• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Annual Passholder

rikimuk

Mouseketeer
OK we have just purchased annual pass for our trip in September. We live in the UK and this is the first time we have brought an annual pass so I have a few questions.

1- We cant activate our pass until we arrive so does this mean we need to pay for parking at the park on our first visit? Also where do we go to collect our passes from?
2- The details say we get a magic band once the account is active but this wont be happening until we get over there. Where do we pick up the magic bands and are they special ones for annual passholders?
3 - Is there an annual passholder site telling us everything we can get etc?
4- How do we ensure we are signed up to the passholder emails as I have seen posts about missing emails about special events?
5 - Anything else as a newbie I should know?

Thanks

Lindsay

1-yes you pay for parking and then bring your receipt to the booth where you activate your pass. They will refund your $22 via Disney gift card. We did ours at the ticket and transportation center on the way into magic kingdom.
2-we haven’t done the next step yet. I’m pretty sure that you do it online and the mail you the magic band. We bought some to use.
3-in the welcome email it suggests their Facebook page etc.
4-they send a welcome email a few days after you activate.
5-there are AP entrance lines, this helped us at animal kingdom with a shorter line.

Have fun!

OK we have just purchased annual pass for our trip in September.
2- The details say we get a magic band once the account is active but this wont be happening until we get over there. Where do we pick up the magic bands and are they special ones for annual passholders?
3 - Is there an annual passholder site telling us everything we can get etc?

2. Normally, after you activate your annual pass at Disney World, you can go into your My Disney Experience account and customize a Magic Band, the same way you do it for a trip where you are staying at a Disney hotel. It gets shipped to your house. BUT since you are from the UK, I'm not sure if it works differently. (If I recall correctly, if you are staying at a Disney hotel they do not ship Magic Bands to other countries, so I don't know what they do about getting you the Magic Band to which you are entitled as an AP holder.)

3. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/

Sorry OP to jump in on your post. I'm planning on purchasing the annual pass for my next trip (Canadian so no mailed magic band). However, I have magic bands from previous trips. Can I link my AP to one of those? Or do I need a new magic band? By the way, I'm also a DVC owner and staying on site.

Sorry OP to jump in on your post. I'm planning on purchasing the annual pass for my next trip (Canadian so no mailed magic band). However, I have magic bands from previous trips. Can I link my AP to one of those? Or do I need a new magic band? By the way, I'm also a DVC owner and staying on site.

Your AP will work with all your existing magic bands. You do not HAVE to get the AP magic band at all - it's just a plain color one (not any special design). Although it DOES come with the AP slider which is nice. That's the only reason I ordered mine.

You can customise your magic band and have it delivered to your hotel in the US, they won’t deliver to the UK unfortunately. The best place to get all your info is on these boards, we have had APs twice and both times they have never sent me emails or updates despite me making sure all details are up to date etc. However by checking the boards, I have been able to sign up for special events in September.
Don’t forget if staying off site, the the AP will affect how many days you can book FPs, this did come as a bit of a shock after using a 21 day ticket :).
The other thing is that if you have an AP from the UK, you must be getting to spend a lot of time in WDW over the year, so have a fab time.

Your AP will be linked to your My Disney Experience and all of your active bands will also be linked to your MDE so you are not actually linking your tickets to a band, everything is linked to each other through MDE.

You do not need a new band and there is nothing special about the AP band you can order after your first trip except that it comes with an orange AP slider. All active bands work equally and interchangeably.

2- The details say we get a magic band once the account is active but this wont be happening until we get over there.
2a- Where do we pick up the magic bands and
2b- are they special ones for annual passholders?

Some have said you can get the AP band at Liberty square.

2a- Yes. Info offered is that new AP holders can go to MK's Liberty Square Ticket Office (see upper left of my map below)
and pick up a MB.
(BTW, this info is so very seldom reported that I don't know if it is still valid.
If you do go there, please report back after your trip.)

2b- Sorry. Nothing special about the AP MB.

MK-Hub-FireworksDessert_062418_zpsnsqefaqz.jpg

I'm very excited as I'm about to become an Annual Passholder. Our daughter lives in the WDW area so I'm fortunate to make extra trips, albeit they are short trips. Even so, going down Labor Day Weekend, Christmas and February. The AP will cost me $22 more than buying for the three trips separately and I figure I'll make that up in the food and merchandise discounts. Super excited to call myself an Annual Passholder even though I'm sure it's a one time thing.

I'm very excited as I'm about to become an Annual Passholder. Our daughter lives in the WDW area so I'm fortunate to make extra trips, albeit they are short trips. Even so, going down Labor Day Weekend, Christmas and February. The AP will cost me $22 more than buying for the three trips separately and I figure I'll make that up in the food and merchandise discounts. Super excited to call myself an Annual Passholder even though I'm sure it's a one time thing.
We are only going to be going about three times in the next year but worked out it was still cheaper for us so I’m very excited as well lol

We live 8 hours away, have AP, and use them often. Not uncommon for us to make a visit for a long weekend. Even this weekend, we will be heading down Friday night, and returning Sunday Evening. Really just 1 day and a few hours to visit. But with an AP, and a few Hilton points, it is basically a free trip.

“Free Parking” probably makes up for it by itself. Food and merchandise discounts also start adding up. On our most recent trip, while I know it kind of breaks the rules, there were times I purchased and received a discount for an item for someone else. Nothing major, but a few cents here and there.

One thing I just learned, the confectionary shop at the beginning of Main Street is considered a merchandise shop. So, any food/soda/water/snacks you purchase there will also qualify for the 10% discount.

We too thought we would only have an AP once. That was 10 years ago. But there are times that we have not had the AP, as we often try to plan our week long trip one year at the middle to end of the summer, while doing the beginning to middle the next year.

Congrats!

We have never been one before this past year since it never worked out. However DVC offered a discount and we did the math and it was cheaper than just buying tickets for our 2 trips, so we went that route.

When we added up all the extras (discounts, memory maker which we always get and the ability to park hop) it's actually been a huge advantage to us so we are going to try to carry it forward next year too.

1- We cant activate our pass until we arrive so does this mean we need to pay for parking at the park on our first visit? Also where do we go to collect our passes from?
When I had an unactivated AP, I told the CM at the entrance to parking and had my AP letter--they let me in without paying for parking. Not sure if this is normal protocol or I was just lucky. It's worth a try so you don't have to spend time tracking down the refund.

Also sorry to jump in on this, but since I'm looking at also becoming a 'New Annual Passholder', I had a question about FP+, I know AP get to book up to 7 days, however, if you are staying on-site, the Disney resort rules apply (ie 60 days out, length of stay). However, I was just reading this on Disney's website:

"Passholders with reservations at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel can start making FastPass+ selections as early as 60 days prior to the check-in date―and can secure FastPass+ selections for the length of stay or up to 7 days. Please note that if your length of stay is longer than two weeks, FastPass+ selections can be made for up to 14 days."
Which seems to imply that my upcoming split stay in November, where I have a total of 13 nights over 3 resorts, I will only be able to make 7 days worth of FP selections?

Also sorry to jump in on this, but since I'm looking at also becoming a 'New Annual Passholder', I had a question about FP+, I know AP get to book up to 7 days, however, if you are staying on-site, the Disney resort rules apply (ie 60 days out, length of stay). However, I was just reading this on Disney's website:

"Passholders with reservations at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel can start making FastPass+ selections as early as 60 days prior to the check-in date―and can secure FastPass+ selections for the length of stay or up to 7 days. Please note that if your length of stay is longer than two weeks, FastPass+ selections can be made for up to 14 days."
Which seems to imply that my upcoming split stay in November, where I have a total of 13 nights over 3 resorts, I will only be able to make 7 days worth of FP selections?

If all 3 resorts at which you are staying are WDW resorts, you'll be able to book for your entire trip in advance.

When I had an unactivated AP, I told the CM at the entrance to parking and had my AP letter--they let me in without paying for parking. Not sure if this is normal protocol or I was just lucky. It's worth a try so you don't have to spend time tracking down the refund.

Oh, and one other point. Because of the timing of our trips, the past couple of times that we have had the need to activate our passes, we went to customer service in Disney Springs the night before. They can activate them there, and your start date will still not be until they are used at the parks for the first time.

This approach may save you some time at the parks on your first day, but really only works if you are in the area the day before you start going to the parks.

I also usually take care of any AP business at Disney Springs. The guest relations windows at the parks just seem more stressful to me.

I also usually take care of any AP business at Disney Springs. The guest relations windows at the parks just seem more stressful to me.

For even easier access, you could go to the Guest Relations at one of the Water Parks.
Parking is free and close-in, and there are usually not a lot of guests waiting.

Also, any of the "AP needs" can be handled at any WDW window marked as "Tickets" or "Will Call."
Walk up to any of these three options (Guest Relations, Tickets, Will Call) that looks less busy at the time you are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter