New ‘Hotel Lulu’ Reviews?

mickeyboof

Mouseketeer
Red Lion Inn sold their S Harbor Blvd property last year. Hotel Lulu has since opened this past May, billed as a Best Western Premier Collection Hotel, whatever that means.

The publicity photos look great, as well as the very few guest photos I’ve found on Instagram.

Has anyone had the chance to stay here, or heard any talk? The price is great for my July stay, so I was thinking of switching over from my current Candlewood Suites reservation.

Hotel Lulu seems to have a fun and fresh design (though it seems much of the furniture was kept from its Red Lion days, including headboards and in-room desks, repainted), a much much larger pool and saves us a cute .6 miles of walking each day. Close to Walgreens as well, for the inevitable last minute needs.

On the surface, it seems like a great switch… However, I am very worried the dankness that was Red Lion Inn lingers on….

Last edited:
@mickeyboof, wow keeping the furnishing is not a great sign. Repainting sounds like lipstick on a pig. Did they change carpets? You are wise to question things, the old RL there did not get very good comments from guests. I can't comment since I've not stayed there, just knew how bad the RL fallen.

@mickeyboof, wow keeping the furnishing is not a great sign. Repainting sounds like lipstick on a pig. Did they change carpets? You are wise to question things, the old RL there did not get very good comments from guests. I can't comment since I've not stayed there, just knew how bad the RL fallen.

Seems to be new carpet, though I’ve only compared photos. Hopefully all the mattresses were replaced as well…

Stayed there one night for an impromptu visit a few weeks ago and it was amazing. They completely gutted the red lion and made it amazing. It has ZERO feelings of the red lion.

Wow! That is good to hear. Feels clean? Any concerns at all?

The rate is only ~100 a night, which is pretty good for such a close hotel on Harbor. I’m guessing the price will go up past this seemingly introductory rate once word of mouth spreads.

At work so can't type a full review with pics but will tonight - bed was the most comfortable I have slept on in a hotel in forever.
Carpet seemed new and fresh , whole interior had s california beach theme with disney touches here and there. Elevators are themed and super cute too. Staff was nothing but wonderful to me.

I'm looking forward to your review. We booked it for this weekend, for a number of reasons including limited choices due to a last minute trip, the great price, and the location. I wondered why I couldn't find many reviews or photos online. I didn't realize it was a fairly new redo.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your review. We booked it for this weekend, for a number of reasons including limited choices due to a lastinute trip, the great price, and the location. I wondered why I couldn't find many reviews or photos online. I didn't realize it was a fairly new redo.

Sorry things have been insane..so will have to type a review through my phone once I get to the airport or hotel in Anaheim tonight since I get zero signal at work..

Looking forward to the review as well. Four recent reviews on Trip Advisor were good. It is so much cheaper than other properties in the area and pictures looked nice so have a reservation which I'll keep if it is nice.

Stayed there one night for an impromptu visit a few weeks ago and it was amazing. They completely gutted the red lion and made it amazing. It has ZERO feelings of the red lion.
Can you confirm that they have a microwave in-room? The website says they do but I don't see it in any of the pics. Considering switching as it would be a huge savings compared to Hyatt House just next door.

Can you confirm that they have a microwave in-room? The website says they do but I don't see it in any of the pics. Considering switching as it would be a huge savings compared to Hyatt House just next door.

Not sure about microwave, but speaking of website confusion- I need self-laundry, and though the website says it is an available service, I called the front desk to confirm. I was disappointed to learn that the service was installed, but they do not know when it’ll be operational/accessible to guests.

Yes my room had a microwave on the room. I booked the Premium room category, not sure if it matters.

The pictures on their website looks like the walls are the same tile walls that are in the bathroom... Is this correct? I've never seen a hotel room with tile walls like that.

The pictures on their website looks like the walls are the same tile walls that are in the bathroom... Is this correct? I've never seen a hotel room with tile walls like that.

yeah the room photos really bum me out…

I stayed here for one night for about $105 after taxes on cheaptickets.com using promo code APP16 for an extra 16% off.

I checked in late and was helped immediately and put into a nice room on the top floor. The hotel was quiet and had a lot of California beaxh themes. Nothing that the Red Lion reminded me of at all.

Got into my room and love how clean it smelled and how fresh things looked. My room overlooked the pool but had no time to check it out personally.
Bathroom had a large lighted mirror and good amount of towels.

The carpet felt new and nice , though I prefer hardwood floors now still no issues.
The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in Anaheim and could literally just spend all day there. It really helped me sleep and was too soft even for me. I can't speak much for amenities but really loved my stay there the one night I had.

Attachments

• 20210519_212617.jpg
    20210519_212617.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210519_213433.jpg
    20210519_213433.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 89
  • fotor_1623902397763.jpg
    fotor_1623902397763.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 90
Hello Mickeyboof,
I read the Hotel Lulu's Yelp reviews and from the Yelp reviews of it Hotel Lulu sounds like a good place but I only found one bad review on it but that shouldn't worry you too much but don't be afraid to try it out. Plus if you're a Best Western Rewards member you might get a good deal on your room
Hope you enjoy it
Dodger

Someone posted a vlog, looks promising!

It seems the walls are not tile, but wallpaper? Much better than tile.

I’m going to officially switch over bookings to the Hotel Lulu. Can’t wait, looks clean, cute and charming! The pool seems great too.

We check out today after a 3 night stay. The person who checked me in (Gabby) was super sweet. I arrived at 2pm on Thursday and was able to get into my room, on the 6th floor with a pool view, at that time. The room is nice, the beds are comfy, the TV is large with lots of channels. There were some hairs on the bathroom floor when I got into the room but other than that it seemed clean. The wallpaper does look like tiles but it is indeed wallpaper. The location is convenient. We've popped into walgreens a few times. We haven't used the pool but it looks clean with plenty of loungers and two fire pits.

Last night the alarm went off around 10:15 and we had to go outside, via the stairs. Inconvenient, of course, but the firemen arrived quickly, completed their inspection, and gave the okay for us to go back to our rooms. I'm not sure what happened, but along with the alarm there was a recording telling you to leave immediately and to please use the stairs, not the elevators.

I would definitely stay here again.

We check out today after a 3 night stay. The person who checked me in (Gabby) was super sweet. I arrived at 2pm on Thursday and was able to get into my room, on the 6th floor with a pool view, at that time. The room is nice, the beds are comfy, the TV is large with lots of channels. There were some hairs on the bathroom floor when I got into the room but other than that it seemed clean. The wallpaper does look like tiles but it is indeed wallpaper. The location is convenient. We've popped into walgreens a few times. We haven't used the pool but it looks clean with plenty of loungers and two fire pits.

Last night the alarm went off around 10:15 and we had to go outside, via the stairs. Inconvenient, of course, but the firemen arrived quickly, completed their inspection, and gave the okay for us to go back to our rooms. I'm not sure what happened, but along with the alarm there was a recording telling you to leave immediately and to please use the stairs, not the elevators.

I would definitely stay here again.

The same alarm thing happened to the person in the YouTube vlog! They must have a very sensitive alarm system there.

Sounds great, thank you for the review. I’ll be there mid July! Can’t wait.

I am currently staying at Hotel Lulu and typing this from the lobby while I wait on my daughter to take an online exam in the room. I have not received any upset texts so I am assuming the internet works well in the room. It is fine in the lobby. The lobby is really nice and clean. It looks just like the pictures on the website. They have an area with coffee off the lobby. I'm not sure if it is complimentary or you have to pay for it. There are snacks and a freezer with icecream for purchase off the lobby. The room is cute and very clean. It is small though. It is fine for my daughter and I. If my husband and son were with us I think it would be crowded. I wouldn't stay here with the four of us. The beds are very comfortable. There's a Starbucks and Blaze pizza around the corner and next to a Walgreens. Great location to walk to Disneyland.

Check-in last night was terrible. There was only one employee working and a line back to the door. It took an hour to check in. Not fun after a flight to LAX and shuttle ride. The customer at the front desk was yelling and said his stuff was stolen from his room while he was at the park. He was understandably upset but he was very rude and just kept berating the employee. The employee didn't seem to know how to handle the situation and tied up the line for at least 15 minutes with the yelling. It took the next customer at least another 15 minutes to check in. It only took us 5 mintues so I'm not sure what the problem was. Wish they had the system Hilton does where you can use your cell phone to enter your room and avoid the line. I see three employess up front working right now and check-ins going smoothly so hopefully last night was not the usual with an evening check-in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter