• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Credit Card Authorization Holds

If I am not going to charge anything back to the room (I will be paying with cash or debit card at every purchase, not charging) will they still put a hold on my card? The card I have on file is a debit card. Thanks in advance!

If you have a card linked to your My Disney Experience account, then yes they will put a $100 hold on the card.

I had a one night stay from 4/20 to 4/21. At around 3am each morning, a $100 hold was placed on my card. I charged about $90 to the room, all on 4/20 . So I now have $200 pending and the actual charges haven't posted yet.

If you have a card linked to your My Disney Experience account, then yes they will put a $100 hold on the card.

May I clarify this will still happen if I don't do online check in and tell them at front desk that I don't wish for charging privileges?

Thanks.

May I clarify this will still happen if I don't do online check in and tell them at front desk that I don't wish for charging privileges?

Thanks.

You should be able to request no room charging at the desk whether or not you do online check in. You can always temporarily remove your card for MDE and then add it back after you have arrived.

It's hard to say really
I have a card linked but when we got here on Friday it seems nothing for this stay was properly connected
No idea why
I booked it online while signed in to my MDE account
It shows up on my account when I log in
I was able to book FP as normal and everything
I did online check in
I set up ME and got our bag tags
When I arrived they said there was no card on the account so I gave them the card and they ran out
We happen to be staying CL and they usually deliver a sheet with your plans for the day. We got one that said we see your stay isn't linked to a MDE account. No clue why
We were not able to ever use our bands for charging and I decided not to worry about it. Too short a trip.
Clearly a glitch since it was tied to my account but because of the glitch it never ran the $100 authorization either.
So bottom line I guess is you never know what MDE is going to do

Last edited:
In order to use that $100 resort credit by charging via Magic Bands, you will have to have a CC on file also. They will put a $100 hold on your CC and will use the resort credit first to pay off/down your balance on day 5.

If you don't want to do that, then when you arrive ask them to refund the $$ currently showing as a resort credit to whatever card you used to pay for the room only.

We checked into Art of Animation with a room credit of $134, they said that we did not have to put a card on the room but could still charge up to the $134, once used it, charging privileges would be revoked. We still put a credit card on as it would be easier to do that than try to exact charge for 134.00

We checked into Art of Animation with a room credit of $134, they said that we did not have to put a card on the room but could still charge up to the $134, once used it, charging privileges would be revoked. We still put a credit card on as it would be easier to do that than try to exact charge for 134.00

Interesting. Know 2 families that were told they still needed a CC on file. One at POR and one at Yacht Club.

FYI - To Chase Visa users, I just noticed a new (to me) option on the app
A link to Manage Travel Notifications, under Account Services
You are able to add trip date info so they know you are traveling outside your usual location with your usual charges. Maybe this will help with denials for Chase at least?

Got out of my OrangeTheory class to a message from Emily about my email (about the "credit" on my room-only stay and how that plays into this and what if I wanted to turn off charging). We're playing phone tag now...I'll update when I know what is going on with that. But there is some progress (after I'd been a little concerned I'd stumped them with it being over a week since I sent the email/comment form) anyway...

Edit: Just heard back from her. She said she reached out to her colleagues at the resorts and it will be no problem to get that refunded, even the day I arrive. It was still unclear if it would go on the card I put on file, as cash, or as a gift card. So slightly clearer - but not 100%.

Last edited:
Interesting. Know 2 families that were told they still needed a CC on file. One at POR and one at Yacht Club.
Did your friends have to have a card on file at the resort even is they weren't charging back to the room? I wonder if resorts are now having everyone keep one on file regardless.

Did your friends have to have a card on file at the resort even is they weren't charging back to the room?

They had a resort credit due to applying a discount after paying in full that they needed to use. They were told if they wanted to charge things using their Magic Bands they needed to have a CC on file in case they spent more than the resort credit.

I wonder if resorts are now having everyone keep one on file regardless.

No, they are not. The friends I mentioned had a very specific situation.

They had a resort credit due to applying a discount after paying in full that they needed to use. They were told if they wanted to charge things using their Magic Bands they needed to have a CC on file in case they spent more than the resort credit.

Did they have the $100 hold put on their account as well with the credit? And was that all that was put on until the resort credit was used up?

No, they are not. The friends I mentioned had a very specific situation.
Thanks for the quick reply! Makes sense for charges above a credit.

Just want to post my experience since this thread helped me prepare. We checked in to Pop Friday 4/26 for one night only. Did online check in, never received a $100 authorization on Friday. Saturday morning $100 authorization from Pop hit. No problem since we were moving to BWV that morning. Checked in at BWV and just like Angi, said no cc info on file; which was strange since Pop had just preauthorized my Discover card. Anyway, I gave them the Discover and immediately another $100 authorization. So I haven’t charged anything yet and $200 is tied up in authorizations on my card. No biggie. To avoid confusion, we just used gift cards all day Saturday to pay as we went. Sunday, Pop posted $100 credit to my card so all was clear from that stay. We had brunch at California Grill Sunday and charged back to the room the total (around $190), plus charged some purchases to the room. As soon as we charged California Grill, my Discover card was preauthorized for $212.69; the total of my purchases that day. I paid the balance with my gift card that night and have continued to do so nightly. The total Disney has tied up in pending charges on my card is $312.69 and I just make sure my balance doesn’t go that high. We are charging to the room all purchases and even though some have exceeded $100, nothing more has been preauthorized. I believe if I let my balance go above the $312.69, only then will I get hit with another preauthorization. Hope this helps!

Just want to post my experience since this thread helped me prepare. We checked in to Pop Friday 4/26 for one night only. Did online check in, never received a $100 authorization on Friday. Saturday morning $100 authorization from Pop hit. No problem since we were moving to BWV that morning. Checked in at BWV and just like Angi, said no cc info on file; which was strange since Pop had just preauthorized my Discover card. Anyway, I gave them the Discover and immediately another $100 authorization. So I haven’t charged anything yet and $200 is tied up in authorizations on my card. No biggie. To avoid confusion, we just used gift cards all day Saturday to pay as we went. Sunday, Pop posted $100 credit to my card so all was clear from that stay. We had brunch at California Grill Sunday and charged back to the room the total (around $190), plus charged some purchases to the room. As soon as we charged California Grill, my Discover card was preauthorized for $212.69; the total of my purchases that day. I paid the balance with my gift card that night and have continued to do so nightly. The total Disney has tied up in pending charges on my card is $312.69 and I just make sure my balance doesn’t go that high. We are charging to the room all purchases and even though some have exceeded $100, nothing more has been preauthorized. I believe if I let my balance go above the $312.69, only then will I get hit with another preauthorization. Hope this helps!

That is the way I thought it worked, thanks for the post!!

Sure wish you could tell them to go ahead and preauth a certain amount. Even though we are going to pay off each night with gift cards if I could just get them to do a $500 pre auth that would save all the multiple ones and hopefully prevent the CC to flag and freeze for potential fraud.

I don't have gift cards to pay with. I just want to know if I place $1200 worth of charges to my room (Chase card) if I will have $2400 holding on my card. I guess it doesn't matter terribly when I have a massive limit on my card. I just want to know ahead of time and I can't find an answer.

I don't have gift cards to pay with. I just want to know if I place $1200 worth of charges to my room (Chase card) if I will have $2400 holding on my card. I guess it doesn't matter terribly when I have a massive limit on my card. I just want to know ahead of time and I can't find an answer.
Yes, you are understanding it correctly. You will have authorizations for $1,200 and then the actual $1,200 charge will hit your card and your available credit will be reduced by $2,400.

Disney throws credits for the authorizations on the card once the balance is paid, but depending on your bank, it could take a few days to reflect in your available credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter