New C-pap user going on the Wonder

shoes99

DIS Veteran
I’m a new c-pap user and taking my unit on the Wonder next month. My unit is from Res-med with a full mask. I’ve notified special services thru my TA for distilled water and an extension cord. My question to this forum is about settings. I thought I could set it to airplane mode but leave Bluetooth on to record my daily usage. Any suggestions. We are in an inside. accessible cabin

I’m a new c-pap user and taking my unit on the Wonder next month. My unit is from Res-med with a full mask. I’ve notified special services thru my TA for distilled water and an extension cord. My question to this forum is about settings. I thought I could set it to airplane mode but leave Bluetooth on to record my daily usage. Any suggestions. We are in an inside. accessible cabin

Hi, shoes99.

I'm a CPAP user, too. And I'm a retired Registered Respiratory Therapist that used to instruct patients on how to use their new AirSense 10 CPAP machines.

I can't answer your questions about being on a ship and using Bluetooth.

Just make sure that your memory card is always securely in place. Many patients travel outside areas in the world without access to wifi, but the memory card records all of the info for your physician or sleep RRT or technician to access. The machine itself has a builtin wifi. A lot of patients a long time ago used to think they needed to buy a separate wifi device

Your machine has to remain plugged in and ResMed accesses the info once a day after being plugged every 24-hours from the memory card if there is wireless access like at your home. The ResMed can't access the memory card if the machine is unplugged. A few patients used to unplug and put their machines away when not sleeping.

I used to have patients in the military personnel travel overseas in a war area for over a year, but when they came back all of the info showed up because of the memory card which can hold several years of info.

I understand having new equipment and wanting to know info as many new patients have felt the same way.

Before you leave home and you can see the previous two days info, then the memory card is working.

The literature says only one day, but no one really knows what time of the day the ResMed computer contacts your machine if that makes sense.

Don't forget to pack everything like your mask, hose, charging block, wiring, and machine.

One time, I was packing everything early one morning and I forgot my mask because I usually put my mask and hose in separate ziplock bags.

I Googled an overnight delivery company and I received the mask before the next night.

I use small nasal prongs so I can always pack an extra mask.

I presume you were diagnosed as a mouth breather and must use a full mask.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Ray

Last edited:
You're welcome.

I understand.

Some patients have trouble wearing a full face mask.

I used to tell them to hold the mask to their face while watching TV or reading to build up a tolerance over time.

And if you take your mask off when sleeping, don't worry. Just do your best and try to wear it longer each succeeding night.

Some patients may take weeks to get used to their pressure if it is high like mine at 18.

Then some patients take longer because they might not like anything on their faces when sleeping. It will take time, but you need to wear your mask every night even if is for an hour. Over time one hour will get to two hours, etc. This is normal for some patients.

If you mask leaks at night, your mask might have moved by pushing against a pillow or even your hand while asleep.

If you pull the mask straight out away from your face the silicone wrinkles causing the leaks will smooth out. This too is a common issue. I almost do this procedure automatically with my leaks with my nasal prongs. With me, my elastic headbands sometimes slip over my bald head since I turn in bed a lot.

You can do this.

I don't know what would do now without sleeping with my machine.

I have an app on my cell phone( dream mapper) so I just need to activate blue tooth on that in order to get the data downloaded every morning. no wi fi needed

I have an app on my cell phone( dream mapper) so I just need to activate blue tooth on that in order to get the data downloaded every morning. no wi fi needed
I have the app on my iPad. do I turn airplane mode off or on on my unit?

I have the app on my iPad. do I turn airplane mode off or on my unit?

My CPAP machine is older before Bluetooth and app installed.

I just go to a ResMed website to see my info on my laptop or phone.

So I apologize for not knowing the answer to your question about Bluetooth and Airplane mode.

You may already know this. I Googled the ResMed video for setting up or pairing your CPAP machine and phone with Bluetooth.

I also was not sure how a cell phone's airplane mode worked, so Googled that info, too.

Airplane mode is a setting on cell phones, smartphones and other mobile devices that prevents the device from sending or receiving calls and text messages. Airplane mode is also known as offline mode, standalone mode, and flight mode.

Airplane mode varies from one device to another. On an iPhone, airplane mode disables connectivity for cellular voice and data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, and location-based services.

Some airlines are beginning to implement in-flight Wi-Fi but transmission functions have not, until recently, been allowed during air travel. The most commonly stated explanation for barring wireless connectivity during flights is the need to prevent interference with the plane's onboard communications. There is some controversy as to whether that explanation is valid. In any case, however, cellular networks are not equipped to deal with devices connecting from flight heights and moving at flight speeds.

Airplane mode allows travelers to continue to use their devices unless airline rules require that the devices be turned off altogether. In airplane mode, only functions that require a transmission signal are disabled; the user can still access the device’s camera, games, MP3 player and so on. Some devices also allow users to write and save text and email messages to be sent when the transmission is permitted again.

“Airplane mode” is also used metaphorically, to refer to a lack of service or the user’s intentional avoidance of communications.

Last edited:

Hi, Mrsjvb. Thanks for the info. I'll be needing a new CPAP machine soon. I'm not very app savvy with my older phone.

Update: returned to port Friday. My distilled water was waiting in my little inside cabin accessible 7131. Took the bed Side closest to the wall and the machine fit on the tiny nightstand with electrical outlets. Had no problems.
With United Airlines I could not check in online because I had a medical device. No problem just had a porter take us to the special services desk and they didn’t even inspect my cpap. Had a good trip sailing on the Wonder out of New Orleans.

What about flying with a CPAP? Do you have to wear the mask? Does it count as a carry-on? Do they allow you to bring distilled water? How do you power it?

What about flying with a CPAP? Do you have to wear the mask? Does it count as a carry-on? Do they allow you to bring distilled water? How do you power it?

Most people only wear their CPAP while sleeping. Unless you have purchased a "lay flat" seat in first or business class for a long-haul flight, the vast majority of CPAP users will not use the equipment in flight because they will be (relatively) upright in the seat.

All medical equipment will fly for free, and does not count against your baggage or carryon limits on US Carriers.

Update: returned to port Friday. My distilled water was waiting in my little inside cabin accessible 7131. Took the bed Side closest to the wall and the machine fit on the tiny nightstand with electrical outlets. Had no problems.
With United Airlines I could not check in online because I had a medical device. No problem just had a porter take us to the special services desk and they didn’t even inspect my cpap. Had a good trip sailing on the Wonder out of New Orleans.

Did you request the distilled water before the trip? Did you just call the Disney line for it? This is my first time ever traveling with my machine and totally didn't think about getting distilled water.

OP: Is the CPAP the only medical device you had? I have never informed any airline when traveling with my sister's CPAP and it has never been an issue. We have had to go to the desk of the airlines we flew due to her mobility devices only.

I registered my cpap with United. This prevented us from checking in online. We had the porter take us to the special services checkin desk. They did not ask me to open the case. They just gave me a boarding pass for it. It stayed in the case.
it was the only medical device I had but I did put my folding cane in the same carryon. we did request the distilled water with DCL Special services.

Most people only wear their CPAP while sleeping. Unless you have purchased a "lay flat" seat in first or business class for a long-haul flight, the vast majority of CPAP users will not use the equipment in flight because they will be (relatively) upright in the seat.

All medical equipment will fly for free, and does not count against your baggage or carryon limits on US Carriers.

thanks so much. do you have any idea how they handle distilled water at the Disney resorts?

thanks so much. do you have any idea how they handle distilled water at the Disney resorts?

We bought our own for the Disney resorts. I think we were able to get it at the gift shop but you had to ask for it. (I don't remember for sure!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter