New Back Entrance to DCA?

Would this exit be the fastest, less people, or should we use the exit by Grizzly River, and cut through the hotel?

I personally think this exit would be faster as the majority of guests have no clue it’s there. The Grizzly River path that passes by the GCH is used by tons of guests heading to the front of the park in the mass exodus to leave after WOC. You’ll have to go against the flow for a bit but well worth it IMO. 😊

Can a Grand Californian guest use this entrance in the morning, or just guests at Paradise Pier?

So this is only open to DLR resort guests? We are staying at the Westin around the block and were hoping to utilize it. Thank you.

Yes, it's only for resort hotel guests. You need a key to get through the gate.
Technically, you need a key to even get into Grand Cal from the street side as a pedestrian (although plenty of people hold the gate open regardless), so even the regular DCA hotel entrance is technically limited to resort guests (or those who go through security and enter the hotel via DTD).

Last edited:
You need a key to get in (or someone to hold the door open for you) but don't need a key to get out. We asked if we could use the exit to get to Great Maple and they said we could even though we were not staying in a Disney owned hotel
Well, I would hope you could get out without a key, otherwise, it would be the Graybar Hotel.

Anyway, I never said you can't go OUT through the gate, simply said that you can't enter Grand Californian as a pedestrian without having a room key, meaning neither entry to DCA is accessible from Disneyland Drive (the front entrance to the hotel). If you're standing out on Disneyland Drive (say, as a guest at the Westin), the only way into DCA is through Downtown Disney to the Esplanade, or Downtown Disney then through the Grand Cal lobby. You can definitely walk out to go to Great Maple, but if you don't have a room key, you'll need to have someone open the gate for you to get back in to Grand Cal.

The post I was responding to read:
Yes, it's only for resort hotel guests. You need a key to get through the gate.
And I was simply adding that for anyone trying to walk in off the street, you need a key to get IN through both pedestrian gates (the Pixar Place DCA gate, as well as the sidewalk gate into Grand Cal).

Well, I would hope you could get out without a key, otherwise, it would be the Graybar Hotel.

Anyway, I never said you can't go OUT through the gate, simply said that you can't enter Grand Californian as a pedestrian without having a room key, meaning neither entry to DCA is accessible from Disneyland Drive (the front entrance to the hotel). If you're standing out on Disneyland Drive (say, as a guest at the Westin), the only way into DCA is through Downtown Disney to the Esplanade, or Downtown Disney then through the Grand Cal lobby. You can definitely walk out to go to Great Maple, but if you don't have a room key, you'll need to have someone open the gate for you to get back in to Grand Cal.

The post I was responding to read:

And I was simply adding that for anyone trying to walk in off the street, you need a key to get IN through both pedestrian gates (the Pixar Place DCA gate, as well as the sidewalk gate into Grand Cal).
I wasn't replying to you.

We used that entrance/exit many times staying at VGC about a year ago. It was life changing! Never any lines & it made the walk back to our room so much shorter.
If you are staying at VGC (and it's not first thing in the morning), you can set your stop watch and you will likely go from your room to standing in front of Goofy Sky School in 3 mins. It's pretty amazing.

If we are staying at the Villas at the Disneyland Hotel will this gate open with our room key or is it exclusively for Pixar & Grand Californian Hotel guests.

If we are staying at the Villas at the Disneyland Hotel will this gate open with our room key or is it exclusively for Pixar & Grand Californian Hotel guests.
works for all Disneyland Hotel and Villas at Disneyland Hotel guests! :)

Edited to add, the sign says it is for Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar) Hotel guests, but keys for all three hotels work.

works for all Disneyland Hotel and Villas at Disneyland Hotel guests! :)

Edited to add, the sign says it is for Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar) Hotel guests, but keys for all three hotels work.
Thanks for that, I hoped that was the case given how expensive the hotels are you would expect them to have some little extra advantages. I can see us using this exit if we are down at that end of the park. Not sure I'd use it for rope drop but guess we'll wait and see. This will be our first time staying at the Disneyland Hotel (staying for 7 nights) so I can't wait to stroll around and check everything out.

If you exit the Villa wing on the DCA side near the BBQ area you're already inside the keycard gate anyway (though, as others have mentioned, keys from all three hotels will work for the gate).

EDIT: Sorry, I realized this post says VDH, not VGC. My bad. Obviously VDH villas are not inside the gate (only the VGC wing). But the VDH keycard will work.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter