• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Details on MK Toll Booth Area Work Are Good For Fort Wilderness Guests

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Folks,

Leveraging a thread on the DIS Rumors forum, http://www.disboards.com/threads/mk-toll-plaza-set-to-change-quite-a-bit.3509827/

new details have come out regarding the previously announced construction work around the MK Toll Plaza. I guess the idea is to only direct people intending to park in the MK lot through the toll booths - those headed to the resorts (GF and Poly to the left and WL and CR to the right) will bypass the toll booths which will probably involve ramps, flyovers, and elevated construction. Also employees/Cast Members coming to work can go around as well.

Here is a good drawing/picture of the area and work to come. For orientation, World Drive headed towards the MK is on the right side. I have circled in red the MK Toll Plaza. The Car Car Center/Hess is the blob of buildings in the middle.

Note there will be a new exit ramp off World Drive BEFORE the MK Toll Plaza to Vista Boulevard that we can take as we approach the Fort from this direction. No more taking your life in your hands trying to go through the MK Toll Plaza with a trailer and then immediately trying to get over to the far right to make the current right hand turn. I think that was where the bus/taxi lanes were which made life a little too exciting at times.

I think most folks, when arriving initially at the Fort, come in this way to avoid coming in from the Port Orleans/Golden Oaks end of Vista Boulevard and making a tight 180-degree turn into the Fort front entrance. So this will be good news when it finally all shakes out (although there will probably be a lengthy construction period).

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Ed. I for one will be glad to be able to avoid that toll plaza and moving over to the right in a hurry thing. Never really made much sense to me about going through the plaza to begin with to get to Vista Blvd.

Am I wrong, but isn't there already a paved stretch from World Drive to Vista Blvd right where they are proposing the ramp to exit at? I would have thought they would have just utilized it since it was already there. It's right there at that red arrow and goes at a 45 degree angle to Vista Blvd.

Again, thanks for posting this.

I always hated going through the booths with the TT, but it is what it is. I never really thought about coming in the other way (GPS always brought me in through the booth side). Now that I think about it though, making the turn into the fort if you come the other way would be difficult at best, disastrous at worst, especially since the turn is not really a "Turn". Coming from World drive, it's more of a "Veer" but coming the opposite way... Hair pin PLUS.

Thanks for the updated info Ed. I agree with Tiggerdad too. Looking at google maps, there is a road BEFORE the booths that could be used... Much more gradual (and less hazardous too) that could be used/improved. Not so much for the GF or Contemporary, but definitely for the Fort.

Am I wrong, but isn't there already a paved stretch from World Drive to Vista Blvd right where they are proposing the ramp to exit at? I would have thought they would have just utilized it since it was already there. It's right there at that red arrow and goes at a 45 degree angle to Vista Blvd.

I thought something along the same lines when I saw the aerial view, tiggerdad.

I'm not a Civil Engineer who designs roads and bridges but I do note that the existing pavement intersects Vista Boulevard directly in a curve. Were you to use that road, the driver coming down the ramp from World Drive would have to visually scan a field of view greater than 180 degrees (looking to the right down Vista and then all the way back to the left on Vista). We all know some intersections I'm sure that aren't exactly perpendicular to the road in front of us but I think Disney would want to do that wherever possible. (or give us a good view in both directions)

Also given that those of us who tow in that direction would accelerate more slowly onto Vista at the bottom of the ramp means a greater chance of a collision. Note that where they have the new ramp intersecting Vista right across from the old STOL runway that Vista at least is straight across (not curved) giving the ramp driver 180 degrees approximately to scan.

Anyway, best answer I could think of. :confused3

Bama Ed

I hope that's what they are planning to do. I still have pinkish paint on my passenger mirror from smacking the booth on my way thru.
Not that I'm complaining "see that paint on my mirror? That's from Disney"

I'm not a Civil Engineer who designs roads and bridges but I do note that the existing pavement intersects Vista Boulevard directly in a curve. Were you to use that road, the driver coming down the ramp from World Drive would have to visually scan a field of view greater than 180 degrees (looking to the right down Vista and then all the way back to the left on Vista). We all know some intersections I'm sure that aren't exactly perpendicular to the road in front of us but I think Disney would want to do that wherever possible. (or give us a good view in both directions)

As I went back and looked at the Google Map view, I see what you are saying. I guess I kind of thought that they could make it more of a "Merge" lane and less of a "Turn" lane. I suppose that is pretty narrow minded of me though, because it considers that the route is solely and only for those heading down Vista Blvd from that point (The "Fort").

I guess however WDW wants to do it is fine. Anything that could keep from driving through the booths with the RV/TT/5ers is good for me. As much as we may fret about driving through the booths, I wonder how many times the people in those booths get a bit "Freaked out" when they see some of the "Monsters" try and navigate through. :scared1:

Looking at google maps, there is a road BEFORE the booths that could be used... Much more gradual (and less hazardous too) that could be used/improved. Not so much for the GF or Contemporary, but definitely for the Fort.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the road you are indicating was used YEARS ago for just this purpose - to get to FW with trailers. When I was a kid, we came back in '78 and stayed at FW. My memory of that time is pretty hazy, but I'm sure that was the road my dad used to head to FW when arriving at DW. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been a tradition for us to use the Main Gate when we check in, even thought it's a tight fit. But things change and we'll get over it.

Did the booth jump out and attack you?

Funny, but I can attest to the fact that with a big trailer and mirrors fully extended those booths are tight fits. The buses get the outside where they only have a booth on the one side. You have to be mindful going through it.

Funny, but I can attest to the fact that with a big trailer and mirrors fully extended those booths are tight fits. The buses get the outside where they only have a booth on the one side. You have to be mindful going through it.
And i saw where plenty of the busses had also hit the booths. So seems no one is immune.

Here's a better picture of the old cut-off road that I was referring to. I guess Ed is probably right about it intersecting Vista Blvd in a curve but it still just seems dumb to build another off ramp when one is clearly already in place. You could trim a few trees back maybe.
booth at MK.jpg

We were at the fort Jan. 2016. I used Epcot Center Dr. and exited onto Bonnet Creek Pkwy. Just cross over Buena Vista Dr. at the light, go past OKW etc. etc.
Follow to Vista and make a left, the fort will be down on the right. It looks like a tight right turn to enter, but I drive a 40' dp with a toad and is not bad. A little wider swing and your in. I was able to avoid the main entrance and the traffic using the "back road".

My kids would not forgive me if I shorted them on the Disney World welcome sign.

I avoid most of the traffic by using the Western Way and avoiding I4.

Good point! Just the two of us last trip. Our kids aren't kids anymore, but the grandchildren will be there soon.
I'll take them through with the car, they are flying in.

Good point! Just the two of us last trip.

Oh, well in that case the back way is fine. I eyeball that right hand turn, and to be honest, mine is a 35 foot bumper pull. I'd have to swing mightily to make that turn and the thought of it changes my mind each time I consider taking that route.

Plus, the kids would never forgive me.

Ed already makes fun of my blurry pictures of the Fort Wilderness entrance sign because of my speed. If I had to try and make that turn and take a picture at the same time, well, it would probably make the local paper headlines.

Making the right turn into FW is much, MUCH, MUCH better than it used to be. I remember seeing bigger rigs backing up to make the turn before the entrance enlargement. Today it is easy-peasy compared to olden times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter