Never camped in a tent before

So.Carolinamickey

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone, I am just looking for advice about our upcoming trip. We have been to Disney 4 times, staying in various resorts or off property. Last time we had a borrowed pop up and stayed at the Fort. This time were taking a chance and bringing our new tent. Well we dont have it yet but I'm buying it this weekend. I would love to hear from others as to what to expect as far as setting up the tent and any other advice you might have. Were staying July 2 - 9. If anyone is going to be there I would love to meet up and say Hi as well. Thanks,

Tent camping is a lot of fun. The key is making it as comfortable as you need. When I tent camp, the tent is just a place to throw things and sleep. So make it what you need to sleep. Comfortable blow up air mattress- big thick ones. Take you favorite sheets and pillows.

As for setting up. Practice, practice, practice- before you come to the Fort. Since you don't have the tent yet, some are easier to set up than others. I'd check them out. Also, cabin styles give you more head room. Standing up and walking around is a plus.

My only concern would be doing it in July... in Florida. From your DIS name, I bet you live in SC, so heat won't be new to you. I, personally, have a hard time getting to sleep if it's hot and sticky. You know how you do with it. I've been to the Fort in June, July and August... I don't mind the heat during the day, but I have a 5th wheel with A/C for night.

There have been some recent topics about A/C in a tent. I've seen it before. Looks funny, but after the sun goes down, I bet it's effective. If I was tenting in July, I'd seriously look into the A/C option.

We are going down a month before you or we'd come look for you. Have a great time at the Fort.

j

Make supply lists. (Bedding, lighting, food, pool items, toiletry bags, etc.)

Plan for the weather: heavy rain and extreme heat. (We ususally bring several electric fans which do the trick for us. They also help with the humidity).

Choose the largest tent you can; it will make a big difference in your comfort level. (Don't be afraid to ask for help when you set up).

Make sure you have extension cords that reach to your tent and screen room.

White Christmas string lights work well inside and outside of the tent.

Have fun.

Recently I read take the number of people the package says a tent will hold and divide it in half to get the number who will fit comfortably (ie more than 3 inches between bodies). We are buying a new tent for our twins to sleep in and I'm getting a 4 person. Also, plan that it's going to rain, hard and every day and you'll be prepared even if it doesn't. Tarps, something to mop up water, etc. To me rain is the worst part of tent camping. And I agree to practice setting up the tents and making sure you have everything you'll need.

Thanks, everyone. Being from South Carolina, heat and humidity isn't new to me, but I already plan on bringing an A/C with us. The tip on the number of people is a great one. There's going to be four of us and the tent I've been looking at is supposed to be a 9 person tent so I will probably go with that. Again thanks for all your help.

i would say go big big big. I have three tents for when i tent camp. 1 is just for me when four wheeling and such. it is a small dome tent. works perfect but a small blow up matress in it. when me and the wife camp i have a taller hard poled 4 person tent. big blow up mattress and we put our stuff next to us on milk crates in case it flood. my wife like the head clearance also when getting dressed. so the pole thing is a preference. it gives us the height.

i also have a big three room tent for family trips. it is the dome style with three domes then a small porch. i bought it years ago at a bass pro sale. it works great. you walk in one room by the porch then off to the sides are two rooms with zipper doors. i would suggest something like this if possible. here are the reasons and how we utilize ours. 1 the kids get their own room so if you want them to go to bed first the go in and you zip the door shut and you can hang out for a little bit and when you go in you wont be going into a one room tent waking them up. number two you and your spouse have a private room for whatever you want. getting dressed, or whatever else such as we have a boy and a girl and if one parent wants to sleep in their underwear they can, just an example. also the middle main room works great also. you put milk crates around the edges to put your clothes on. this is incase of flooding. your clothes will be high and dry. as well as any electronics. also you will want some storage area. in mid may starts the rainy season so you will need a place to store stuff like camp chairs and such while it rains for the infamous 1 hour monsoon every afternoon. also if you get caught at the tent for a storm you have lots of wiggle room. i go with this style tent with the family for that reason. also get good blow up mattress. and i also would advise some kind of other tent for eating. an e-z up will do but get one with screen. also if you think you are gonna need it or want it pack it if you have the room. thats all i got for now

A few notes from my first time camping as an adult:

-The ground is HARD packed. Get the heavy duty stakes, and make sure you have a proper mallet etc to put them in and remove them when done.

-over night it gets "Dewey" so if you leave anything outside, it will be damp in the AM

-a broom is a MUST to keep the floor clean! the substrate on the sites is a sand/shell mixture... and is easily tracked.

Other than that, IMHO its better to be over packed then under-prepared.

Its nice to have somewhere to sit down inside the tent as opposed to trying to sit on the side of the air mattress. The heat, rain will drive you in at times so remember to be comfortable inside too. Putting on shoes, sitting and having coffee or drinks..watching tv if u bring one, somewhere to put your knicknacks and incidentals that we take for granted at home. You can get a sore back pretty quickly squatting and hitting that air mattress after a while.

If you are considering doing this often, buy a good tent. If you are thinking about heating & air conditioning it, consider a tunnel type tent, because many of them are of the 4 season variety, that is, they don't have the large screen area on the roof, that lets out or in heat/cold. They do cost at least twice and up to 4 times what a regular family tent goes for.

Also, you may consider this, especially for July, for what ever tent you get.
http://acboot.com/index.html

from our years of tent camping, if you have room inside tent for nonarmedfolding chair do it. gives place to sit other than floor.helps with dressing. our daughter and her family had a tent on our site last aug. would also get a screen house to set on site beside tent. if not screen house, a smaller tent for storageis a help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter