New AP rate Program is AWFUL!!

flame retardent suit on - I like it! for genuine users of APs those of us who make multiple trips each year.....We are a family of 5 who buy 5 APs a year. :crazy:

TLinden16 said:
Cobbler, that is because the website is designed for people who are booking at least 120 days out. It's not for people who are trying to book within that 120 day window. If there are AP rates available, it doesn't say that you can't call to get them.

Karen

That's what I'm wondering. Will this be the only way to get AP rates or is a separate program for those who book early but there may still be AP rates by phone as before? Those who book this program will get first dibs on lower AP rates when they are offered?

Well I am just so confused over the whole thing. It just seems like they make it harder and harder that I almost said to myself time to try Universal. I have an AP pass and never abused the system but I am sure it was easy to do as nobody ever checked my pass but I was ready. However, I think people with AP have alot more knowledge than the CM's and for people like us who like to book in Jan for the following Dec so that we can talk about it all year - we will still be tying up a room. We have specific desires - sometimes concierge, or strictly tower at the Contemporary, etc. We never just book a straight room and any time we tried to get prices on line our selections were never avail even though we NEVER BOOK LAST MINUTE. Looks to me if I decide to renew my AP that we are going to have to trust a travel agent, however this year we are going for New Year's Eve and the resorts are already booked up. How could we wait 120 days out? We would never get a room. Like I said - I am confused and will continue to do my homework to see if I should renew. :confused3

DebbieB said:
That's what I'm wondering. Will this be the only way to get AP rates or is a separate program for those who book early but there may still be AP rates by phone as before? Those who book this program will get first dibs on lower AP rates when they are offered?

That's how I'm taking it, Debbie. I really think this program is a win win for Disney and those people who book early and then apply codes when they become available (which is a lot of people on the DIS--just think back to all those code watch/post your rate you got with this code here threads).

I don't think this is going to eliminate the last minute bookings if the rates are available. I just can't see Disney alienating the AP holders by not offering AP rates within that 120 day window. They'd rather see those rooms filled at 40% off at the last minute than have them go empty.

The more I think about this, the more I like it for people who do book a room in advance and apply a discount later.

I guess time will tell if I'm right or not.

Karen

Defend WDW if you must, however---any hotel reservation system that does not allow you to get your deposit back within a resonable period of time is a bad system. Period. This is simply abuse of your custormers.

magicmouse2 said:
flame retardent suit on - I like it! for genuine users of APs those of us who make multiple trips each year.....We are a family of 5 who buy 5 APs a year. :crazy:

I agree completely.....no flames here. :goodvibes

I just posted this is reply to a similiar thread on the CB, but wanted to put it her too. Now everyone take a DEEP breath and read:

From what I understand, this is a special PROMOTION. Disney is not doing away with getting the AP discounts the 'old' way, not stopping you from making a ressie on the phone or doing away with the normal "codes" we have all grown so good at seeking out. You can also still have more than 1 reservation. This is just a way for you to make a reservation, then not need to call later to have a code applied. It will be applied for you. There is no need to panic!! This comes from a WDW CM! :)

I don't agree with the nonrefundable part of it, but I will say that I have seen a lot of hotels have certain rates that are non refundable (i.e. special internet rates).

Basically, you know the conditions going in. It's up to you whether or not you accept those conditions.

Karen

The problem I have with this new system is the non-refundable deposit. We may have to cancel or postpone trips due to work or family issues. I would not book with an ap discount now because I would not want to lose my deposit. I'll go back to AAA discount or book rack rate :earseek: .

DebbieB said:

I think that there will be AP discounts for the last minute bookings, but I believe that the BEST discounts will be for those who book through the program. I am not a fan of this change, but it doesn't look like we are going to have too many choices left once this takes hold. They could've done this easier, like book online and enter your AP ID and get a discounted rate room. How hard could that have been, none of this no deposit refund, 120 day crap. Sorry, just venting out loud! (who thought of this?)

TLinden16 said:
That's how I'm taking it, Debbie. I really think this program is a win win for Disney and those people who book early and then apply codes when they become available (which is a lot of people on the DIS--just think back to all those code watch/post your rate you got with this code here threads).

I don't think this is going to eliminate the last minute bookings if the rates are available. I just can't see Disney alienating the AP holders by not offering AP rates within that 120 day window. They'd rather see those rooms filled at 40% off at the last minute than have them go empty.

The more I think about this, the more I like it for people who do book a room in advance and apply a discount later.

I guess time will tell if I'm right or not.

Karen{/QUOTE]

I think you're right, Karen. Win for WDW and win for true AP holders who plan ahead. And I also suspect that there will be some availability for AP holders who can't book way ahead. But this way, those first discounts go to the people who really are AP holders.

Nik's Mom said:
The problem I have with this new system is the non-refundable deposit. We may have to cancel or postpone trips due to work or family issues. I would not book with an ap discount now because I would not want to lose my deposit. I'll go back to AAA discount or book rack rate :earseek: .

But perhaps it will be nonrefundable but applicable to future reservations. Sort of like Southwest's policy which is so much better than other airlines.

always quiet said:
I just posted this is reply to a similiar thread on the CB, but wanted to put it her too. Now everyone take a DEEP breath and read:

From what I understand, this is a special PROMOTION. Disney is not doing away with getting the AP discounts the 'old' way, not stopping you from making a ressie on the phone or doing away with the normal "codes" we have all grown so good at seeking out. You can also still have more than 1 reservation. This is just a way for you to make a reservation, then not need to call later to have a code applied. It will be applied for you. There is no need to panic!! This comes from a WDW CM! :)

Nothing against you, just general comments. Now it would be nice if it were just a promotion but we all know how much conflicting information we get from cast members.

In fact just yesterday my dad mentioned how he would like to go to the WL for our Oct trip instead of FQ. So I thought I would see what AP rates were avail (we check in on the 1st) the CM told me Ap rates were not out past August 20 something. I said they were and have been out for about 3 weeks now. She insisted there was nothing out and couldn't get me anything. Of course I said thank you, hung up and called back.

WDWBetsy said:
I guess I see it as this: you're paying for an AP for the purpose of getting paid park admission for the year. Disney is not trying to sell these passes as a room discount card. That idea is something that is promoted through discussion boards. An AP is simply so you can:

From the Disney World website:
Enjoy 365 days of magic. Annual passholders can come and go as they please through all four Theme Parks for an entire year.

Yes, they say you get benefits with the pass. But all the literature I have seen is that the periodic room discounts MAY be offered.

I agree that many are used to the discounts of the past few years - which were offered to fill the rooms during the travel slump. If a resort isn't having a problem filling those rooms, they don't offer discounts. Supply and demand - simple as that.

For those who have only bought the AP for the sole purpose of saving money on their resort stay with the discount, you might not get your original idea of your money's worth. I have seen many posts on the DIS where someone is encouraged to buy an AP to save money on their room "when the AP rates come out" - resulting in pre-conceived notions of year-round discounts being born in the minds of those reading the posts. Yes, historically they have offered discounts, but remember since 2001 the travel industry has been hurting and it is now in a better state.

It's not about Disney being mean to their loyal AP holders. It's about them offering a product (the AP) which also provides benefits - some of which are periodic. If they choose to change their program to eliminate some of the loopholes that some have taken advantage of or to have some restrictions, that is their right.

Again - I see the AP as a park pass, not a room discount card.

Just my two cents.

Very well said, I completely agree.

Something else, some seem to keep forgetting. Disney wants to fill their rooms. It does not matter to them if they fill them with repeat guests or someone there for the very first time. They want them filled at the highest possible rate. As a stockholder I agree. Now if Disney sees that they can not fill these rooms, and they need to adjust the program to fill rooms then it will be adjusted, just as it was in the past when the discounts we have all loved were offered. I enjoyed them as much as anyone. It allowed me to stay at the Grand Floridian. However if in the future I can no longer afford the Grand, then that's just the way it is. I am not angry at Disney about it.

Oh believe me it is about money, but all those bad apples cost them money. Everytime someone calls and calls and calls about a possible, maybe, I think I might book a room, discount, it cost the company money. When someone booked multiple rooms and then at the last moment cancelled them and they were not able to rebook, it cost them money. When people only bought one child's AP and not APs for the entire family, it cost them money. When someone scammed the system and booked an AP discount and never bought the pass it cost them money.

So yes you are correct it is about money. As it should be in any company. They are a business not a charity, which some have forgotten.

As long as unlimited admission to all parks, year round with no blackout dates, is provided, I feel I have gotten exactly what I paid for in an Annual Pass.

I do agree with Karen. I don't think those that can not or choose not to book 120 days in advance, and under the restrictions will be completely shut out. I just do not think they will get the same discount.

Actually why shouldn't Disney offer a great discount to this type of guest. They book early, they stay the course, they don't cancel and they don't keep calling back daily trying to improve the situation. It is very much a win, win situation. This lets them know at 120 days out what resorts are booked and which are not.

It is very possible closer to the date, say even as little as 30 days, some discounts would still be available, they just want be the ones the new program offers.

I truly do not see this as being different from what other business offer for booking early such as cruise lines, airlines etc. They offer great rates for those that know what they want early and can live with the restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmouse2
flame retardent suit on - I like it! for genuine users of APs those of us who make multiple trips each year.....We are a family of 5 who buy 5 APs a year.

magicmouse2, I'm just curious why you like the proposed new AP room discount system. I'm a "genuine APs user", both DW and I have had APs for about 10 years and have renewed them each year. We have averaged 3 to 4 trips a year(off season) to WDW, staying at WDW resorts 20 to 30 days per year. We plan our trips well in advance(more than 120 days out) and have always gotten AP room discounts for our off season trips. Do you stay at WDW resorts during each of your multiple trips to WDW? Do you always pay rack room rates? Maybe I don't understand the new AP rooms discounts, so please let me know why "you like it"? Your liking the new system, may show me why I should like it.

Thank you

TLinden16 said:
No where does it say that you can't call and book AP rates within the 120 day window if they are available. If you look on the passholder website, it says this program is for people who book a few months in advance:

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

It doesn't say anything about not being able to book within that 120 window if there are rooms available. To me, this program looks like away for those of us who do book a room in advance and look to apply codes at a later rate to book our room and not worry about making those phone calls when the codes are released.

I think people will still have the opportunity to make those last minute reservations by phone if they are available.

Karen

I'm agreeing with Karen on this one (again!) :teeth:

I believe that this is a way for WDW to encourage bookings further out. Let's face it, a lot of AP'ers book last minute (me included, I have booked day of arrival on a few trips!) This helps them to gauge the demand for a particular time period, and set the rates accordingly. Now if that upsets you, I can assure you that WDW is in the hotel business and works like a lot of other companies.

There is nothing to say that WDW won't offer short term, targeted AP rates during low demand periods. Why would they let a large number of rooms go empty in early January, rather than entice AP holders who know that it's a good time to visit, and can often plan shortterm? For instance, I could see them running a special announced the first week of December, for stays January 1-15th or something.

I am guilty of booking a room and cancelling (hey, I have been trying to stay one night at WDW since early May, and am currently doing a very long tour of the Southeast for work - I've rescheduled about 5 times). The deposit requirement will prevent me from booking, as I don't know my work/travel schedule far in advance (and as witnessed this month, it changes all the time)

But I am going to sit tight and wait and see. I suspect that we may see something positive come out of this.

Sammie said:
I truly do not see this as being different from what other business offer for booking early such as cruise lines, airlines etc. They offer great rates for those that know what they want early and can live with the restrictions.
Good point. The only folks who lose on this are folks who have the fastest fingers on the telephone dial -- that seemed like an unseemly arbitrary way of allocating discounts to customers anyway.

I agree with Sammie.

My thoughts are - if Disney can fill their rooms with rack-rate-paying, package-ticket-buying guests, they don't have much of an incentive to offer room discounts to AP holders who may be getting a discount on park admission with their AP. I don't really have on opinion about the *loyalty* issue, because I think mainly in business sense when it comes to things like this. I can see how people are upset though.

I do think that this may be a good way to curb the abuse of the system that definitely exists. However, I dislike the non-refundable deposit 4 months out. I think that takes away the flexibility that many passholders have been able to enjoy.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

jwfla422 said:
If the AP is just a "park pass" what's the point in having it?? Then just buy a park hopper or whatever pass suits your visit...when we first starting buying AP's (FL resident APs) the point was the "perks" and the $$ you save by having one...that was their promotion.
A FL seasonal pass is less expensive than a 4 day ticket, so if you are visiting the parks more than 4 times a year it is more than worth it.

Go ahead and flame me, but when things are slow for WDW, we, the AP holders & the FL residents/locals are many of the "very" guests who support them. We've had APs (off & on) for years and back in the early 90s during some very "bad" times for WDW we were there supporting them to only have the resort rates triple in price as soon as things starting going well. Business?? What happened to good business and taking care of those who take care of you through the rough times, many times WDW just doesn't see this which is a real shame.
I'm not trying to flame you, but please keep in mind that EVERYTHING has increased in price compared to what it has been in the past, except for outdated technology. And would FL res and AP holders have been there to "support" Disney if the rates hadn't been so low? Probably not, because due to economic conditions disposable income was low. WDW made lower rates available to fill rooms (the operation costs were still the same so they probably did not post much of a profit) but it was better to have rooms booked at a discount instead of no rooms at all. And to me it seems as though they are still "taking care of those who take care of you" by still offering discounts. Granted they are not as great as they once were, but think about the number of times someone calls for rack rate and the room is not available because that room has been discounted for a FL res or AP. I'm sure there aren't as many discounted rooms available now, though.

This was one of the main reasons for us looking further into staying at the S/D during this time which quite frankly was a good thing for us because we discovered how wonderful these resorts were along with their great CMs!! and since we've been staying here almost exclusively.
I am glad that you enjoy those resorts, there are in my favorite Epcot resort area. But those are not WDW cast members, just friendly hospitality employees!

So the moral is we can complain about it or find a way around it. I'm good at complaining :rotfl: but I do try to find a solution that works best for us...after all we're Disney Fanatics, so we gotta find a way around the corporate gunk so we can enjoy what it is really all about.
That's a pretty decent attitude. Find the best solution for yourself as an individual/family. Complaining doesn't really accomplish anything (IMO.) Suggestions are always welcome, though. I am personally more inclined to help someone if they are friendly and calm about it as opposed to irate and angry about it. Do unto others is the motto I live by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter