Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

I'd be more inclined to take a year off and buy the AKV 50 point contract today for $7,950.

That would get me pretty much a week every year until 2057.

$400 in dues for 7 nights no tax. About $57 a night no tax.

Animal Kingdom

ID: AKB2377
500 | 50 | 50Feb$159$7,950SMALL

You're a little off there. Unless you're banking points 50 points (but then it's double fees for that one stay) you won't get a week in any season. A value room in the cheapest season is still 55 points and those rooms are very hard to get. You need at least a minimum of 76 for a standard so $12,084 + $608 in dues.

Resale DVC is really the only way I can continue to stay in a deluxe. I rented a few years back but prices are going up, looking at David's DVC it's $20 a point now or almost 3x what my dues cost. I think when I rented it was $16.

I just checked for this weekend at the Swan it's $337/night which is an amazing price when you consider a room at the cheapest deluxe (AKL) is $768/night and the Poly is $1042.

So to recap for a 2 night stay this weekend:
1. If you have a DVC contract you're probably paying around ~$150/night give or take (I'm using my BWV stay with the cost of my contract as an example, can be more or can be less)
2. If you rented those same points you'd be paying about $320/night
3. You could book the Swan for $337
4. Or you could pay Disney somewhere between $768-1042/night for AKL or the Poly

So rack rate is about 8x owning DVC or 3x renting points/staying at the Swan. I honestly don't know how you justify paying Disney direct.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I never thought I would not be planning my next trip, but it has been too expensive and complicated for us, both with rising costs/G+/LL and the pandemic.

You're a little off there. Unless you're banking points 50 points (but then it's double fees for that one stay) you won't get a week in any season. A value room in the cheapest season is still 55 points and those rooms are very hard to get. .

I literally picked a contract available today. If it was 55 points (not 50) well yea I would do that.

But since it just happens to be 50, You don't have to bank all 50. You just start off with a 6 night stay (45 points) and bank 5. That gives you 55 the next year to stay 7 nights. Then back to 6-basically the reason I said "about a week every year" for $400 in dues.

Owning there at AK lets you book it at 11 months.

You need at least a minimum of 76 for a standard so $12,084 + $608 in dues.

I would even do that, take 1.5 years off (from $8K trips) and now its still under $100 a night. Although I would still just book the std for 55.

Some BWV resales might still make sense as well with std category available at 11 months.

Resale DVC is really the only way I can continue to stay in a deluxe.

Agreed-hence my advice above.

I just checked for this weekend, a room at the cheapest deluxe (AKL) is $768/night

Makes $57 at AKV sound pretty good, even your $100 example.

Last edited:
If I have to consider price vs logistics, I think the logistics part is the real deal breaker for me. In Disney's current state, even if you spend thousands and thousands on your vacation, you are still subject to glitchy technology, ride unavailability, long lines, daily 7am scrambles and various other frustrations. And don't try to call to solve your problems, you will wait on the phone for 2 hours, on average.
"2 hours on average"? You're quite the optimist, arent you. Lol

Not to mention having to book a year+ in advance. I love all these people saying to go to the national parks instead of Disney. We are finally making it out to ours, Big Bend, again. I had to get on a waiting list more than a year in advance. We were already so far down the list that when the only hotel in the park opened reservations, we couldn’t get a room. Luckily, I suspected this and had booked a cabin outside the park when I got on the other waiting list. Since it’s Spring Break, there will be a slow, long line waiting to enter the park every morning. Since we aren’t staying in the park, we won’t be able to park near certain hiking trails due to crowds. The park is massive, 30 miles from one parking lot to another, so it’s not feasible to walk. The good thing is that it’s so massive that it just absorbs crowds better than Epcot. Thanksgiving and Xmas break are just as bad. The only dead time is summer, when the highs reach over 100F. So I feel where you are coming from and think that many places have just as many issues as Disney,
I so agree with you. It's a pet peeve of mine to to see people saying to go to the national parks instead of Disney and implying that that kind of vacation will be easy with no planning and crowds. There are just more people in the world period and way more people who can afford to travel, meaning so many places have crowd issues. Crowds at popular National Parks appear to me to have increased way more than Disney crowds, and those vacations for me take more planning than a Disney vacation does.

We hit Canyonlands and Arches in Utah in May - were in Moab for five nights (and to have parking spots and no long lines to get it, hit Canyonlands early, did midday breaks after lunch, and hit Arches at 4 p.m. to miss the long lines and be able to park at popular lookouts and trails. We also made sure to go on weekdays not weekends. We saw crazy traffic jams and lines at Arches every morning and heard Arches closed mid morning each day we were there - only opening up later again mid afternoon, so our advance planning and talking to experts on Trip Advisor forums etc. really paid off for us.

We hit Rocky Mountain National Park in September for four nights with our timed entry passes (reserved almost two month in advance) and again made sure to hit the park just on weekdays, not weekends to avoid crowds.

I in now way would try to discourage people from going to National Parks (They are amazing), but I'm just saying going requires lots of planning now to avoid HUGE crowds, lines, no parking spaces and have a better experience. The days of just showing up at a National Park and winging it if it's a popular one at a popular time and having a good experience are gone (And boy do I miss those days). They are just loved too much. Disney visits IMHO have changed much less in the past 10 year than visits to popular National Parks.

Last edited:
Yep, I threw the towel in the ring, i will never go again.
good for me , I win, Disney loose, I am going to take the money Saved
and buy a new Harley, $2 beer, $2 burgers, ride all day no lines.
thank you Disney you loose, Harley and I win,
next Year i save $8000. take your money and your time else where,
I am elated Disney done to me, a brand new Harley all for me.
I would like a Harley. The older I get the more it appeals to me. But it’s a lifestyle, like Disney.
But, I’ll probably go back to being a boat owner :)

I so agree with you. It's a pet peeve of mine to to see people saying to go to the national parks instead of Disney and implying that that kind of vacation will be easy with no planning and crowds. There are just more people in the world period and way more people who can afford to travel, meaning so many places have crowd issues. Crowds at popular National Parks appear to me to have increased way more than Disney crowds, and those vacations for me take more planning than a Disney vacation does.

We hit Canyonlands and Arches in Utah in May - were in Moab for five nights (and to have parking spots and no long lines to get it, hit Canyonlands early, did midday breaks after lunch, and hit Arches at 4 p.m. to miss the long lines and be able to park at popular lookouts and trails. We also made sure to go on weekdays not weekends. We saw crazy traffic jams and lines at Arches every morning and heard Arches closed mid morning each day we were there - only opening up later again mid afternoon, so our advance planning and talking to experts on Trip Advisor forums etc. really paid off for us.

We hit Rocky Mountain National Park in September for four nights with our timed entry passes (reserved almost two month in advance) and again made sure to hit the park just on weekdays, not weekends to avoid crowds.

I in now way would try to discourage people from going to National Parks (They are amazing), but I'm just saying going requires lots of planning now to avoid HUGE crowds, lines, no parking spaces and have a better experience. The days of just showing up at a National Park and winging it if it's a popular one at a popular time and having a good experience are gone (And boy do I miss those days). They are just loved too much. Disney visits IMHO have changed much less in the past 10 year than visits to popular National Parks.
Arches requires reservations now. We have a trip planned to SLC/Moab/Arches this summer

This pains me to write, but we are with you. We are not going in 2022. We have booked a trip to Portugal in May (fingers crossed for calmed down Covid) and will try Universal in November. Our $8000+ trip (for two adults) two months ago was less than magical. We were there the week before Genie launched and crowds and lines were terrible. I am a planner and was a huge FP+ fan and have no desire to get up 7 am to plan each day. with Genie.
I came home so disillusioned with WDW that this is my first return to the DIS. I gave myself a two month "break", after pretty much checking things here daily for the better part of 20+ years.
To end on a positive note...BWI was phenomenal! .and Space 220 was the highlight of the trip.
If you havent been before. You're going to LOVE Portugal!!!!!

After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.
We just recently did the same, canceled our 2022 trip, and we’re planning a similar laid-back vacation.

I really hope someone at Disney management is monitoring on these boards and sees the nine pages of unhappy customers. You can add me. I am exactly the sort of customer that Disney should want. I have three small kids and thought we had LOTS of disney world trips ahead of us. I have a good income and we save most of our discretionary spending for experiences. Since 2016, those experiences have been almost exclusively Disney World. In prior years, it was international travel and cruises (non-Disney). In five years, we've been going to Disney World around 3 times a year, and have been on four disney cruises, often with an added park day or two before or after the cruises. We stay at deluxe resorts, eat at character or signature meals every day, and splurge on extras (e.g., early morning magic when that was a thing, christmas party etc.). DH and I would joke about how frugal I am in every day life but when it comes to my disney trips, I go completely crazy with the spending. The thing is, the trips brought so much happiness to our family, we didn't care about the expense--we were HAPPY to spend it because it was worth it.

For the first time since we started going to Disney we are taking a year off (2022) with no parks. As stated above, it is not about the cost of genie/ILL to us, we'd happily pay that for something like the old experience. It just feels like death by a thousand cuts at this point. All the little things that used to make the trips feel like an indulgence have been replaced with things that require more work for us (luggage delivery from MCO to the room, fastpasses booked and ready for us on days we wanted to sleep in, changing park plans or hopping whenever we wanted to, buffets with lots for us to choose from instead of limited prix-fixe or family style meals that I have to research carefully to avoid going somewhere my picky eaters can't eat).

With capacity filled for the next weeks and bookings beyond belief for the next year or so, I doubt they care and they definitely don’t monitor these sites. Now, a year from now, maybe they’ll notice that visitors have dropped off (if they do)>

With capacity filled for the next weeks and bookings beyond belief for the next year or so, I doubt they care and they definitely don’t monitor these sites. Now, a year from now, maybe they’ll notice that visitors have dropped off (if they do)>
No, Disney like any company doesn’t just look at spending right now. Most people who are at the parks today booked months ago, and nearly all of them have not yet experienced the latest changes. Disney will look at those guests’ customer satisfaction surveys and whether people who visit now and have booked regular trips are booking those trips again next time. They track guest behavior and they know when guests are not booking as often as they might… that’s how they know when to send one of those special offer emails.

No, Disney like any company doesn’t just look at spending right now. Most people who are at the parks today booked months ago, and nearly all of them have not yet experienced the latest changes. Disney will look at those guests’ customer satisfaction surveys and whether people who visit now and have booked regular trips are booking those trips again next time. They track guest behavior and they know when guests are not booking as often as they might… that’s how they know when to send one of those special offer emails.
Unless they are targeting different potential customers.

They know that if the guests in the parks are happy they are likely to come back and be ambassadors. What’s the demographic they want?

I doubt it’s the disgruntled DIS AP set who are sending vitriolic emails aboit the low stock of limited edition popcorn buckets and how they deserve to have FP+ back because they knew how to game it

I am logged onto MDX right now. I put in a vacation arriving on 12-20, check out 12-26. Room only. This is what is available to book for the whole week of Christmas. Having gone 3 Christmas's I know how limited rooms become if there are any at all.

Port Orleans - Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Art of Animation
Port Orleans - French Quarter
Campsites at Wilderness Lodge
Contemporary Resort
Yacht Club
Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian
The Cabins at Wilderness Lodge
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn
Polynesian VillageResort
Riviera Resort
Bay Lake Towers
Bolder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge

I do believe a lot of people have cancelled their trips. There is a lot more availibility now than there was a few weeks ago. Maybe people are starting to vote with their wallets. Only time will tell.

I am logged onto MDX right now. I put in a vacation arriving on 12-20, check out 12-26. Room only. This is what is available to book for the whole week of Christmas. Having gone 3 Christmas's I know how limited rooms become if there are any at all.

Port Orleans - Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Art of Animation
Contemporary Resort
Yacht Club
Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn
Polynesian VillageResort
Riviera Resort
Bay Lake Towers

I do believe a lot of people have cancelled their trips. There is a lot more availibility now than there was a few weeks ago. Maybe people are starting to vote with their wallets. Only time will tell.
But you couldn’t buy a park ticket.

Port Orleans - Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Art of Animation
Contemporary Resort
Yacht Club
Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn
Polynesian VillageResort
Riviera Resort
Bay Lake Towers

Also, i see no availability those dates. Weird

eta: user error. Now I see it. Riveria, boulder ridge and blt. $1000 night average. Nothing else

eta again: i change from 2 adults to 1 and everything opens up.

After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.
Have you ever tried a Disney cruise? A lot of DCL cruisers have also sworn off the parks.

Also, i see no availability those dates. Weird

eta: user error. Now I see it. Riveria, boulder ridge and blt. $1000 night average. Nothing else

eta again: i change from 2 adults to 1 and everything opens up.
My search was 2 adults, 2 children age 10 and 8. I just checked again via mobile and same things still showing except Bay Lake but it shows on my computer.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.PNG
    IMG_2558.PNG
    153.7 KB · Views: 3
But you couldn’t buy a park ticket.
My AP is still good till Feb 1st. But we are already booked. 1 night at Poly, 3 nights at Legoland (for my 8 yo) and 6 nights at Universal. I was just showing how things have opened up that were booked solid a week ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter