New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

This backing up on buses sounds awful.

Some time ago, there was a thread that you now needed to back up on the monorail. Did that occur?

The backing up onto the monorail did occur as I had to do it (Thanksgiving week). They want people to back onto the monorail instead of backing off of it. Going from TTT to Epcot, you used to drive onto the monorail and backed off of it. Now its the reverse. I was told by one of the cast members at Epcot that too many people were driving off the sides of the ramps and almost if not tipping over. Since the implementation of backing on and driving off, the number of accidents has been reduced by about 90% according to the cast member.

If you are loading and unloading from the same side of the monorail, you need to back in.

I agree with another poster about some of the drivers of the ECVs. I've had to rent an ECV lately due to physical issues and the bus drivers are amazed at they way I get in and out of the busses. Now my daughter's mother-in-law (whom we get along with very well) is the opposite, she needs ALOT of help with close navigation (and she admits it).

Hope this helps,
John

Heard this today directly from a Disney bus driver who participated in the training that bus drivers received for the new buses. According to him the buses will start rolling out into use in January 2024.

He says the new buses have pressurized "arms" that will hold ECVs in place instead of the hook and belt system on current buses. Due to this new system there is less space for each ECV, resulting in the following restrictions:
  • ECV's must back onto the bus
  • No rear baskets are permitted
  • No sun shades attached to the back
  • No heavy duty ECVs such as those with higher weight capacities (e.g., Pride Maxima)
The driver said they have been in touch with the ECV vendors so they can prepare. I'll check with my vendor tomorrow (I'm trying Gold Mobility for the first time this trip) to see what they say.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, my days visiting WDW may be over since I must use a heavy duty ECV due to my weight, and it sounds like Disney has no way to accommodate us any longer. I will be contacting DVC member services once I know more from Gold Mobility. If I stop visiting WDW I'll be selling my DVC points as well.

Curious what anyone else has heard about the new buses coming soon?
The only way I see them requiring you back into the buss would be to move from a ramp to an elevator.

The only way I see them requiring you back into the buss would be to move from a ramp to an elevator.
Yeah, because that is much safer since you’re on the lift, especially when it’s recommended to turn off the power/apply the brakes to your chair while the lift’s moving. But then again, that would mean Disney would have to move away from the Low-Floor buses they’ve been using exclusively for 10 years to a High-Floor bus like the one pictured below. IMG_7425.jpeg

As previously stated ramps can be deployed and returned to the stored position manually.
But if there is something blocking one access, another access can be used. Or if one ramp cannot be moved manually for whatever reason, there is another way for people in wheelchairs and ECVs to exit. Depending on just one way on/off a bus is dangerous. Glad that there are two ways now that will allow people using mobility devices to get off the bus, if needed. Hopefully there will never be a bus fire or accident that would require it, but it is good to have.

But if there is something blocking one access, another access can be used. Or if one ramp cannot be moved manually for whatever reason, there is another way for people in wheelchairs and ECVs to exit. Depending on just one way on/off a bus is dangerous. Glad that there are two ways now that will allow people using mobility devices to get off the bus, if needed. Hopefully there will never be a bus fire or accident that would require it, but it is good to have.
I didn't say they were going to do this, I just said I think they should.

I can’t envision them ever reverting back to lift buses.

I started on the buses that had the lift and when they started phasing in the low floor buses, drivers didn’t want to be assigned a bus with a lift.

The low floor buses are easier to drive and make loading and unloading of passengers, as well as ECVs, much quicker and easier.

My guess is that guests using scooters will not have to press a button or back onto the bus. I don’t understand why they can’t board as they do now. And I think the driver and not the guest will press the button.

Will these buses still accommodate the aircraft carrier sized strollers?

My shins and toes are still recovering from last week. Think I tweeked a hammy hurdling one when trying to get off at our stop

It’s such a simple mechanism that I can’t envision it not being able to be deployed manually. It’s basically an aluminum plate on a hinge.
Be that as it may, DH and I have had several occasions where the ramp absolutely would not deploy, not even manually. Once when we were on the bus, the ramp wouldn't fully close, so the bus couldn't go anywhere and it wouldn't deploy either, we were stuck for a bit until they got an external ramp (I think it likely came from the monorail, this was at the Magic Kingdom) and someone stood on the ramp to hold it down while we got off. We ended up with a bunch of recovery passes. Now admittedly, none of the bus drivers (and there were several trying to get it working) had seen anything like that one and that was the worst case, but we have seen the ramps fail to be able to be manually deployed on several occasions.

Some time ago, there was a thread that you now needed to back up on the monorail. Did that occur?
Someone else probably beat me to this answer but Yup - it happened. The first time I had to do it, I was so nervous. But now I'm ok with it.

Heard this today directly from a Disney bus driver who participated in the training that bus drivers received for the new buses. According to him the buses will start rolling out into use in January 2024.

He says the new buses have pressurized "arms" that will hold ECVs in place instead of the hook and belt system on current buses. Due to this new system there is less space for each ECV, resulting in the following restrictions:
  • ECV's must back onto the bus
  • No rear baskets are permitted
  • No sun shades attached to the back
  • No heavy duty ECVs such as those with higher weight capacities (e.g., Pride Maxima)
The driver said they have been in touch with the ECV vendors so they can prepare. I'll check with my vendor tomorrow (I'm trying Gold Mobility for the first time this trip) to see what they say.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, my days visiting WDW may be over since I must use a heavy duty ECV due to my weight, and it sounds like Disney has no way to accommodate us any longer. I will be contacting DVC member services once I know more from Gold Mobility. If I stop visiting WDW I'll be selling my DVC points as well.

Curious what anyone else has heard about the new buses coming soon?
I had not heard this and now I’m worried.

the worst experience I ever had at WDW was being forced to back onto the bus via a ramp. I nearly fell.

Someone else probably beat me to this answer but Yup - it happened. The first time I had to do it, I was so nervous. But now I'm ok with it.
I don't understand the reason why to back up onto the monorail.

When you go up the ramp, you can see it easy. When you back off the monorail. the CM can line up the ramp with your scooter, so you just pull back.

To back up onto the monorial, you have to make a u turn and while looking over shoulder, try to line up where ever the CM has the ramp. My DH has issues looking over shoulder to see behind him.

I can't even imagine driving backwards but the air clamp to replace the ratchet belt system doesn't sound stable.

Posting an update now that I've talked with Gold Mobility. The person I spoke with said Disney never tells them anything, but they're aware new buses are coming and they're preparing for it. When I specifically asked about the Pride Maxima scooter they said they weren't aware of that change. So I have no idea if the Maxima will be permitted or restricted from using the new buses. I'm hoping the bus driver was mistaken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter