• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New England or Califorina

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
We just can't make up are minds what to do for our next vacation. So here's the choices we have narrowed it down too.

1---- New England

2----Califorina

But then again we had thought of a cruise, maybe a 7 NTS DCL -- or a 10nts some where in the Caribbean.

We where thinking maybe the middle of September. Anyone any ideas or have been to any of the places mention.

Thanks.........

jj...........;)

JJ,
I wish I could give you an informed opinion but I haven't done any of the above.BUT they are all 3 places I really want to visit/do myself,so I'll look forward to reading other peoples choices:)

I have been to New England and it's beautiful in the Fall - Late September or October will be stunning.
Boston is a fantastic city, and there are loads of historic towns to visit which would make a wonderful driving vacation. You can also visit Cape Cod, go whale watching , climb Mt Washington (either on foot, by car, or on a train - I walked up when I was 18, but I won' t be doing it again!)

I could go on and on - I haven't been to California, or done the cruise, on my one day list, but I have been to New England many times and I really like it.

Bev

Well the only one I've done is California, which I did Mid-September. I started in San Francisco for a week then drove down to LA and stayed the 2nd week there.

It's a wonderful destination (though I have NO doubt that both your other suggestions are wonderful too so I don't really think you can go far wrong, whatever you choose) It was still plenty hot, SF is a FAB city, and one of the few US cities where you can actually go without a car as it's a compact city so good for walking (though in places there are some KILLER hills) and the public transport is good. There are some really wonderful places to go within a couple of hours drive of the city as well. LA was a sprawling mass and I didn't particularly like it that much...I didn't think it had any 'soul' but it does have some interesting things and there are plenty of things to drive to in the area...including of course themeparks, if you want to get some of that in your trip, DL and California Adventure, Universal, and Knotts Berry Farm.

The only other comment I might choose to make, but it really is a 'low level' factor IMO, is about the Cruise. September is still Hurricane Season, now obviously you wouldn't sail through one, but you could be diverted or maybe have some bad weather....it's a fairly big maybe though, and prices are cheaper because of it, so personally speaking, it wouldn't stop me going :)

Like I say, I think all three suggestions are winners :)

Penny :)

I haven't done any of them, but what a great choice!

New England would definitely be top of my list - but based on my likes, not informed opinion ;)

Have fun deciding!

We are still waiting to tour New England but have seen a lot of California. We took a 3 week fly-drive starting in San Francisco-wonderful city-very European in some ways with loads to see & do. We drove down to Monteray and then round the scenic coastal road to Carmel, all quite stunning. Then we went over the high pass to enter Yosemite from the rear and stayed 2 nights to go to all the viewpoints-stunning again. Then we went to Se quoia Park to see the giant redwoods.On thru Death Valley to Las Vegas then back to San Diego-another wealth of sightseeing opportunities, then we drove up the coast to Las Vegas to see the Crystal cathedral and to say hello to Mickey.
It took 3 weeks, with Virgin flights and some of their accom & some I booked independantly, and we had the most amazing time-memories to last a lifetime!
Have I tempted you?
Carol

My vote would go for California - specifically San Francisco, Yosemite and a short time in LA (just enough to visit Disneyland). The middle of September would be just a little too early for the fall foliage in most of New England, but otherwise you should have pleasant weather in both destinations at that time of year.

Regards

Rob

My choice would be New England, it looks beautiful in the brochures, I would love to visit Boston.

Thanks everyone, i went out yesterday and bought both Lonely planet guides for New England and California plus a 2002 Collins road Atlas. The road Atlas is very good it covers all of the USA + Canada + Mexico it also has websites for all the US states. It also has the US National parks on a park locator and a mileage and driving times map. I would say it was a bargin at only £10.99 got it in Waterstones.

Thanks again everyone, i think its going to be hard work deciding which one.

jj......;)

Hi JJ

We came back from a 5 day break in Boston in February and have also been to LA, San Fransisco & Vegas. I think if I had a choice it would definately be California.

Also the hotels are mega expensive in Boston in the fall plus they book up REALLY quickly. We stayed at The Westin Copley Place which was wonderful but they were charging $200/night for Feb (although we got it through Priceline for £90/night). I've just looked at their website and they are showing room rates minimum $380 + tax per night!!!! September is the fall isn't it???!!!

Good luck with your decision

Lisa

I don't know if I am too late but I thought I would add my comments.

I have been to both New England and California.

New England - I stayed in Cape Cod last Nov in a towm called Hyannis and found the Cape an ideal base. It was close enough to visit Boston , Matha's Vineyard and Plymouth (Mayflower & Pilgrims) etc.... The scenery is also stunning and there is plenty to do. I found the locals in Cape Cod totally different to those I've met in Florida. The pace of life is so laid back. I would definately go back.

California - This was part of a three week trip covering Las Vegas (Must visit at least once - each Hotel is like a mini theme park!!), Grand Canyon (Not to be missed), Utah (to visit DH friends), Yoesemite (very picturesque), San Fransisco (Do not drive here, all one way) Monterey (Excellent Whale Watching) and Hollywood (Very Scary... did not like at all). If I was going to do this trip again I would avoid LA like the plague. But I would definately visit everywhere else.

In essence I would choose New England if you want to take it easy and not do too much driving. But California if you want to visit lots of different cities. Personally I would choose New England.

Hope some of this helps.

Becky

Thanks Becky, we've been to Las vegas before and would definitely recommend it even though its a bit tacky. So at the minute we're just getting info together, like today i've got a travel pack sent from Maine.

Thanks again Becky

jj...........;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter