NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

I don't get the big deal about AC in the cars, these are basically grown up Von Roll Sky Ride 101 cars (the sky bucket was Von Roll 101, but almost every other theme/amusement park had one back in the 70's), Doppelmayr IS Von Roll. I have ridden dozens of them... there is enough breeze in the air even in the hottest climate to make for a comfortable ride. Also, there is a Von Roll at Stone Mountain in Atlanta Georgia, in fact, it's probably a more comparable experience. The Von Roll at Stone Mountain is a large, glassed enclosed car, that holds probably 30-40 total people. No AC, IN ATLANTA. I rode it in August... no problems. Think about it, are the EPCOT/Hollywood studios boats air conditioned? No. If there is moving air, and shade, you are usually comfortable.

By the way, as someone who goes out of their way to ride Von Rolls whenever I can... I am THRILLED about this. I have yet to stay at CBR (its the last moderate I haven't stayed at...) and I think this might be the driving perk to finally get me there.

Jennifer
Your incorrect the boats are air condioned

I was quite confused by the title of this thread before I began reading it. I thought, "Why is there a debate on whether or not there will be air conditioning in the new hotel?" haha

At any rate, I'm interested in seeing more about this as it progresses. The earlier contracts at BWV and BCV aren't as appealing for us so this could be nice.

I also was confused, I'm like what no AC,. LOL

I'm excited about the gondolas, they look so cute. I can't imagine they would build anything in Florida without AC though. Hot sunny florida, maybe they can market it as a water ride, with hot sweaty passengers LOL
Kerri

I was quite confused by the title of this thread before I began reading it. I thought, "Why is there a debate on whether or not there will be air conditioning in the new hotel?" haha

At any rate, I'm interested in seeing more about this as it progresses. The earlier contracts at BWV and BCV aren't as appealing for us so this could be nice.
I added the word gondola to help with the confusion ;)

If a ski resort temperature got hot enough for AC, the snow would melt and no one would be riding the gondola. In Florida during summer months, it would be unsafe to enclose people in a cabin without a way to control air temperature. You have to design systems for the worse case scenario.
Then again, I could be wrong. Disney improperly sized HVAC system for some of the most expensive rooms at the Poly. When you rely on subcontractors, you might get a good price for a system that falls short during peak loads
Btw, most ski resorts operate in the summer when there is no snow, though on a more limited basis for bikers/hikers/mountain lovers. Its cheaper than during ski time and absolutely glorious, highly recommend it sometime.
That being said, ski resorts not a good comparison for gondolas even during the summer since the altitude = great temperatures even at the height of summer when there's no snow.

I've been hoping for another Epcot resort for awhile, hoping to see more news about this as my family adores BCV and have been considering picking up a once-every-three-years contract there for quite some time as we love to Eat Around the World as our vacation priority with the fabulous pool as the kicker. Going to need to see more resort and room renderings before I'm sold on this resort, though I like the style and the gondola doesn't deter me but is only a minor plus in my book. My dream is for an Epcot resort that has 2 bathrooms in the 1 bedroom and 3 in the 2 bedroom, like my beloved VGC (and also why we love BLT just not huge fans of the location). Suspect I'll keep dreaming though.

....My dream is for an Epcot resort that has 2 bathrooms in the 1 bedroom and 3 in the 2 bedroom, like my beloved VGC (and also why we love BLT just not huge fans of the location). Suspect I'll keep dreaming though.

AKL-Kidani also has 2 baths in the 1 bedroom and 3 in the 2 bedroom. Given that the Riviera will be the first DVC built from the ground up since VGF (which doesn't have the extra bathrooms, which has disappointed some people), so DVD doesn't have a pre-existing building frame to fit villas into, I'm hopeful that they'll follow the AKV-K model. But we'll just have to wait and see...sigh.

Your incorrect the boats are air condioned
Technically, yes, but since the windows open, and passengers are not prevented from opening windows (we've complained multiple times to the boat drivers), the a/c is very ineffective.
On our summer trips, we almost always walk to DHS & Epcot from BWV, even on the hottest days, rather than take a boat. Inside those boats it's just too hot.

Technically, yes, but since the windows open, and passengers are not prevented from opening windows (we've complained multiple times to the boat drivers), the a/c is very ineffective.
On our summer trips, we almost always walk to DHS & Epcot from BWV, even on the hottest days, rather than take a boat. Inside those boats it's just too hot.

When we’ve ridden the Friendship Boats during the last few years, the windows have been sealed and couldn’t be opened, and the AC has worked well.

AKL-Kidani also has 2 baths in the 1 bedroom and 3 in the 2 bedroom. Given that the Riviera will be the first DVC built from the ground up since VGF (which doesn't have the extra bathrooms, which has disappointed some people), so DVD doesn't have a pre-existing building frame to fit villas into, I'm hopeful that they'll follow the AKV-K model. But we'll just have to wait and see...sigh.

That would be great. Or at least have something like they have at VGF, with a split bath. But then you lose the third toilet.

That would be great. Or at least have something like they have at VGF, with a split bath. But then you lose the third toilet.

Yep. Since the official announcement at D23 specifically said there will be a "rooftop restaurant that will offer unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Hollywood Studios" I'm very hopeful that this new resort will be "super deluxe" and incorporate all the features that people love about the various other DVC and non-DVC deluxe resorts. But I'm not holding my breath or counting on that!

Yep. Since the official announcement at D23 specifically said there will be a "rooftop restaurant that will offer unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Hollywood Studios" I'm very hopeful that this new resort will be "super deluxe" and incorporate all the features that people love about the various other DVC and non-DVC deluxe resorts. But I'm not holding my breath or counting on that!

I expect DVD to up each new resort that they build. Something will be offered to make the new better than the last. That is how the justify their price increases. Rooftop restaurant, the skyliner, and the lobby are the extras for the Riviera.

:earsboy: Bill

Two recent updates from reliable wdwmagic insider Magic Feather:

"Riviera will be nice, but not some glorious, life-altering DVC."

"And Riviera will actually be cheaper as far as DVC goes, but still spensive."

When he says cheaper, I assume he means point cost per night and not the buy in cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter