3 drinks". It should've been a highlight.

• There was apparently no "Plan B" for what to do if it rained.

• Our team said "we spent an enormous amount of time in lines for food, and an entire hour trying to figure out Brown Derby, plus wasted a ton more time waiting for the wrong characters that ended up getting rained out anyway."

Last edited:

It’s being reported on https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-ticketed-event.981252/page-37#post-10771791 by @lentesta that refunds are being given to anyone who attended last night’s event who asks. Per @lentesta, the refunds are based on the extremely subpar show quality:

That’s great. It means Disney management is aware they need to do better. Maybe they’ll cut off sales to future events. I don’t suppose there’s anything they can do about capacity in places like HBD. But if they limit attendance it should help. I hope a lot of people know about this & request refunds. Nothing gives Disney incentive to make improvements like losing cold hard cash.

I'd think the "free" thing at this party is the photo pass downloads of your pictures vs getting drinks/icecream/popcorn. I realize some photo pass stations were backed up and some that took pics before 8:30pm when the party started had. the watermark they couldn't get removed.

I'd love to know where to ask for a refund!
We were so disappointed in the event with the huge lines for any of the special party stuff. I mean, if you stopped for one photopass picture, one character meet, and at one of the special treat locations? That probably took up a good chunk of your party time. Felt bad for all the people waiting for Rise. Line was long and it was down a LOT.

And the added disappointment of the Skyliner not running for the party really annoyed us - since we specifically stayed in a Skyliner resort with the expectation of being able to use it. We left an hour before the party ended and the looooooooong walk to the Pop bus stop (of course it's the furthest one) was awful.

Here's what our party night looked like - rode TSMM, Slinky, Aliens, Smugglers, Star Tours, RnRC, Tower, Runaway Railway, TSMM, met Edna, met Frozone - and then we left.

Good job Disney giving refunds. That is first class.👍
Disney deserves absolutely no accolades here. This thing was a massive failure because they cut corners and cheaped out on every possible aspect of this while charging an insane premium. The “Christmas Overlay” of Hollywood Brown Derby was a little bit of Christmas tinsel/wreath in one corner of the restaurant. The “tip top bar” looked less well put together and elaborate than an Epcot festival booth. Their unique fireworks show was a recycled nearly 20 year old show. The characters weren’t even unique and there weren’t enough of them. This was literally the absolute bare minimum they could spend to charge for an “upcharge” event, and it showed. They wouldn’t be giving refunds if this thing wasn’t an absolute catastrophe at every level. When even the “media” you have invited and are comping are trashing your event, you’re in trouble.

I'd love to know where to ask for a refund!
We were so disappointed in the event with the huge lines for any of the special party stuff. I mean, if you stopped for one photopass picture, one character meet, and at one of the special treat locations? That probably took up a good chunk of your party time. Felt bad for all the people waiting for Rise. Line was long and it was down a LOT.

And the added disappointment of the Skyliner not running for the party really annoyed us - since we specifically stayed in a Skyliner resort with the expectation of being able to use it. We left an hour before the party ended and the looooooooong walk to the Pop bus stop (of course it's the furthest one) was awful.

Here's what our party night looked like - rode TSMM, Slinky, Aliens, Smugglers, Star Tours, RnRC, Tower, Runaway Railway, TSMM, met Edna, met Frozone - and then we left.
Call Disney Guest Services.

Man, I was Looking so forward to this party during our stay in December. Now, I am not sure I should get tickets. I haven’t seen one positive review.
Same. We were going to buy tickets for Nov 27 for our adults only trip but I wanted to see some feedback. Haven’t seen one positive review expect some saying rides were walks on exdept for Rise needing a VQ. Now I’m not sure if we should do Mickeys Christmas party or just save the money

Last edited:
Same. We were going to buy tickets for Nov 27 for our adults only trip but I wanted to see some feedback. Haven’t seen one positive review expect some saying rides were walks on expect for Rise needing a VQ. Now I’m not sure if AP we should do Mickeys Christmas party or just save the money
We did Mickey's Friday night and Jollywood Saturday. I would 100% do Mickey's again. We had a great time. Rode a bunch of stuff AND also got to experience party offerings.

Same. We were going to buy tickets for Nov 27 for our adults only trip but I wanted to see some feedback. Haven’t seen one positive review expect some saying rides were walks on exdept for Rise needing a VQ. Now I’m not sure if we should do Mickeys Christmas party or just save the money
I was taking my mom to this on Nov 29, thinking we’d have some cocktails and enjoy the sparkle - but it looks like the event was a series of lines and annoyance! I called this morning and switched us to the xmas party on the 30th, and made a 6:30 res for Jungle Skipper (wine!). I’d give Jollywood a try if it were just me, but Mom will not be pleased with that event as it stands…

I was taking my mom to this on Nov 29, thinking we’d have some cocktails and enjoy the sparkle - but it looks like the event was a series of lines and annoyance! I called this morning and switched us to the xmas party on the 30th, and made a 6:30 res for Jungle Skipper (wine!). I’d give Jollywood a try if it were just me, but Mom will not be pleased with that event as it stands…
I have watched a ton of reviews and one this morning was to the point ~

The event is not only restricted to less than half the park but EVERYTHING that is part of the event involves lines. Two shows, two specialty lounges, bars, food locations, characters ... even just checking in took a huge line. Huge ticket price to get in lines to spend more to buy special food and drink. They completely missed the mark which is sad because MK does it well.

Now you can't create all the attractions that MK has but they also have a parade, lots more characters, stage shows outside, dance parties outside, free cookies, special projection/fireworks and Christmas is ALL over. Time to get off their high horse with Galaxy Edge, it doesn't even exist in the stories and Star Wars actually does have a Christmas/Holiday. All it takes is some projecting and lighting and that area can totally change to a holiday theme. Put a dance party Star Wars style and pop up bar with special foods in Docking Bay.

Three words could have changed everything "Unleash the Villains" with all they learned or should I say didn't learn from that event (they also refunded those tickets). They can't drop the price but they certainly can fix lots of things and spread the party throughout the entire park. OR they accept they just can't figure it out and stop trying.

We bought tickets for our upcoming trip because we thought there would be a lot of "atmosphere." The initial info led us to believe they would limit attendance so that guests could experience all the special stuff (obviously didn't happen) and we thought that the music areas (other than Brown Derby) would be larger where you could just walk up and maybe even sit somewhere and enjoy it (at least standing tables where you could put your drink down and enjoy a snack). It also seemed like Brown Derby would be transformed into something with a jazz club like feeling--what a letdown!

I'll probably keep the tickets because we do have 2 teenagers who will want to ride rides and this is our only HS day.

Disney deserves absolutely no accolades here. This thing was a massive failure because they cut corners and cheaped out on every possible aspect of this while charging an insane premium. The “Christmas Overlay” of Hollywood Brown Derby was a little bit of Christmas tinsel/wreath in one corner of the restaurant. The “tip top bar” looked less well put together and elaborate than an Epcot festival booth. Their unique fireworks show was a recycled nearly 20 year old show. The characters weren’t even unique and there weren’t enough of them. This was literally the absolute bare minimum they could spend to charge for an “upcharge” event, and it showed. They wouldn’t be giving refunds if this thing wasn’t an absolute catastrophe at every level. When even the “media” you have invited and are comping are trashing your event, you’re in trouble.
I know your right. But I always call them out when I see them in the wrong with guest, so I thought I would do the same when they do right. (even though I do see your point completely)

While there seem to be some things Disney could do to improve the party, I am not hopeful that they will. It seemed to have too many people in light of the limited venues/shows offered, and it is ridiculous that entertainment did not run continuously at those venues. When it was time for one performer/group to go on break, another should have been brought in immediately to ensure that the entertainment continued for guests during the 4-hour event, but Disney chose not to spend the money to do that. Oh well, we do have tickets and will go to the party, but we will focus on attending the 2 new shows, going on rides, and watching JBJB.

This is so right--in MK, you just walk up and enjoy the entertainment, but at Brown Derby you have a timed entry. Insane that there would not be continuous entertainment in there.
and it is ridiculous that entertainment did not run continuously at those venues. When it was time for one performer/group to go on break, another should have been brought in immediately to ensure that the entertainment continued for guests during the 4-hour event, but Disney chose not to spend the money to do that.

I have watched a ton of reviews and one this morning was to the point ~

The event is not only restricted to less than half the park but EVERYTHING that is part of the event involves lines. Two shows, two specialty lounges, bars, food locations, characters ... even just checking in took a huge line. Huge ticket price to get in lines to spend more to buy special food and drink. They completely missed the mark which is sad because MK does it well.

Now you can't create all the attractions that MK has but they also have a parade, lots more characters, stage shows outside, dance parties outside, free cookies, special projection/fireworks and Christmas is ALL over. Time to get off their high horse with Galaxy Edge, it doesn't even exist in the stories and Star Wars actually does have a Christmas/Holiday. All it takes is some projecting and lighting and that area can totally change to a holiday theme. Put a dance party Star Wars style and pop up bar with special foods in Docking Bay.

Three words could have changed everything "Unleash the Villains" with all they learned or should I say didn't learn from that event (they also refunded those tickets). They can't drop the price but they certainly can fix lots of things and spread the party throughout the entire park. OR they accept they just can't figure it out and stop trying.
Absolutely!! Putting a band in the Commissary Lane area was a poor call - it's already tight and congested in there but now you want people to stop and watch the band? Yet, the majority of Galaxy's Edge was empty of people. Same with the area around Muppet Vision. And all the way down where the entrance to Toy Story Midway Mania used to be.

The area around Echo Lake looked festive as did Sunset Boulevard, but nowhere else really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter