• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New FP w/ GAC concern

LisaBi

DIS Veteran
Oh no! I've been sitting here happy that I shouldn't have any problems with DS as far as getting a FP for Soarin' since he doesn't know what it is. (He throws a fit if we have to come back later for SM, Buzz, or TT. He doesn't understand why we can't get in line NOW. Well, because if the line is over 20 minutes, he has a meltdown). Anyway, it just hit me that our FP return for Soarin' could be many hours later. We generally aren't in a park more than 3 to 4 hours! Oh no!!!!!!

Thanks for listening. Just when I think I've got everything worked out, I come up with a new hitch.

LisaB

If you can, try to get to Epcot as close to park opeing as possible and go directly to Soarin. If you need to get an FP you can, after getting it, go over to the Imagination Pavilion and go onto Journey Inot Imagination with Figment, which he should really enjoy. Even ride it several times. Also you can go to the Living Seas; all the water and fish should help keep him calm.

LisaB,
I had a similar concern on this board and SueM reccommended giving the child the abuility to retreive the fast pass, therefore, allowing them to control the situation. DD was diagnosed with some "immediate gratification" needs years ago and is also a huge control freak, therefore, allowing her to obtain the fastpasses will help the situation. I'm not sure is this will work withyour situation or not though but hopefully it will.

If not, do I find works too, BRIBERY!!!! Have a small dollar store type gift with you and explain to your child that he will get the gift if he handles the situation as you ask him too. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but this has helped me A LOT. ex. I am doing about 2 hours of academics EACH WEEK DAY with the kids this summer. They both know that at the end of the summer, I will take them to Wal-mart and buy them whatever they want for a reward ($10 limit). Believe me, it is worth the bribe since academcially they will make huge gains in the next two months. :goodvibes

Hopefully other will have opinions regarding your post.

re: 20 minutes in a line maximun: Have you tried things in lines such as blowing bubbles/applying tattoos etc in ride lines. These kids are usually quite visual and this kind of activity might keep your child amused for long periods of time. DD is an avid reader and can read for about 2 hours without stopping. She doesn't understand the concept of reading part of a book, its all or nothing. Believe me I will have several brand new Pokemon long chapter books for her for our next WDW holiday!!!

Suzy V.

I just wanted to mention that I read a rumor that Imagination is closing (I thought someone said it had already closed as of July 1. Does anyone know for sure?

Besides what Cheshire Figment wrote, another thing to do is ask about this at the Information Board (it's sort in the courtyard behind Spaceship Earth). They can give you a lot of good hints about when to "hit" certain attractions to not have a long wait.

I was at Epcot on July 3 and it was open. There have been no rumors I have heard of about the pavilion at all, and with certain connections I have related to Figment I really would have heard.

I really hope JIYI doesn't close!!! It's my DGS (4) newest favorite ride. He loves "the purple dragon ride" and can sing Imagination. (Of course Grandma loves it too so singing it over and over and over and over during a car ride isn't quite the issue it could be). I liked the original ride better than this "newer one" but PLEASE don't let WDW get rid of Figment (a return of Dreamcatcher would be nice).

riu girl: Does your daughter like mystery type books (Nancy Drew, etc?). What worked for me most of the time (because I HAD to read a whole book too--I would carry it to dinner, the school bus stop, during class--which caused trouble FREQUENTLY, etc.) was to read a chapter or two and then tell my mom how I thought the next chapter would be. Where I thought the story was going. I sometimes think I told a better story than Carolyn Keene! I'm not sure what the motivation behind this was (perhaps my parents just liked to see my face sometimes--not just the hairline above the book) but it would break up my need to do it all now!!!!! And the fun part was going back to it to see how accurate I was.

Cheshire Figment said:
I was at Epcot on July 3 and it was open. There have been no rumors I have heard of about the pavilion at all, and with certain connections I have related to Figment I really would have heard.
Thanks. Here's a
link to the rumor I read along with an update that says the rumor was false.

riu girl said:
DD is an avid reader and can read for about 2 hours without stopping.

Here is a fun book for kids to read before going to WDW.
0635021048.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
My kids had fun reading this book!

This book looks fabulous. I was wondering what ages it would be good for? DD is 8 but reads a couple years ahead. I think she would enjoy this book. This looks liek the kind of book that would keep her busy in WDW ride queues. Does anyone know where it could be purchased on line (preferably a company that ships cheap to Canada)? If not, I have found it for about $4 plus shipping on ebay, but I prefer to buy it from a company.
Thanks
Suzy V.

I found one for her on a Canadian site. It says that the book is good for kids ages 9-12 so this should be perfect for her. I will order it for her this week. Total cost with shipping comes to about $7.50 Cdn so I think that is fair. I might call the local book shop first and see it I can get it any cheaper.

Thanks for posting about this book. I would much prefer to read this then POKEMON!!!
Thanks
Suzy

riu girl said:
This book looks fabulous. I was wondering what ages it would be good for? DD is 8 but reads a couple years ahead. I think she would enjoy this book. This looks liek the kind of book that would keep her busy in WDW ride queues. Does anyone know where it could be purchased on line (preferably a company that ships cheap to Canada)? If not, I have found it for about $4 plus shipping on ebay, but I prefer to buy it from a company.
Thanks
Suzy V.

Suzy, send me your address and I will drop it in an envelope and send you my copy. We finished it a couple of years ago.

My son, like your daughter reads a few years ahead of his age and he read it at 8. It is available at www.bn.com or www.borders.com

It's kind of hokey, but it takes them throughout the park on a mystery. It is 146 pages and the back reviews were by a fourth grader and a 9 year old.

You are so incredibly generous. I will send you a pm.
Thank you
so much for your kind offer.
Suzy V

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter