NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After numerous stays at the Dolphin, I never heard of the AAA 20% restaurant discount!! Is this relatively new, or just not advertised?? Either way, I am excited to use on our Christmas trip.

Well, I went ahead and booked the Swan at the teachers rate. The rate is almost the same apart from the fact we loose the DDP. Not a great loss as I think we would struggle with eating so much in the heat of July.
DH has diabetes and mobility problems caused by heart and circulatory problems, is there a chance that the charges for the fridge and the parking may be waived? Our TA says not although we didn't have to pay for the fridge at POP.
I didn't know about the teacher discount until recently so overall if we do have to pay for them I am not too bothered.I am just looking forward to a more luxurious stay.
Does any-one have any information on the accessible rooms. We have one requested that fits an ECV in.

We're now 14 days away from out Swan stay so I'm back perusing this thread and could not find the answer to these 2 questions

1. Do the mini bar fridge's have a freezer section that might at least fit 1 or 2 waters??
2. Is there a microwave in Picabu for guests to use?

Thanks so much for everyone's help and I will be sure to post a review when we return!!

Hi Lucy's Mom!

Glad to hear you thought Picabu was a good value for your family. I noticed the pictures that Blondie posted, with the prices on the blackboard at Picabus, and I kinda paniced! It seemed really expensive for a quick-type eatery. We also have one breakfast planned at Fresh - and I'll definately get the 20% discount!

Did you ever grab a bagel or croisant at the coffee place in the Swan lobby? This is where I'm planning most of our breakfasts, but I'm worried that conventioners will clog up the line (which they have every right to do - nothing against the conventioners! LOL!).

Glad you had a great trip - I am really looking forward to our first Swan stay and all my anxiety about staying at a non-Disney resort has surely vanished, thanks to this thread!

Actually, I think it was more expensive to eat in the lobby at the Dolphin for coffee & danish/bagel than at Picabu's, if I remember correctly. It was convenient, but a little pricey. They had a nice cappuchino machine at the lobby bar, though. :)

Wow I love those pictures!

Does anyone know if we are allowed to have a guest family at the pool? We are staying the night after our cruise, but my sis and family are flying out late that night. Could they hang out at the pool with us, and even use our room to clean up before their flight? They don't need to head to the airport until about 6:30 pm but we will be off the ship by 8:30 ish am. We thought we would all head over to the Swan, we would check in, then we would play mini golf and take a swim. They would have to head out to the airport about then. I don't want to break any rules and I know "pool hopping" is not allowed I just don't know how this is classified.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how many points it is to upgrade to a balcony room? I have heard 1000 points, but is that per night?

Thought I'd pop on and try to help with some questions. We've enjoyed 4 wonderful stays at these magnificent hotels and we're counting the days until we return to the Dolphin in August. :goodvibes

Did you ever grab a bagel or croisant at the coffee place in the Swan lobby? This is where I'm planning most of our breakfasts, but I'm worried that conventioners will clog up the line (which they have every right to do - nothing against the conventioners! LOL!).
quote]
Actually, I think it was more expensive to eat in the lobby at the Dolphin for coffee & danish/bagel than at Picabu's, if I remember correctly. It was convenient, but a little pricey. They had a nice cappuchino machine at the lobby bar, though. :)
I have to agree - we found the lobby prices in both the Sean & Dolphin for muffins, etc. higher than Pikabu. We'd often pick up some treats at the Boardwalk Bakery in the evening and have them for breakfast the next day. We'd still get our Starbucks coffee (in our refillable mugs) at Pikabu.

DH has diabetes and mobility problems caused by heart and circulatory problems, is there a chance that the charges for the fridge and the parking may be waived? Our TA says not although we didn't have to pay for the fridge at POP.
I don't have an answer for you but I wondered the same thing - if charges could be waived for bothe the fridge and parking. It certainly can't hurt to ask at check-in.

We're now 14 days away from out Swan stay so I'm back perusing this thread and could not find the answer to these 2 questions

1. Do the mini bar fridge's have a freezer section that might at least fit 1 or 2 waters??
2. Is there a microwave in Picabu for guests to use?

The minibars are very small and do not have room to freeze water. I'm not certain but I don't think there's a microwave in the public area of Pikabu but I've read of people getting things like baby food heated behind the counter.

We'd often pick up some treats at the Boardwalk Bakery in the evening and have them for breakfast the next day. We'd still get our Starbucks coffee (in our refillable mugs) at Pikabu.

AHHH...me getting treats at the Boardwalk Bakery, coffee at Picabu, and bringing them back to the room! That's my idea of a heavenly morning walk...and my wife's idea of a heavenly way to get served breakfast in bed (the double entendre is intended;) )

OK, so I'm a darned good thread searcher, but this absolutely confirms that D-S have refillable mugs, and I have never seen a picture! Do they look anything like the Disney resort mugs? Same price?

AHHH...me getting treats at the Boardwalk Bakery, coffee at Picabu, and bringing them back to the room! That's my idea of a heavenly morning walk...and my wife's idea of a heavenly way to get served breakfast in bed (the double entendre is intended;) )

OK, so I'm a darned good thread searcher, but this absolutely confirms that D-S have refillable mugs, and I have never seen a picture! Do they look anything like the Disney resort mugs? Same price?

Here they are! Cost is smiliar to Disney refillable mugs, about $12.00 with tax.

f4f9edb0.jpg

You are so romantic, Ronald Duck!:love:

Wow I love those pictures!

Does anyone know if we are allowed to have a guest family at the pool? We are staying the night after our cruise, but my sis and family are flying out late that night. Could they hang out at the pool with us, and even use our room to clean up before their flight? They don't need to head to the airport until about 6:30 pm but we will be off the ship by 8:30 ish am. We thought we would all head over to the Swan, we would check in, then we would play mini golf and take a swim. They would have to head out to the airport about then. I don't want to break any rules and I know "pool hopping" is not allowed I just don't know how this is classified.

Thanks!

Well, I hope I don't get flamed about pool hopping. But my sis and I intended to do this. It never worked out, because of time issues. She did come and go from the hotel, room, and lobby throughout the week, and was never questioned about being a hotel guest. She was staying elsewhere and would join us at the Dolphin for going on to EPCOT, or pick us up and drive to the other parks. We didn't spend much time at the pool, but I never saw anyone checking room keys or a key card access. So I would think it is technically possible to have family visit you at the pool. There are poolside restrooms which are of good size. I can't remember if they have any shower facilities inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshiregirl View Post
I don't have an answer for you but I wondered the same thing - if charges could be waived for bothe the fridge and parking. It certainly can't hurt to ask at check-in.
Thank you for the help paras4ri. As you say we can but ask at check-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshiregirl View Post
Thank you for the help paras4ri. As you say we can but ask at check-in.

On the frig, I do 'think' fee is waived for med necessity. Not sure on parking. I would call ahead of time. If answer is good, take name of person. If answer is no, ask again at checkin.

On the AAA 20%, I think that was started when the Disney Club card (and Magic Kingdom Club before that) ended a few years back. That was 20% then also.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back, but I am snowed under at home with laundry and bills, and at school I am desperately trying to get my report cards done! Those darn sixth graders can't graduate and get to junior high school without one!

The refrigerator is indeed free for medical reasons. I needed to keep my medication refrigerated. I did have to request twice that a unit be brought to my room, but I did get one without the charge. There is a small freezer in it, but it is not big enough for a water bottle.

We never ate in the lobby because it was packed with conventioneers. We truly enjoyed Pikabu's. The food was fine and the atmosphere whimsical. Lucy liked to stop at the decorative Pikabu bus stop sign at the entrance to the restaurant and pretend to get aboard! If you think the prices are bad at Pikabu's, then just wait until you eat at a WDW restaurant. Pikabu's is a bargain in comparison.

It is so hard to believe that our trip is over and done with. We keep reminiscing about what we were doing last week at this same exact time!

I would be careful about using points to upgrade to a balcony. You can only do that if a balcony room is avaiable. If you truly want a balcony, then reserve and pay for one. I am so glad we did that because we would not have enjoyed the view nearly as well from a window. I am longing to be sitting on the balcony right now, watching the fireworks from EPCOT while the soft Florida breeze dries my hair!

Well, I'll have to engage in more of these fanciful memories later. The real world is calling and Lucy needs to be ferried to guitar lessons. Too bad a Friendship boat can"t take us! Our Volkswagon bug just isn't as much fun since the trip!
Lucy's Mom

Ugh! Now I want a balcony for my October trip, but it's nearly $100 more a night. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter