NEW (and IMPROVED, if THAT's possible!)Wilderness Lodge FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
Well, ye faithful readers, old and new, of our sacred (and humble) Wilderness Lodge thread, filled with tidbits, suggestions, helpful hints, and hilarities...it's hard to believe that the ORIGINAL WL FAQ thread was begun a year ago:earseek: !!

By overwhelming request, I hereby am up to the challenge, of seeking a new journey into the [sometimes:crazy:] unknown...unfortunately, it seems that we must trudge along without the INDESCRIBEABLE services and talents of askmickey and 999ghsts, whose dedication make the 1st FAQ thread utterly successful.

So, get out your hiking gear, your compasses, and your Coleman lantern, cuz' we are on a WONDERFUL trek to the GREAT NORTHWEST......

I have provided a link to the old WL FAQ thread...
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192282&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

(c'mon, WL VETS, I know you're are out there...we need to convert the "newbies";) !!All questions, stories, pix, and trip reports welcome!:wave:)

Just wanted to say we love the WL.

Stayed there last October and it was a great vacation.

We are going to AKL in October and are thinking about adding a few days at WL at the end of our trip.

I want to know everything there is to know about this resort! :teeth: We are finally staying there for our FIRST time, this August. While we go visit everytime we're at WDW, obviously it's not the same. In fact, DH said the first time he walked into the resort "Someday we are staying here!";)

We have a standard room with bunks. I know the kids will love that!;) I didn't request any special section, because I have no idea. I'm just thrilled to be there!

So, what do I need to know to be a WL Expert????;) :teeth:
Thanks kimmar067, for starting this, I would of never made it though the other one. I was only on page 10 out of 149!!:rolleyes:

I'm glad to see this thread is renewing itself. I can't wait to see the WL on the Travel Channel this weekend. I think it will help me finally make up my mind for our trip in November. After seeing the pictures on various sites of the Christmas decorations it really seems like it would be a great place to be at that time of the year.

My dad, who will be going with me and my 3 daughters, is not too positive about the transportation deal at WL, but I'm thinking that we're going right before Thanksgiving (leaving WDW on Thanksgiving day) so there probably won't be much of a crowd at all. Anyway, I'm paying so it's up to me!!

How is the pool at Wilderness Lodge? It looks really pretty. Only thing, the slide looks really short. Are the pictures not doing it justice?

We'll be staying at WL next month for the very first time, and I'M SO EXCITED!!! :bounce: :bounce: We ate at Whispering Canyon on our first trip to WDW years ago, and DH and I have always dreamed of staying at WL, but with 2 kids, paying for 4 airfares, 4 park admissions, 4 meals, etc. we just couldn't afford it. But we got bumped from POFQ this year and got WL at an incredible price, so we're finally staying there!!

I just hope we get to be flag family; I'm even packing DH's and the boys' Boy Scout shirts so they'll look real "official" if we get to do it.

Did I tell you that I'M SO EXCITED?!!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hello, we've stayed at the WL three times and have run the trails pretty much every day. On one post we read, someone mentioned an otter pond and otters. Where is this pond and are there real otters, As I said, my husband and I have done our running around the trails, but never saw a pond or any otters. Please let us know about this. Thanks

I can only dream about our next visit, no plans made yet.

Anyone know a good room # or area to request on a upper floor to possibly be able to see the MK? Non-smoking too. I started going through the old FAQ but its huge!

We were in room #5012. This is a woods view room with bunkbeds and a great view of MK and the fireworks. My SIL and BIL were in room #5014 with same view and two queen beds. We tried to stay at MK to see the fireworks on our first full day, but my boys got too tired. We returned to WL around 3pm and were thrilled to be able to see the fireworks from our balcony later that evening. My youngest still remembers watching the fireworks from the balcony and talks about it often.

At 9:35 pm go down to the beach area or the boat dock to see
a cute parade on the water--I forget the name of it--but the kids will enjoy it. Then a few minutes later you will have a pretty good view of the fireworks.

...the Electric Water Pageant, and it's accompanied to music. There are 2 parts: the first part is a variety of animals, and the 2nd part is a "patriotic" theme....you can also see it from many of the balconies.

As for the otter pond...YES, it does exists. However,there isn't guest access to it. You can view it if you request a North Wing woodsview room. It is located to the north of the "outer" north wing section. Those otters are shy critters, and, even if you have access to one of these rooms, it still does not guarantee that you will see any of those four-legged friends!

Amy, I am so excited for you! Make sure you request to be a "Flag Family" AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN, as it gets booked up pretty quickly. Also, expect to spend about 45 minutes "doing" this "ceremony".....

We stayed in room 7046--great view of the castle and Fireworks!!
Total cost per night was $199--upgrade at check in. What is the usual rack rate for this type of concierge service?? I felt that I got a great deal--what do you think??

...was the $199 with tax included? If so, that was a VERY good rate!!

We stayed in room 6012 (the room right above Loubelou's!) in December, and I think it was just about perfect.

We watched the fireworks and the castle changing colors from our balcony every night. The view was wonderful. The balcony was the solid wood kind, but this was really no problem for us.

We had bunkbeds for the boys, and they loved them.

It was a short walk down the hall to the elevators. Those elevators are very close to Roaring Forks where we refilled our mugs with coffee every morning and hot chocolate every evening. The laundry was also right there, and the door to the pool was very close too.

If we looked down from our balcony and to the left, we could see the otter pond. Someone asked where it was; I'm not sure how you would get to it by walking around the grounds because my sense of direction isn't the best, but it's on the MK side of WL toward the parking lot end of the resort. We never did see any otters, but we heard them a couple of times. And it was very relaxing to see the pond on one side and a bit of the lake through the trees on the other side.

We could even see the monorail going by through the trees from our room.

I had thought we would enjoy a room opening onto the lobby, but I think it was better to have a quiet room tucked away down a hallway. Every morning we would walk through the lobby on our way to the bus stop, and most evenings we enjoyed hot chocolate by the fireplace in the lobby. So even though our room wasn't right off the lobby,we still had plenty of chances to enjoy it!

When we go back to WL in the future, I hope we can get a room as close to the one we had as possible!!

Kaycee

...I see you STILL have not added "WL VET" to YOUR siggie, either;) !

I am so excited to see a new WL FAQ! We will be staying there for the 1st time in December. We booked a standard room and I was wondering where in the lodge these rooms are located and what kind of view to expect. Thanks!

Most of the standard view rooms are around the lobby and the view is of the parking lot or the delivery area from what I understand. We are staying in a standard view this time in order to save money. Last time we had a woods view and it was great being able to view the fireworks. This time my boys are older and I'm hoping that they last longer at the parks. So, I'm not expecting to be in the room as much as we were on our last trip. I think any room at the WL is a great room and I'm just glad to be going back.

Flora Fauna, The slide is not that long, but the pool is wonderful. It's a great way to relax after your busy day at the parks. The sound of the falls combined with the beautiful environment will be enough to transform and sooth you.

Kim, glad to see the new thread up and running! I am sure it will be a great success......again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter