New "digital key" on App...why?

I can open my door 50 times over with a magic band vs going into the super slooooow Disney app to open a door. My whole home is automated. Garage doors, alarm, lights, stats, pool, sprinklers and I still use the hard buttons vs my phone most of the time cause it’s faster. I would only use it prob if the magic band failed. Magic bands will be a thing of the past in 4-5 years for phones in the parks I bet also. Use ur phone to get in cause it’s linked. That will deff slowxthings down. Well maybe not to get in the park but I bet like Apple Pay. Bit Disney pay or something like that.

Again, they can't require a smartphone to go to Disney. We'll, they CAN but you know darn well they are not going to. That would truly force some of the population to be unable to go to the park, period. Y'all seriously think they'll do that? So they aren't going to eliminate any other method of park or room access.

MB may go away. But it won't be to require everyone to use a phone. Something else could well replace them though.

Now, if smart phones become free and International guests can use them without added charges that can change but do you really think that we'll all get free phones?

Last edited:
I can open my door 50 times over with a magic band vs going into the super slooooow Disney app to open a door.

Which is why that's gonna be the preferred way to get into your room.

My whole home is automated. Garage doors, alarm, lights, stats, pool, sprinklers and I still use the hard buttons vs my phone most of the time cause it’s faster. I would only use it prob if the magic band failed.

Which is why they've added this option.

Magic bands will be a thing of the past in 4-5 years for phones in the parks I bet also.

No they will not.

Use ur phone to get in cause it’s linked. That will deff slowxthings down. Well maybe not to get in the park but I bet like Apple Pay. Bit Disney pay or something like that.

No plans for anything like that.

Don't let the negative folks scare you. They are never going to go to cell phone only. First, cell phone use is not required. It may be pretty dang common but it's still voluntary to own one and not everyone owns a smart phone even today and second international guests have very limited data use and wifi is still not 100% available
Thank you! That's good to know! I love the idea of the magic bands!

There is neither an out in or an opt out. It is always on once installed. My place of employment installs access control for hotels, exactly like what is in use at Disney. I'm afraid it is on the door and they aren't removing it for your room. And it's not just Disney. We had it at Hyatt

Maybe Disney is trying this as an experiment, looking to save $$$ on less magicband disbursement in the future. Also, can they see if you go over to Universal, or eat off site with this feature or with the app?

There are still alot of folks who do not have a smartphone, or only have 1 smartphone per family. I cant see them going to smartphones only. But they may give you an incentive to opt out of having a magicband mailed to you.

Maybe Disney is trying this as an experiment, looking to save $$$ on less magicband disbursement in the future. Also, can they see if you go over to Universal, or eat off site with this feature or with the app?

YUP YUP .... remember when MagicBands were announced and everyone was concerned that Disney would be able to follow you ... and we said "yes, as long as you are in range of their active RFID receivers" ... and folks were upset.

Well, this will be able to track you everywhere, even back home. Hopefully there is an ability to set it so that it can only see you when you open the app like others.

this will be able to track you everywhere, even back home. Hopefully there is an ability to set it so that it can only see you when you open the app like others.
This can be set to only know your location when you use the app. On iPhones you must specifically allow an app to use your location.

This can be set to only know your location when you use the app. On iPhones you must specifically allow an app to use your location.

Good for those who will use to know, and to set the app accordingly ... for all apps.

I'm not worried about it, I won't use it ... MB is much less work and the point of even wearing a MB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter