Neverland Club

kelban

Earning My Ears
My children are 5 & 7. DH and I would like one evening out alone or at least dinner. How is the Neverland Club? My DD has a fear of being to far away from me, but with her older brother maybe she will be okay? I plan to go and let them play there one afternoon to check it out. If anyone has any comments or sugeestions please let me know. 8 days left!!!

DS is a kid's club veteran, but he was scared when Dad tried to take him to the Neverland Club. The reason was the receptionist in the foyer, she's an older lady with sort of a cheery/gruff manner, and she just came on too strong.

I got there a few minutes after they did, as I was parking the car (rainstorm). I insisted that he look at the actual playroom before I'd allow him to chicken out of staying. Well, once inside the playroom he totally forgot about being scared. The other "teachers" were less hearty, and they didn't insist on touching him, so he felt totally comfortable.

There is a "skull island" area where there are free Nintendo games to play, the "pirate ship" area that is full of free arcade machines, an arts/crafts area where they can do any arty thing they can imagine, just about, and a small widescreen theatre showing continuous Disney movies. The reception area is a mock-up of the nursery from Peter Pan, you get into the playroom through the nursery window.

When we returned to pick him up it took us 30 minutes to get him to leave; he had to show us every single thing he got to do! Neverland is now his new favorite club; he's already asked to go back on our next trip.

We just returned from DW and our DS (age 5) spent one evening at the Netherland Club. So, here's my impressions. We were not staying at the Poly. The CM at the Poly entrance gate was very nice to us. We were able to park in a parking space that was pretty close to the entrance of the club. We also asked if it would be okay to leave our car there while we took the monorail to the California Grill, where my DH and I were celebrating his birthday. No problem leaving the car here for an extended period of time (turned out to be approx. 3 1/2 hours or so).

My first impression of the club was that it is a bit worn. I'm used to Disney being topnotched so I was a bit surprised. I think the club needs renovated. However, it wasn't unclean - just a bit worn. We spent a bit of time at the club before we left - talking to the staff and taking a peek at the club. The staff was very friendly and were great with the kids. My son was off like a shot as soon as we entered the club. He was excited to be with other children for the evening (he's used to preschool). We talked to one CM from Trinidad that was extremely good at interacting with the children. She was very good at making the children feel comfortable and getting them involved in activities.

They had a kid friendly buffett that the kids could eat while watching a movie. It's a Peter Pan themed area. The night our son was there, they had 25 kids throughout the evening (I don't think they ever had that many at once). In talking with the staff, we found out their capacity is 75 children. WOW! That would be a wild evening.

Our son spent most of the evening playing the free arcade games. Oh, he said he did try out the Playstations and Nintendo room (most current versions) and he played a game with the other kids (stop light). And he did take a break for dessert ;)

It was a good value for us. The charge is $8.00 per hour. Our son had dinner and I'm sure he got his money worth at playing the games.

Would I sign my son up again? Absolutely. To me this was a better value than the Pirates Cruise. My son absolutely loved it. Plus, my DH and I had a nice adult dinner.

I did read somewhere that you can go into the Club during the day time hours and use the facility - if you have time and want to check it out prior to using it.

You can go during the afternoon to check it out. We stayed at the Poly and went there a few times--Belle did crafts while Buzz played video games. There was CM there, it didn't cost anything, but we kept an adult with them the whole time. We didn't use the club for babysitting, and here's why: Buzz is extremely sensitive to overload, doesn't do well with separation, etc. We felt for a Disney trip, familiar was better and hired a Fairy Godmother to babysit in the room. (Belle would have been fine in the club, but...). We were there with my husband's brother, who happens to have a DD 2 months younger than Buzz. They opted for the club. Well, by the time we got back, it was after 11, she was the only child left in there. (This was in Jan.) She wouldn't sleep there and was at that point overtired and upset, screaming, etc. They were told she was fine until the last 15 minutes. The really sad part was, the next morning we had reservations at Cindy's, which she made it to...sort of...and she slept in has stroller through most of MK. A real shame--she was 4, it was supposed to be "her day" (she has older sibs), but she missed most of it. Just some thoughts to keep in mind about going there--the club itself is very fun for kids.

My son went and absolutely loved it. There were quite a few other children there for him to play with. When we went to pick him up, he didn't want to leave.

We've also used the Neverland Club several times. Our DD (then 5) loved it!!! She was actually disappointed when we got back early from dinner.

Anyone ever have older go to the club? My son will be 11 on our next trip. I want to take him to the Neverland Club one night so that I can do Pleasure Island.

DJ, there were older kids there. They were having fun in the skull section with the computer games.

We have always stayed at PO-R. However, thanks to the Neverland Club, we now have to stay at the Poly, according to my 8 yr. old dd!!! She, and a friend, stayed there for about 3-4 hrs. last fall. She says it was her favorite thing at WDW. There was plenty for her to do. And she actually played with others, and not the girlfriend she was traveling with!! She wanted to know why we had to come back so soon. I think you'll like it. And your kids. We even had to sign papers and have the same paper to get our child out!! No paper...no kid.

Neverland Club is the best bargain in WDW... I can't believe it's only $8.00/hour.

We laid some groundwork telling Emily what we were going to do a couple of days in advance. She expressed concern about where she would be going, who would be there, what would they do, etc. We stopped by in the afternoon (or maybe even the day before) and let her sniff around and check it out. We were there maybe 10-15 minutes, there were only a couple of other kids there when we were there, but that was enough to take the edge off her anxiety.

When we dropped her off, it was already familiar. She walked right over to a table of kids doing crafts, the adult supervising invited her to join in, she pulled up a chair, the supervisor got her the stuff she needed to start on whatever they were making, and as far as she was concerned, we didn't exist anymore.

We went to Flying Fish for dinner (recommended!), wandered around the Boardwalk, wandered around Epcot, then headed back to Neverland to pick her up, where we had to sit and wait about twenty more minutes while she completed the paper bag elephant puppet she was making; she refused to leave until it was done. We found out that in the meantime, she had eaten, watched a movie, played some games with other kids, and done a bunch of arts and crafts.

The woman helping her and her friend with their puppets assured me that it's always harder to pick the kids up than to drop them off.

It's a great service, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have used the club on two trips with my twin boys when they were 4 and then 5 years old. I took them there in the afternoon the first time to check out the place and help them become comfortable. They loved it - second trip was a short trip but they insisted they get to go to "their" club while we were at Disney. I liked the security - the beepers - the fact they make sure they have some thing to eat. We saw the same CM's on both trips and they recognized the boys which was nice. It was a definate plus to be able to visit the club during the day to get a feel for it before they were left on their own. I would recommend it - also the age groups were varied when we were there but they all seems to be busy doing projects and games and enjoying themselves. PS The first time we were gone for about 3.5 hours but I did call in after about an hour to just make sure things were going well and the CM was really nice and very helpful. Made me feel I was welcome to check in anytime and I liked that.

Annie's Mom,

The Neverland Club welcomed my two boys when we stayed off-site. They had a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter