• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New here from the WDW board, first drop trip booked and lost!

madmumof2

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I'm a long time member from the WDW planning board.

I've just booked Paris for the first time and it's last minute!

We were just going to go to Paris and sight see but figured since we're there...!

I've never been to Disneyland Paris so wanted to know what the main differences (apart from here only being 2 parks) are.

I've booked the Eurostar with avios (free!) and a hotel near gare du nord (otherwise I'd get lost!) and just bought our Disney tickets from atd.

I've never been to Paris either so wanted to know from people who have stayed off site how to get around Paris without a car.

I've read about the metro and it's all so confusing! I have no idea how close all the tourist attractions are to each other or what part of Paris they're in etc and google is just confusing me loll

This was a last minute booking, we weren't planning in going away this year (went to Florida last year and got married there) so I've not had time to do any research.

My husband can't join us as he has just started a new job and can't get any time off so it'll be me and my three children (10,7 and 2).

Can anyone give me any tips and advice about Paris and dlp?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, congratulations on your booking :goodvibes

I've never been to WDW so not really qualified to tell differences, but from common themes on here I suppose the biggest difference is the size.

The train line runs right to the gates (and i'm not exaggerating) of DLP. So once you're there, you can walk easliy between the main park, the studios and Disney Village, where there are shops/restaurants etc. Beyond Disney Village is Lake Disney, where some of the on-site hotels are situated. You probably won't go that far, but it's nice for a wander if you want to escape the crowds for a while.

I've heard others say that the main park at DLP is the most beautiful of all the Disney parks :cloud9: in particular the castle, so take time to admire the surroundings. Remember to visit the dragon under the castle. :thumbsup2Others have also said that many of the 'same' rides differ quite a bit, such as space mountain and big thunder mountain.

I can't help much with Paris I'm afraid, but I do know that many disers travel into Paris for day trips, so I'm sure you'll get some tips.

The best bit of advice I think really is to try not to compare too much (difficult, I know) and just take what you find. It's Paris, not Florida, and you won't have CM's falling over you......but, a smile and a bonjour goes an awful long way at DLP :)

Happy planning - take a look at some trip reports to prepare you for an average day :goodvibes

Been following your progress on the booking on FB, welcome to the DLP board of DIS :)

I'm another who hasn't been to WDW so not going to get involved in trying to compare the two. However next trip we're staying at DLP but planning a couple of day trips to Paris. I've used
http://www.tripomatic.com/trip/Paris-in-One-Day-Itinerary/ to try and plan our sight seeing and
http://www.vianavigo.com/ to plan our travel arrangements.

Was speaking to my boss's wife yesterday, she's a travel rep/adviser and to give you an idea of a size she says we should be able to walk along the Seine from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower in about 45 minutes. I prefer to plan our days walking where possible as I feel you miss so much popping up and down on metros, it's how we did London, but then I have 2 grown up sons so don't have to plan for little legs !

I'm sure you'll all have a fab time, only one thing did you mention on one of your FB posts that your daughter is a Tinkerbell fan? I don't think she's at DLP anymore, hopefully someone else will come along and say I'm wrong. :confused3

Enjoy your planning :)

Hi,

I have been lucky to go WDW 12 times and DLP 4.

Essentially Florida is a long haul destination where most go for at least 2 weeks, whereas Paris is great for a short Disney fix break for a few days.

The biggest difference is the size, WDW is vast, DLP is compact with everything within relative easy reach.
There are numerous cultural differences , CMs at DLP whilst I find them fine aren't generally as over-excited-happy as the WDW one's.

If you lucky with the weather and can avoid weekends, where it's mega busy, you can have a great time.

The main Disneyland Park compares very favourably with Magic Kingdom, the rides at the Studios are good, though I don't think the theming is as good as it's US counterpart.
In addition if you are a fan of Downtown Disney you may not be as keen on DLPs version, the Village.
I suppose the hard thing for me at DLP is finding good value for money dining
wise there just isn't the same value or choice available, having said that with everything so close together that really is extremely good to have.

I like WDW and DLP, there are pro's and con's at both.

Welcome to this side of the Dis.

First of all how many days are you staying in Paris and how many do you intend to spend in DLP?

The journey from central Paris is going to take you about an hour on the train so its not that convenient especially with young children. The night time show Dreams is meant to be excellent (Ive not see it yet myself) but only shows at park closing so Im not sure you will want to travel back into Paris that late with a 2 yr old.

Which hotel are you staying at and I'll try and work out your nearest metro and work out a route on the metro to get to DLP and also some of the famous landmarks.
Is there anything you want to see in particular?

The metro is very easy to navigate but there will be a lot of steps up and down similar to the London underground

Welcome to this side of the Dis.

First of all how many days are you staying in Paris and how many do you intend to spend in DLP?

The journey from central Paris is going to take you about an hour on the train so its not that convenient especially with young children. The night time show Dreams is meant to be excellent (Ive not see it yet myself) but only shows at park closing so Im not sure you will want to travel back into Paris that late with a 2 yr old.

Which hotel are you staying at and I'll try and work out your nearest metro and work out a route on the metro to get to DLP and also some of the famous landmarks.
Is there anything you want to see in particular?

The metro is very easy to navigate but there will be a lot of steps up and down similar to the London underground

Hi, we're in Paris or 5 nighs and have a 1 day/2 park Disney ticket.

We're staying at Hotel d'alsace which apparently right next to gare du nord which is good for me as well be able to crash quickly after our long journey there.

If we can walk that will be our first choice as I'll have a pushchair so would rather not be going up and down steps all day.

I want to see the Eiffel tower, louvre, notre dame, one of the gardens...we don't necessarily have to go in either, I've heard the line or the Eiffel tower oft can be 4 hours long!

Been following your progress on the booking on FB, welcome to the DLP board of DIS :)

I'm another who hasn't been to WDW so not going to get involved in trying to compare the two. However next trip we're staying at DLP but planning a couple of day trips to Paris. I've used
http://www.tripomatic.com/trip/Paris-in-One-Day-Itinerary/ to try and plan our sight seeing and
http://www.vianavigo.com/ to plan our travel arrangements.

Was speaking to my boss's wife yesterday, she's a travel rep/adviser and to give you an idea of a size she says we should be able to walk along the Seine from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower in about 45 minutes. I prefer to plan our days walking where possible as I feel you miss so much popping up and down on metros, it's how we did London, but then I have 2 grown up sons so don't have to plan for little legs !

I'm sure you'll all have a fab time, only one thing did you mention on one of your FB posts that your daughter is a Tinkerbell fan? I don't think she's at DLP anymore, hopefully someone else will come along and say I'm wrong. :confused3

Enjoy your planning :)

Thank you for those links mill have a nose!

Are most of the tourist attractions that close to each other??

And yes she loves think but she's only on the parade o shell have to wait until our next WDW trip!

Ok Ive had a look for you and according to the hotel website its close to metro lines 4 5 2 7

Each line has a number and so you follow the sign for that number line in the direction you want to go - the end station on the line is given as the direction.

It sounds complicated but its not. Look at this map and try and work out some routes before you go.

http://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/metro.pdf

This site also gives photos of the signs etc you will see

http://parisbytrain.com/tag/paris-metro/

Your nearest station is probably Gare du Nord so as example to get to the Sacre Coeur you need line 2 to Anvers.
It looks as though Gare du Nord links with La Chapelle which is on line 2 - you need to go in direction of Porte Dauphine so follow the signs - ligne 2 Porte Dauphine. Go 2 stops to Anvers and then walk up the hill opposite (lined with touristy shops) and then either walk up the steps to Sacre Coeur or take the funiculaire (cable car lift ) which uses another metro ticket.

It may be only 2 stops on the metro but I wouldnt recommend walking this one as its confusing and some of the streets round that area are not family friendly if you get my meaning.

It worth it though as you will get wonderful views across Paris and can go behind the church and wander round Montmatre where the artists are all painting

I'll do another post with a list of the nearest metro stations to some of the major sights and also work out which are walkable - I worked in Paris several years ago and walked for miles each day rather than get the metro but I didnt have children with me

Arc de Triomphe - nearest metro - Charles de Gualle Etoile.

You can walk from here down the Champs Elysee - its quite a long walk but if you walk on the left side the way you are facing you will pass a Mcdonalds (handy for toilet stops) and the Disney store. This will take you to the Place de la Concorde and then into Tuileries gardens and then to the Louvre. Or you can get a metro to the Louvre

Louvre - nearest metro - Tuileries or Palais Royale or Louvre Rivoli

You could also walk along the river from the Louvre to Notre dame

Notre Dame - nearest metro - Cite

Eiffel Tower - nearest metro - my favourite is Trocadero. You approach the Tower from above where you get wonderful views of it and then can walk down towards it through the gardens and past the fountains. Once down there you cross the road and walk across the river - you wont get lost as you can see the tower all the time. There is a park at the bottom - the other side of the Tower where the children can run about

A word of warning - the parks in Paris are not like we know them- there arent loads of grassy areas to play on - they tend to be more paths and sitting areas.

2 other options for getting round are to use the batobus - literally boat bus which is a hop on hop off boat down the river. It is much slower but is a good way of getting round however is more expensive
http://www.batobus.com/english/

or you take an open top bus tour
http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/paris/custompage.aspx?id=paris_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

A Small World said:
It may be only 2 stops on the metro but I wouldnt recommend walking this one as its confusing and some of the streets round that area are not family friendly if you get my meaning.

A Small World is totally not kidding...some of the streets arent even Adult friendly unless you are open minded!!

cap'njack. said:
A Small World is totally not kidding...some of the streets arent even Adult friendly unless you are open minded!!

But its got a sports bar *laughs out loud* :D

Seriously, stay away from "that" area ;)

Thanks everyone!

I've since changed hotels to the Hotel Magenta, near the jacques...something metro?

I've also bought l'open tour tickets so we can see the main attractions without going up and down the steps to the metro with a toddler in a pram!

What would be the best way to get to and from Disney from the jacques...metro?

Thanks everyone!

I've since changed hotels to the Hotel Magenta, near the jacques...something metro?

I've also bought l'open tour tickets so we can see the main attractions without going up and down the steps to the metro with a toddler in a pram!

What would be the best way to get to and from Disney from the jacques...metro?

Is it Jacques Bonsergent?

Ok so if you look at the link to the metro map I sent you that station is on the orange line (5) on the right of the map as you look at the screen.
The line to DLP is the thick red one again on the right - RER line A

Metro lines have numbers and RER lines have letters.

You need to go one stop on Line 5 towards Place d'Italie to the station Republique then change onto line 9 towards Mairie de Montreuil (the mustard coloured one) - take this as far as Nation - 6 stops and then change onto the RER line A to Marne la Vallee
The station is right at the entrance to the parks.
It will cost you 15 Euros return including all the metro bits for an adult- get a mobilis ticket.
The 2 yr old will be free and I'll work out what tickets would be best for the other 2 children.

This is the easiest way to get to DLP otherwise you are looking at a fortune for a taxi.

Although the open top bus is great and you can walk to some places I think you'll find it difficult to avoid the metro altogether in Paris - I did it with a child in a buggy as long as you dont have loads of luggage as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter