new awkward solo trip

Amen. I am spending a lot of time with my therapist understanding why this is so very hard for me, but it is some of the most important work I've done.
I have a couple of clients working on this very issue right now and plan to put it in the next course I create as an assigned activity :daisy:

I too am feeling some of this awkwardness about my upcoming trip. I don't have any problems at home eating out alone if I happen to be out & about. I've been to movies by myself before and it was fine. But I really want to do a character meal (or 2) and I'm not sure how I'll feel about that. Middle-age lady all by herself getting pictures with animated ducks. :o I was excited about it until I mentioned it to a couple of people - one of them said, "How fun!" - that was the correct response. Later when I told someone else, he said, "That's a little weird." He saw how dismayed I was and immediately apologized but the damage was done and I'm second-guessing the character meals. :sad1:

Sit by the pool and read that trashy/romance/crime/mystery novel you been wanting to read, or whatever.

Hit up Disney Springs for some shopping, that focus's on you... instead of toys...

Get a massage yes please...

Sit at the bar when eating most of the time people will strike up a conversation with you.

Talk to other people while standing in line.

Grab a drink and watch the fireworks show over in Epcot.

Check out rides that your kids aren't old enough for yet. Check other show or exhibits that you are interested in seeing.

Really get crazy and take a nap... wild times...

Just do you...

Middle-age lady all by herself getting pictures with animated ducks. :o

I was a 38 year old man all by myself at Akershus talking to princesses. I felt awkward at first but everyone was nice and didnt treat me any differently from the other "normal" guests

I’m also a middle aged woman. I’ve done 2 solo trips and have one planned for next March. I give myself a project to do, this trip I’m going to take more pictures but with a theme. I’m going to try and find 3 or 4 Disney-centric items for each letter of the alphabet. One year I made an autograph book with a page for each state and had cast members from those states sign it. I met a lot of great people and had wonderful conversations. I also had open pages for other countries.
As far as meals I have Kindle on my phone. I just read while waiting.
I may try a spa day this trip.

when I am out running errands I do lunch and its not my cup of tea....so no matter what I do if i were to sit on the beach or anything it would be awkward cause I haven't been "alone" in several years. Ok maybe the beach I could do for a few hours but from being with people for years now its almost become awkward to do things alone.
Then don’t do it. Why are you even asking? :confused3

I get the it's hard with no kids. You almost feel lost because you don't have to worry about anyone else. I did an Adult Summer Camp thing. My sister was supposed to go w/ me but couldn't. I found that planned group activities helped me navigate that. It was weird but good. Kinda nice not to have to consider what someone else wants. I'm considering doing a solo trip but haven't found a good deal or time. Hopefully you take the plunge and get a break. Moms need breaks!

I took my first solo trip back in early September. It was something I've wanted to do for a long time but I always chickened out. But this time I had an AP with a couple of months left on it, a great AP resort rate and enough Jetblue points for a free flight so I took the plunge. I will confess that my trip was more semi-solo than completely solo as I had some friends there the same time. We flew down on the same flight but stayed at different resorts and I met up with them for one TS meal and some park time but I was probably on my own about 60-70% of the trip. And I loved it.

My last trip was with my extended family of 16 people and I was the organizer. I cannot tell you how relaxing it was to just wander around doing what I wanted, when I wanted with no one else to worry about. I would definitely do it again.

Maybe start someplace small. Go away for the weekend, but not too far. Sign up for a day at the spa - massage, mani/pedi, get your hair done, then take yourself to a lecture at a museum or something similar. Keep yourself busy but not "I'm taking care of someone else busy." You would also be with other people but not actually *with* other people. See how you feel and go from there.

I can relate. I have two kids, 1 & 3. I'm soo ready for my break, too!

I was a little worried that I'd feel strange on a solo trip myself. Once I was there, it was great! Plenty of places I could sit quietly if I wanted. At the same time, plenty of people who were friendly and talkative if I wanted to engage with others. I wouldn't worry so much about the what-ifs. Plan out the things you'd enjoy and go for it! Steak dinner? Thrill rides? Burgers and fries and plenty of shows? It's all yours for the taking to do as you please.

Sometimes for me, as a quieter personality, I enjoyed places I could sit alone-ish either in quiet or having things to watch. I loved sitting outside of Backlot Express where I could eat while watching the kiddos doing Jedi training. I liked the quiet spots upstairs at Columbia Harbor House where I could people-watch from the window while eating. I'm looking forward to Sci Fi Dine in Theater where I can eat while watching the old theater clips.

Everyone enjoys different things, but if you need a break, you need a break. The nice thing about going solo is that you can do what you want to do precisely when you want to do it. Since you're so close and I assume you're driving, that means you'll also probably have a car. You could always do things like a tour or two which would give you a group for a few hours; you could also go horseback riding (again, with a group) or watch Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and be part of the crowd.

There's no right or wrong way to vacation. Try to find what works for you.

If going by yourself is too daunting, maybe you could find a fellow mom friend or have a sister who also needs a break? That way you could share a room and have someone to talk to on the road.

I too am feeling some of this awkwardness about my upcoming trip. I don't have any problems at home eating out alone if I happen to be out & about. I've been to movies by myself before and it was fine. But I really want to do a character meal (or 2) and I'm not sure how I'll feel about that. Middle-age lady all by herself getting pictures with animated ducks. :o I was excited about it until I mentioned it to a couple of people - one of them said, "How fun!" - that was the correct response. Later when I told someone else, he said, "That's a little weird." He saw how dismayed I was and immediately apologized but the damage was done and I'm second-guessing the character meals. :sad1:

Some people would think it is weird to do that with kids. So what? I'm trying very hard to worry a lot less about what other people think of my hobbies, and while it is a work in progress, I am getting there.

I'm taking my 1st solo trip in a week or so. I tacked on a few days after a work conference. For the conference period (4days), I am staying at CSR and am also going to go to some of the parks when I have "off" time. Then I will move to SSR and then Poly for 2 days each (we have DVC). I'm excited to stay at a new place (SSR) and be at different resorts during the stay. I decided to get the dining plan and have dinner ADR's for the non-conference days - it was fun picking these out because I am going to my favorite WDW restaurant (The Wave) but also trying some places that my kids either don't like (Coral Reef - they don't prefer seafood) or haven't wanted to try (Tokyo Dining). I have no problem eating alone as I often have to do this when in town before or after work conferences when colleagues either haven't arrived yet or have left before me and I will take my kindle with me. I also have been given a "job" by DH to hit up the Food & Wine festival center multiple times to get the AP rewards (a refrigerator magnet and cutting board - I think you have to go there 4 times to get the cutting board) - it's sort of fun to have to plan out something like that or to give yourself an activity to do (like another poster said about taking certain photos, etc.) - I've also tried to plan out seeing the evening shows I want to see.
All in all, it will be different and I'm sure I'll miss my DH and kids, but I think it will be great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter