• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New DVC Rent/Trade Board option - 4/18/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, I think it's been kind of nice not to have to wade through the "reservation wanted" posts among all the others and puts the onus of renting on the renters, not the owners. Plus, I assume the prices stay higher---rather than multiple owners vying to make a reservation for someone at whatever price (plus less possible calls to MS as different people are trying to fulfill one reservation request).

It would be nice to have the option "tranfer of pts. wanted" but then again it helps those who already own points. JMHO

I think everyone is different about how they like to rent. I think some renters prefer to be active by seeking out owners, others are passive and want owners o approach them. Same with owners. Some like the option of both.

Regarding prices, I think it would have little or no effect since it still comes down to supply and demand. Its not going to change that ratio of owners to renters.

I totally agree with Zebsterama
I stopped reading right there ... :lmao: .... just kidding! :goodvibes

On a more serious note ...

My only problem is that if you allow this, now you have made the "contributing members" who maintain the 50 post/6 month level "2nd class members" again.

If consideration is currently being given by Disboards on perhaps opening up Transfers/Rentals Wanted threads on the R/T board, then perhaps Disboards might consider using a minimum posting criteria for these contributing members as well (thus waiving the fee) - or simply - charging a minimal fee for each thread being opened?

Cheers,
Zebsterama
:hippie: pirate:

Looks like I got mine in just in time. This sucks for me, because on the off occasion I do use the R/T, its because I want to transfer points to supplement a trip. IMO, this is the "purest" of reasons for using the R/T board, DVC members working with other DVC members to swap around points as people need them. I understand the rationale behind it as Jim explained, but with the one transfer rule DVC has themselves, do transfer requests really cause circumventing of the current rules so much that DIS feels ANOTHER rule is needed to restrict transfer requests?

I swear this is becoming more complicated that the US tax code. Seroiusly, I can't keep track anymore of what kind of behaviors the DIS is trying to encourage, which ones they want to discourage, and why? First, they make the 50 post rule, claiming the intention of the R/T is to be a place where contributing members of the DIS community can use to unload unused points is they need to. That its a grass roots, community, kumbayah kind of thing. But now suddenly, they are charging for use, allowing spec renting (if you pay!), and shutting down one of the truly useful things for many DVC DIS members, transfer requests. I just don't get it anymore.

And by the way, who cares if someone "circumvents" the rules by responding to a transfer request? Its not like it turns the R/T board into a forum of people with no allegience to the DIS, because at least one party, the person putting in the request, the one who is looking to benefit by finding someone to transfer to them, will have had to be a "contributing member". Is it just about the $25, because I thought this was supposed to be a forum to help out members.

BRAVO!! :worship:

My head is SPINNING!!! I've tried to read as much of this thread as I can to understand all this, so is there a place that clearly explains all this??

I rented my points out to pay for my cruise this year, and with the four people I rented to I had a great experience, and they all indicated that they wanted to rent from me again!!

But I haven't been looking at these threads since I did this last year!! I stumbled on this thread and again, I'm really confused as to who I'm paying, and for what!! My transactions all went well, and I don't understand all this now!!

Where can I get the info on this, cause this is worrying me!!! :scared1:

PS. AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS BEING DONE OTHER THEN SOMEONE MAKING MONEY OFF THE DISboards??
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just MY opinion!!!

I reiterate!!! :confused3

If consideration is currently being given by Disboards on perhaps opening up Transfers/Rentals Wanted threads on the R/T board, then perhaps Disboards might consider using a minimum posting criteria for these contributing members as well (thus waiving the fee) :

Well, this would just be rolling back this newest new rule banning requests, before it it was limited to people meeting the posting requirements. I would be fine with that, but doubt it will happen. Just like the government, it seems the DIS has prefered to keep making new rules to "fix" the problems created by the bad rules, rather than just rolling back those bad rules or relacing them.

- or simply - charging a minimal fee for each thread being opened?:

I like this idea. Get rid of posting rate requirements, and instead of the $25 annual thing, just charge $5-10 for evey new post you want to make (to rent or request). I think that would accomdate most non-commercial-ish renters and rentees who maybe only do it once or twice a year anyway. Leave the $25 membership as an option for those who do it more frequently. I would gladly pay $5-10 per post on the R/T. Much simpler than this convoluted and ambiguously purposed thing they have now.

All I am reading is PAY, PAY, PAY. What happened to the regular contributors being able to post FOR FREE? Why can't regular posters post on all types of R/T threads (transfers wanted, reservations for rent, etc.) without charging us a fee? SEEMS LIKE THE REGULAR POSTER IS BEING FORGOTTEN! :sad2:

All I am reading is PAY, PAY, PAY. What happened to the regular contributors being able to post FOR FREE? Why can't regular posters post on all types of R/T threads (transfers wanted, reservations for rent, etc.) without charging us a fee? SEEMS LIKE THE REGULAR POSTER IS BEING FORGOTTEN! :sad2:

I would love for it to go back to the way it was, but I think DIS has made it clear it won't. So rather than having this convoluted maze of rules about who can post, for what, for when, and how much, I think it would be simpler to just make it all pay. If it's a reasonable amount (e.g., $5 a post, or $25 for a year), I don't think its going to deter people or signficantly affect the "cost of doing buisness" here. I also don't think it is going to drive people to "that other website" anymore than this mess already has or will continue to do. It seems most people post both places anyway (or at least those who arent charging $12-13 a point who don't seem to post on that other site anyway.)

BRAVO!!! :worship:

I would love for it to go back to the way it was, but I think DIS has made it clear it won't. So rather than having this convoluted maze of rules about who can post, for what, for when, and how much, I think it would be simpler to just make it all pay. If it's a reasonable amount (e.g., $5 a post, or $25 for a year), I don't think its going to deter people or signficantly affect the "cost of doing buisness" here. I also don't think it is going to drive people to "that other website" anymore than this mess already has or will continue to do. It seems most people post both places anyway (or at least those who arent charging $12-13 a point who don't seem to post on that other site anyway.)

This is all so UNDISlike!!! :confused3 And I LOVE the DIS!! What's next? Those that make DISigns for us to use are going to have to start paying and then they'll all stop making DISigns?? I'm personally disgusted by all this!!!

All in all, I agree. I really do not want to beat the mods up over this, but all of this has been a complete 180 of previous DIS policy. I know they volunteer and do not own this board.

But as someone who is here to help and not use the boards as a profit center, the bar has been lowered and regular posters devalued.
It would have been better to have left things as they were imo.
The profiteers have won at the expense of the community.

The people that were "actively lurking" (whatever the heck that means!) Not contributing a mere "thank you for the trip report with awesome photos, I really enjoyed reading" Now they get a gleaming "not an endorsement" next to their name in exchange for $25 and not contributing on a regular basis.

For $200 more, we are all equal and can post reservations outside the penalty window.

I was not posting to save $25 or meet RTB established criteria, but now that is all we are worth? What if we all paid $25 and stopped posting?

As I have said multiple times, I dont rent on Disboards, but have always shown respect for all their policies. It is the community that is being disrespected, that I feel the need to support those being affected.

It would have been better to have left things as they were imo.
You know, it's hard for any of us to admit we made a mistake, but that might really be the best solution for everyone. (By that, I mean reverse course back to the start: allow all of the types of threads previously allowed, and let anyone post threads.)

The DIS has already tried to correct for the membership time/post count restrictions which didn't work out, so I don't think they would be reluctant to reverse policy if they thought it was the best solution. That is very much to their credit -- LOTS of people and organizations would not be able to do that.

It's hard to offer any helpful suggestions because nobody has chosen to share the problem they're trying to fix.

Hopefully, they'll come up with a solution that will serve the interests of the DIS membership.

Have to agree with Liferbabe. When the limitations were set forth to limit those that did not participate on the forums I could see the point. Now as stated it seems it went in the opposite direction and honestly could not see how policy could change so drastically.

Have to agree with Liferbabe. When the limitations were set forth to limit those that did not participate on the forums I could see the point. Now as stated it seems it went in the opposite direction and honestly could not see how policy could change so drastically.
It's a big circle.

Once you establish "participation" requirements, the obvious question becomes, "What do you mean by 'participation?'"

The DIS initially answered that by saying they wanted the posters to have been members for a while and have made consistent and substantive contributions to the community. And the obvious question became, "What does 'for a while' mean, and what does 'consistent and substantive contributions' mean?"

So they came up with a formula: 6 months, 50 posts, more or less consistently -- not 48 posts in the last two weeks. And then the question became, "But I was on vacation, sick, etc. What about me?"

So they adjusted it again to at least 8 mosts in 4 of the previous 6 months...and I don't know what from there.

As you can see, in trying to give reasonable answers to reasonable questions, the criteria became rather tortured. And...there were legitimately folks who had been members for a long time, and had posted some, who were still shut out.

So they came up with the "Pay to Play" idea -- NOT as a revenue source for the DIS, but in an attempt to provide a fair way for newer or less active posters to qualify and use the R/T Board.

Now folks are upset that the DIS is allowing sellers to buy their way in. AND -- not for nothin' -- Pay to Play eliminates the original objective of the restrictions!

Where it really gets crazy -- and I don't think this issue has been raised yet (at least not publicly) -- is the question of who has to pay, and who gets in free. For example, below are listed the joining dates and post counts of the first 10 threads on the R/T board this afternoon, as well as whether they paid or not:

5/2005 - 203 posts - PAID
5/2006 - 247 posts
4/2011 - 13 posts - PAID
2/2003 - 912 posts - PAID
2/2009 - 129 posts - PAID
5/2008 - 216 posts - PAID
2/2006 - 9,953 posts
4/2011 - 17 posts - PAID
3/2008 - 14 posts - PAID
2/2006 - 191 posts - PAID

I'd be willing to bet that someone would look at those numbers and find an inequity somewhere.

But that's what the mods have to deal with once they start down this path. There is no such thing as a perfect solution once you start down the path of restricting access to the R/T board.

No matter what the mods do, somebody is going to be upset -- and in all likelihood, they'll have a good point.

Is it really worth all this? Who knows? We don't even know what the problem is that they're trying to fix!

For all this hassle for the poor mods, it had better be something REALLY important!

This is what the caption under DVC BB says:
"These forums are specifically for members of the Disney Vacation Club, and those who are considering joining. More info on DVC."
---------------------
So, since this portion of the BB is supposed to be for DVC members, how about letting DVC MEMBERS post "transfers wanted?" Seems that would be very specific to DVC members only. And as others have replied to this thread, many don't post "transfer available" but would respond to another DVCer posting who needed points. If I must, I will pay $25--I would imagine many others would also.

"Mr. Gambini, that is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out objection."

"Thank you, your honor."

"Overruled."

Have there been any recent replies from the mods? I think people should refrain from proposing "payment' for anything until the mods have disclosed the problems, the reasons for the changes, and the desired outcome. No one can clearly state "what should be done and why" until further information is disclosed.

Have there been any recent replies from the mods? I think people should refrain from proposing "payment' for anything until the mods have disclosed the problems, the reasons for the changes, and the desired outcome. No one can clearly state "what should be done and why" until further information is disclosed.

True enough...

Just to recap this is that last that we have heard ....

Originally Posted by CarolMN
"Zebsterama - it's being discussed by TPTB. No promises either way."

Cheers,
Zebsterama
pirate::hippie:

Somehow I doubt we are going to get these answers....

The people that were "actively lurking" (whatever the heck that means!)

Yeah, I started that thread.

Lurker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely or never participates actively. Research indicates that "lurkers make up over 90% of online groups

World English Dictionary

lurk (lɜːk) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— vb
1. to move stealthily or be concealed, esp for evil purposes
2. to be present in an unobtrusive way; go unnoticed
3. to read messages posted on an electronic network without contributing messages oneself

World English Dictionary
active (ˈæktɪv) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— adj
1. in a state of action; moving, working, or doing something
2. busy or involved: an active life
3. physically energetic
4. exerting influence; effective: an active ingredient

Many come to do research. Some come for a quick Disney "fix". In either case they are doing something (surfing), therefore active. Also represent 90% of the people who visit this website.

Many come to do research. Some come for a quick Disney "fix". In either case they are doing something (surfing), therefore active. Also represent 90% of the people who visit this website.

Isn't that kinda how we all started?? :confused3 We came her to see what the DIS was all about at first, and we would "lurk" around from the site for awhile, and eventually we all became members??? :disrocks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter