New Credit Card Authorization Holds

Exactly. Cash may not be recorded but that is not correct if it's not. Tips have to be used to make certain the servers pay is meeting minimum wage and if it's not, the employer is required to make up the difference. Now, almost all have no problems reaching the really low minimum wage threshold when you combine their tip avg and their wage avg per hour but they do have to meet it. Go read your labor poster sometime. So yeah, that cash is important and you can bet your employers are gonna make them claim it. At least some of it. And if they are following the rules, they make them claim all of it.

And I believe in some restaurants it's not uncommon to pool tips, cash included. Can employees be dishonest with cash tips? I'm sure they are. Dishonest is dishonest though.

I cannot speak to pooling tips. I can discuss reporting cash gratuities. There is an expectation that servers who are in tipped positions will receive some cash tips, so at this time they better be reporting some. There is also an expectation that servers receive a minimum percentage of their sales tickets, and of that some would be in cash.

I have had conversations with all of my businesses about encouraging their servers to report cash to them for a variety of reasons, and have been as successful as possible when servers know that if an audit is conducted and the department of revenue determines that wages are underreported the penalties and interest are significant.

In terms of tips in WDW resorts being charged back to the room, these tips are recorded as income and are likely spread out over the number of people associated with that ticket, and reported as charged tips for each individual. One also must be aware that there is going to be peer pressure in any restaurant that has a breakdown of the gratuity between servers, bus people and runners, and bar. Cash is included in what the servers must share with those folks.

In regards to paying minimum wage, you are correct. In establishments where servers may not always make minimum management will pay close attention to cash left on the table to mitigate their wage requirements, however it really is not the main reason that servers are "encouraged" to report all gratuities. It is for tax purposes, both state and federal liabilities.

The supreme Court the entlyrules that mandatory pooling of tips is illegal, so restaurants that still pool tips are breaking the law.

As for if cash is claimed or not, the employers really can't control if the servers properly claim it or not.

Actually, employers are responsible for reasonable care. If my employers get audited, they will be supplying daily reports which should include individuals daily sales. If a server is routinely not reporting 15% or so, or at least 10%, the employer needs to pay close attention. As I said, it is the employer who is hauled into the audit, and it is not pretty. You would be surprised how actively involved an employer can be when it comes to being mindful of monies left on a table or bar. Add the pressure of tipping out those who assist, and while they are not all reported, the cash does go up. If my businesses are an indication of what happens when they are aware of consequences, I imagine employers such as those WDW restaurants are even more vigilant.

Does anyone know how long the holds sit on your CC for? I have five separate holds on my cc (looks like they did one for each night) that have been sitting on my CC for over a week now. I was already charged the actual total bill on my cc so now its like everything is doubled. Would I email Disney billing about this?

Is the employer going to let them not claim cash tips if it means they have to pay them more wages per hour? I seriously doubt it
Beyond that, sure, folks can do what they want with their cash tips. That's the #1 reason many servers like cash tips so much
Doesn't change the law though and what they are supposed to do

When I took on one restaurant I was appalled that there was no tip makeup in place for them. They were routinely underpaying employees who were not reporting cash. I refused to participate in any of those shenanigans, of which there were many. Their argument was that they had no idea of the cash tips. Fine. You can start checking tables, and be mindful of your employees, or you can make up the difference. You will also be happy to know you will be sitting right by me when the DOR audits you, and uses their own calculation of what everyone should have made, knowing I cannot help you if your sales and revenues are not in alignment with the reported gratuities. it did not take long for the reported cash to climb, and it climbs still.

Does anyone know how long the holds sit on your CC for? I have five separate holds on my cc (looks like they did one for each night) that have been sitting on my CC for over a week now. I was already charged the actual total bill on my cc so now its like everything is doubled. Would I email Disney billing about this?
Mine only lasted about 4 days, but by following this thread, it all depends on your credit card. Some have the holds come off next day and I read someone still had them after a week. You should contact your credit card company to see what their policy is.

It often depends on your bank, but can be anything from a few days to a month. You can email Disney, but I don't think they can do too much.

Just curious if anyone has asked to have a specific dollar amount be put on hold at check-in instead of the standard $100?

Reason I ask: I have my spending all planned out with enough GCs to cover it. I like the convenience of charging with my MB at the parks so I would like, for example, a $500 hold be placed immediately so that I can charge with my MB and pay off with my GC when I get close to the $500. I’m thinking if I can do this, I can avoid multiple holds and a potential fraud alert from my CC company.

Checked in today at Pop and tried to do this. The CM unfortunately couldn’t wrap her head around what I was trying to ask. She kept saying I can spend up to $500 and won’t be charged until I reach $500. She even said that I already have a $500 hold on my account, which is not the case bc I got the notification that morning from my CC company for a $100 charge/hold. After trying to explain 2-3 times I gave up and just decided to use my GCs at point of purchase instead of my MB.

Weird. I currently have a $100 hold AND a $100 credit from WDW front desk, both dated March 28th (today). The initial $100 hold fell off my card Tuesday and a new hold wasn't issued until today. I used my MB Wednesday and today.

Here is the problem, especially at Disney, the servers don't really do all that much at many of the locations. In many cases they take your order and that's about it. Someone else brings your food, another person clears the table and often another person is doing the drink refills. The cooks in the back aren't paid a lot either and they make your food. So really, who deserves the tip?

Now this isn't true at all locations, so definitely go based on who is doing the work, but to say the servers are doing a lot of hard work isn't always true.
I don't know where you're eating, but at Disney I have the same person taking our orders, getting our drinks, and clearing away empties during the meal most of the time. I know who I want to get my tip - the person that's been interacting with us throughout the meal. Servers have a thankless job, especially at Disney, and that place gets busy. Not sure why you think some servers aren't working hard, I guess you're experience has been different than mine.

I don't know where you're eating, but at Disney I have the same person taking our orders, getting our drinks, and clearing away empties during the meal most of the time. I know who I want to get my tip - the person that's been interacting with us throughout the meal. Servers have a thankless job, especially at Disney, and that place gets busy. Not sure why you think some servers aren't working hard, I guess you're experience has been different than mine.

A lot of restaurants have "runners" who are charged with getting the food to tables. This is to be sure the food is delivered in a timely manner. The servers are busy, but these folks make it possible for them to take more tables and not miss getting the meals out.

It is customary for servers to "tip out" their support staff. Gosh, when I was much younger I supported my family as a "waitress) (yes, it was that long ago LOL) and tipped the bus girl 10% of my tips , and the bartender as well. These folks were capable of making or breaking my night, and they often did for those who "cheated" them.
Upthread there was a discussion pertaining to cash and how the management knows what servers pocket in cash. The folks clearing tables make it their business to see if anything has been left on tables.
Quite some time ago my son worked at a PGA resort as a server and bartender. He worked hard but he did say that without the support they never woudl have made the money they were able to make. At this resort there was an auto gratuity on every bill, even if you ordered a soda. The clientele expected and deserved stellar service, and they got it. The tips were divided by percentage (I cannto rememebr the percentage the runner, servers etc recieved) and added to employee checks.

A lot of restaurants have "runners" who are charged with getting the food to tables. This is to be sure the food is delivered in a timely manner. The servers are busy, but these folks make it possible for them to take more tables and not miss getting the meals out.

It is customary for servers to "tip out" their support staff. Gosh, when I was much younger I supported my family as a "waitress) (yes, it was that long ago LOL) and tipped the bus girl 10% of my tips , and the bartender as well. These folks were capable of making or breaking my night, and they often did for those who "cheated" them.
Upthread there was a discussion pertaining to cash and how the management knows what servers pocket in cash. The folks clearing tables make it their business to see if anything has been left on tables.
Quite some time ago my son worked at a PGA resort as a server and bartender. He worked hard but he did say that without the support they never woudl have made the money they were able to make. At this resort there was an auto gratuity on every bill, even if you ordered a soda. The clientele expected and deserved stellar service, and they got it. The tips were divided by percentage (I cannto rememebr the percentage the runner, servers etc recieved) and added to employee checks.
I wish our server would have tipped out like they were supposed to. Food was ordered and payed for before being seated by the hostess. Servers brought out and filled drinks, runners had food delivery, condiment delivery, and stocking buffet. Busers of course had to clean up but all tips were picked up by server and had to be put in the employee pool. The employee pool wasn't split instead the employer decided it would be set aside until there was enough for them to have an "appreciation day" at a local theme park. Restaurant was so notorious for the policy few people left tips. In 2 years we never went because there wasn't enough in the pool.

I wish our server would have tipped out like they were supposed to. Food was ordered and payed for before being seated by the hostess. Servers brought out and filled drinks, runners had food delivery, condiment delivery, and stocking buffet. Busers of course had to clean up but all tips were picked up by server and had to be put in the employee pool. The employee pool wasn't split instead the employer decided it would be set aside until there was enough for them to have an "appreciation day" at a local theme park. Restaurant was so notorious for the policy few people left tips. In 2 years we never went because there wasn't enough in the pool.
Oh my gosh! That's terrible!

I think they may be referring to how many locations at Disney are buffets?

I went ahead and sent an email to guest services yesterday.. I figured it wouldn’t do much good, and I’d get a generic answer. But, it made me feel better lol
They got back with me today & we’ve emailed back & forth a couple times.
For the most part I did just get generic information, but he did seem very willing to help & answer my questions.
This excerpt from our conversation was the most interesting to me... he confirmed that the authorizations do in fact happen immediately each time you exceed additional $100 charges.

We all know how these guest services emails/information can go, so who knows how accurate..
but thought I’d share anyway

Whew!! This is giving me a headache...lol. For my trip in Sept I think I'll just take some G.Cards and a little cash( for cart snacks). Maybe Disney will the bugs/hassles worked out.

Not really go to the post I quoted here and pretty much sums it up on how it works, hope this works....

Right. If you put a card down during online check-in there will be 1 $100 charge run. I'm sure you can either 1, not use your band and never have another run or 2, have the charging privalges turned off when you arrive. Either way, there would not be another done and that $100 would never be a finalized charge.

Would I be able to remove my CC after I check in, via the website, or do I HAVE to go to the front desk?

You can now remove your credit card if you did online checkin. I was looking at the new app and under my profile it has payment method. It now gives you the option of removing your credit card. It also gave me an alert regarding the new credit card holds. I did remove my card. We have decided to just pay as we go with credit card or gift card. That may mean we can’t do order ahead at quick service places (because bar is tied to the account card but not the hotel reservation ) but that’s ok. If I change my mind we can always put the card back on.

Edit: never mind it appears to just have removed it from mobile ordering but not my online check on.
Carry on people nothing to see here

When I took on one restaurant I was appalled that there was no tip makeup in place for them. They were routinely underpaying employees who were not reporting cash. I refused to participate in any of those shenanigans, of which there were many. Their argument was that they had no idea of the cash tips. Fine. You can start checking tables, and be mindful of your employees, or you can make up the difference. You will also be happy to know you will be sitting right by me when the DOR audits you, and uses their own calculation of what everyone should have made, knowing I cannot help you if your sales and revenues are not in alignment with the reported gratuities. it did not take long for the reported cash to climb, and it climbs still.
This is why many states require minimum wage BEFORE tips now and really that is the way it should be anyway.

You can now remove your credit card if you did online checkin. I was looking at the new app and under my profile it has payment method. It now gives you the option of removing your credit card. It also gave me an alert regarding the new credit card holds. I did remove my card. We have decided to just pay as we go with credit card or gift card. That may mean we can’t do order ahead at quick service places (because bar is tied to the account card but not the hotel reservation ) but that’s ok. If I change my mind we can always put the card back on.

Edit: never mind it appears to just have removed it from mobile ordering but not my online check on.
Carry on people nothing to see here

I was able to remove cc on file before I did app update. Now the screen under my profile looks different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter