New buses and ECVs

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
In reading about the new buses, and the fact that there will be fewer seats, meaning more people will have to stand, I was reminded of something-it's far less likely that ECV riders will be given the option to transfer to a seat on any bus. I can remember, just a few years ago, that there was a sign on the buses reminding ECV riders that "Please transfer to a seat-It is NOT safe to ride on your ECV while on the bus." Yet, in all my trips on buses at WDW, even though they were all the "old" style buses, I noted that the signs about Safety with ECV riders were gone, and not one bus driver gave me the option to transfer to a seat. They just immediately strapped the seat belt on. So apparently it's now safe for ECV riders to remain on their ECVs on buses? Maybe the new buses have enhanced safety features, but all buses are now deemed safer?

DH's ECV says it is not safe to remain in the ECV while on a moving vehicle, it flat out has a sticker saying it is not NHTSA compliant for staying in. He doesn't wait for the driver to ask if he wants to transfer, he just gets up and does it and that isn't going to change.

In reading about the new buses, and the fact that there will be fewer seats, meaning more people will have to stand, I was reminded of something-it's far less likely that ECV riders will be given the option to transfer to a seat on any bus. I can remember, just a few years ago, that there was a sign on the buses reminding ECV riders that "Please transfer to a seat-It is NOT safe to ride on your ECV while on the bus." Yet, in all my trips on buses at WDW, even though they were all the "old" style buses, I noted that the signs about Safety with ECV riders were gone, and not one bus driver gave me the option to transfer to a seat. They just immediately strapped the seat belt on. So apparently it's now safe for ECV riders to remain on their ECVs on buses? Maybe the new buses have enhanced safety features, but all buses are now deemed safer?

New busses, new safety restraint system.
Good point @Simba's Mom.

Based on the way the new restraint system works, I may be willing to give it a try on my next trip. That's not until 2025, so there's plenty of time to hear feedback on how well the new system works for passengers staying in their ECV's. However, I have no qualms about insisting on transferring to a seat if I don't feel safe.

In all of my times as a weekly renter (before I graduated to bringing my powerchair on vacation), there were only a HANDFUL of times that I was asked to get out of the scooter and into a regular seat (except for “sardine buses” where it was plain logic to just stay in the scooter instead of taking up a 4th seat).

Good point @Simba's Mom.

Based on the way the new restraint system works, I may be willing to give it a try on my next trip. That's not until 2025, so there's plenty of time to hear feedback on how well the new system works for passengers staying in their ECV's. However, I have no qualms about insisting on transferring to a seat if I don't feel safe.
Agree! If you feel more comfortable transferring to a seat, you should be able to. For some, that is not an option. My father had Lou Gehrig's disease and he was not able to transfer easily at all. He was 6'4" and if he had to move, someone would have had to literally pick him up.

I hope people understand that my concerns are not about transferring to a seat on these new buses, but the fact that Disney now seems to think it's perfectly safe for an ECV user to stay on their ECV on all the buses, based on my experiences on the last trip I took. That's a change from their previous policy on safety.

I hope people understand that my concerns are not about transferring to a seat on these new buses, but the fact that Disney now seems to think it's perfectly safe for an ECV user to stay on their ECV on all the buses, based on my experiences on the last trip I took. That's a change from their previous policy on safety.
Then transfer to a seat if you feel safer doing so…Disney isn’t prohibiting it are they?

Well, not many people were getting out of their scooters, so I’m guessing that the drivers stopped asking after a while.

Well, not many people were getting out of their scooters, so I’m guessing that the drivers stopped asking after a while.
DH doesn't ask or wait for the bus driver to ask him, he just does it and if the bus driver takes issue, he says he is not willing to risk injury by staying in the scooter.

My daughter's power wheelchair and manual wheelchair are both transit ready and are crash tested.
The companies still recommend transferring to a vehicle seat if possible. It's not possible for us to safely transfer her to a vehicle seat, so she stays in her wheelchair.

My daughter's power wheelchair and manual wheelchair are both transit ready and are crash tested.
The companies still recommend transferring to a vehicle seat if possible. It's not possible for us to safely transfer her to a vehicle seat, so she stays in her wheelchair.
That’s why you guys got the transit tie downs on her chairs, right? That should be standard equipment on every mobility device and not only just because it’ll protect the paint job. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a scooter with a transit option (the bumpers that Gold puts on their scooters kinda acts like a pseudo tie down system, but still, it’s an aftermarket implementation).

That’s why you guys got the transit tie downs on her chairs, right? That should be standard equipment on every mobility device and not only just because it’ll protect the paint job. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a scooter with a transit option (the bumpers that Gold puts on their scooters kinda acts like a pseudo tie down system, but still, it’s an aftermarket implementation).
There are tie down locations on the Victory 10.2 that is built-in, sadly the bus drivers tend to ignore them though, but they do exist. In the back there are near the small plastic wheels, I forget exactly where it is on the front, but it is there.

As a power chair and scooter guest, I’ve had Disney bus drivers tell me:

1) I MUST transfer to a seat
2) I have to STAY in my wheelchair
3) SHOULD tranfer to a seat, but it’s up to me

To go with the flow, I usually just ask what they would like me to do. And then do it 😀

But I have often wondered what the official rule actually states.

It is my hope with the new bus restraint system which uses arms to tighten on both sides of the wheel area of the ECVs (as far as I can tell), that they will be less “top heavy” when restrained and not have the same problem of the ECVs falling over during a turn. I have never had a problem with the old bus restraints because I ALWAYS hold onto the folded seats, as well. BUT, there was another ECV loaded on a bus just in front of me. She was not holding on whatsoever when the bus was moving. She was buckled in and her ECV was restrained. We went around a corner and it was like slow motion as she and her ECV started to lean over and nearly landed sideways on the bus floor. Fortunately two passengers caught her and sat her and her ECV back upright. I think that’s why the bus drivers encourage one to take a seat for safety when that’s an option. I have even had a bus driver suggest taking a seat on a “sardine bus” but I try to say no because I know there’s someone who really needs the seat like I did for years before having to use an ECV.

I would think transferring to a seat on a "sardine bus" is less necessary generally speaking, since there's no room for the ECV to tip over with folks pressed up against it.

DH doesn't ask or wait for the bus driver to ask him, he just does it and if the bus driver takes issue, he says he is not willing to risk injury by staying in the scooter.
A driver will never have an issue with transferring. There is risk of a scooter tipping while driving so it is better for the driver if the guest moves to a regular seat.

A scooter should NEVER tip if properly secured. The restraints are built so that when used properly, even if the bus rolls the scooter should stay in place. Not doubting those of you who saw one start to tip. But that was not secured properly. Imagine if one tipped over on someone and they were hurt.

I don't understand why it is thought safer to sit on a bus seat without any seatbelts than it is to sit on your ECV with a seatbelt. Just doesn's make sense to me. Plus my ECV seat is much more comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter