Never been this unprepared!! Help on Fantasy Cruise

disneymore2

Mouseketeer
I love traveling and my favorite part is the buildup and planning leading up to the vacation. We are 11 days out and as unprepared as ever. This is our first Disney cruise and for some reason just not as into planning (I have lurked some) . For our Disney World vacays- i have 60 day plus FP reserved/ADR, etc. Anyways- i have some general questions- some of which i have done research on some, but wouldn't mind some validation.

1- Character meets- Just get there a few minutes early right (sure we will do, but wont be a focus). Are Star Wars characters or only on SW cruises?

2- Mixology classes- i have heard you can try to get adult dinner reservations once you get on board with moderate success. Is this possible for mixology classes??

3- Dinner - I understand that they will feed your kids first and then take them to kids area. How long do they stay with us? My DD11 enjoys food and will want to order off adult menu with app, entrée, dessert- is that possible or do they push them towards the kids menu?

4- Shows- how early for a decent seat on early show ( we will have late dining)?

5- Pirates and Halloween dress up (note we will be there over Halloween night)- Do adults dress up for dinner or just pre dinner activities?

6- MDR for bfast and lunch.- prefer over buffet at least on handful of days. Can they get you in and out fairly quickly or is it a leisurely experience. Is there usually a significant wait for a table?

7- Based on our schedule we might arrive a little early from our port time. I don't mind waiting but is there places to sit and maybe walk around (or are u confined to a tight spot)?

8- sodas are free at dinner correct? just had some friends come back and thought they were charged.

9- Bingo- kid friendly? How often daily, sea days only?

10- Halloween event- where is best place to sit and how early to arrive?

11- Adult dining- can you just show up and ask for a table and wait without a Ressie?

Sorry will stop there. THANKS!!

Character meets -- it pays to be there 15 minutes early or so. You're on the Fantasy, which makes this easier. You might have a half hour line on day two and a 5 minute line on day 5 and Stitch chasing you around begging you to pay attention on day 7.

Mixology -- they always reserve a few. I highly recommend the chocolate one.

Dinner -- You can set them up to leave early or have them stay the whole time. Our zero attention span daughter never had a problem lasting the whole time, which surprised us. Both of your visits to Animator's will have some kid of "show" that they'll want to stay for, particularly the second one.

Pirates -- Loads of people dress up -- maybe they have a pirate tee shirt and an eye patch from the dollar store. It doesn't have to be a lot. But way more people do the pirate dress up than we'd expected.

Shows -- OMG show up early. Like a half hour early or more if you want to get a good seat. And you do.

Sodas -- Free including dinner.

Port Arrival Time -- We took a shuttle that didn't let us schedule the time so we were there early. There's a decent place to wait. It gets crowded around 1130 just before boarding starts. We had to sit on the floor for five minutes. We not only lived to tell the tale, but have good memories of it.

Adult Dining -- Palo/Remy you need to reserve in advance, you can do that online when you do your checkin, which I'd guess you've already done?

Just adding since above is spot on.

Bingo is very kid friendly

Halloween event- really nowhere to sit. You can try to watch from the 4th or 5th floor balconies but it is an absolute madhouse and was not enjoyable on the Fantasy (the Magic does a better job). So have low expectations and mentally prepare for the craziness

Halloween Costumes- Adults and kids tend to be dressed up for pre-dinner photos, dinner, and through the night. Didn’t really see anyone in costumes before 5pm

They do pick up kids at 2nd seating for the club, but you can take them up yourself. It takes a few minutes. Tell your servers so they can bring out kids food early. Then tell them when you are running up the kids so they delay bringing out your next course. Then enjoy the rest of dinner.

3- Dinner - My DD11 enjoys food and will want to order off adult menu with app, entrée, dessert- is that possible or do they push them towards the kids menu?
Order what ever you or she would like! Can’t decide order both or all (as in all the desserts). I was nervous to do this on my first cruise, but by my 3rd I realized that it is absolutely fine. My kids love steak so we ordered them the adult steaks, even if the waiter questions it. I just try not to waste food.

MDR for bfast and lunch.- prefer over buffet at least on handful of days. Can they get you in and out fairly quickly or is it a leisurely experience. Is there usually a significant wait for a table?

Not much wait, more of a leisurely experience (vs quick). Not the most exciting menu but good for a break from the buffet.

Don’t worry that you haven’t planned for your trip. I have found that the joy of the cruise is less planning and less decision making. Enjoy!

Enjoy your cruise! Keep in mind that you won’t be able to do everything, but all you need is to do things you enjoy. I find the cruise less stressful than the Disney parks, since you can have fun even with no plans made more than a few minutes in advance. Here are my thoughts on questions not fully answered above (as of when I started typing):

3. Your daughter can order whatever she wants from the menu. She (or you) can even order some adult items and some kids items. The Oceaneer Club/Lab staff will come by the dining room midway through dinner to pick up kids, but if she is not ready to leave, she can go to the Lab later in the meal or after dinner. At age 11, she will also be able to go to the tween area, Edge (for kids 11-14).

4. How early to arrive for shows depends on how picky you are about seats. As in the parks, the theater is designed so every seat has a good view. If you need a group of seats or seats in a particular location, arriving 30 minutes in advance may be prudent. If you have a small group and are willing to sit anywhere, 15 minutes should be sufficient.

6. The main dining rooms are leisurely paced, but if you are in a hurry, you can let your server know. I have never waited more than a few minutes for a table except on embarkation day (and usually not even then).

9. Bingo is kid-friendly, but those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. It is offered on all sea days and most port days.

11. If you don’t book adult dining before your cruise, you can stop by a specified area after you board and check what is available. It is possible you could book later in the cruise by calling or stopping by, but Palo and Remy require advance reservations.

When we were on the fantasy we had late dining and showed up to the show maybe 15 min early and had no trouble finding a decent seat, though we weren’t very picky.

On the fantasy they will pick up at for early seating too. That being said, We never successfully had the children picked up from dinner. There were 12 of us with five kids and they always wanted to stay for dessert, etc. so usually one of the adults walked them up to the club after dinner if they wanted to go.

Also the older kids ordered off of the adult menu whenever they felt like it.

I would add that on the Fantasy (and Dream), there is also a balcony for seating in the Walt Disney Theater. There are some great views from the balcony, but be warned of the columns. If you choose a balcony seat, make sure you can see the entire stage without obstruction from the columns. :)

That being said, we usually sit in the balcony on those ships. You can typically arrive 15-20 minutes before showtime and still find a good seat.

I love traveling and my favorite part is the buildup and planning leading up to the vacation. We are 11 days out and as unprepared as ever. This is our first Disney cruise and for some reason just not as into planning (I have lurked some) . For our Disney World vacays- i have 60 day plus FP reserved/ADR, etc. Anyways- i have some general questions- some of which i have done research on some, but wouldn't mind some validation.

1- Character meets- Just get there a few minutes early right (sure we will do, but wont be a focus). Are Star Wars characters or only on SW cruises?

2- Mixology classes- i have heard you can try to get adult dinner reservations once you get on board with moderate success. Is this possible for mixology classes??

3- Dinner - I understand that they will feed your kids first and then take them to kids area. How long do they stay with us? My DD11 enjoys food and will want to order off adult menu with app, entrée, dessert- is that possible or do they push them towards the kids menu?

4- Shows- how early for a decent seat on early show ( we will have late dining)?

5- Pirates and Halloween dress up (note we will be there over Halloween night)- Do adults dress up for dinner or just pre dinner activities?

6- MDR for bfast and lunch.- prefer over buffet at least on handful of days. Can they get you in and out fairly quickly or is it a leisurely experience. Is there usually a significant wait for a table?

7- Based on our schedule we might arrive a little early from our port time. I don't mind waiting but is there places to sit and maybe walk around (or are u confined to a tight spot)?

8- sodas are free at dinner correct? just had some friends come back and thought they were charged.

11- Adult dining- can you just show up and ask for a table and wait without a Ressie?

A great thing about cruising is the minimal planning involved. To answer your questions:

1. Yes and yes
2. I don't drink so I don't know
3. They will feed them first & take them away if you want them to. It isn't forced. Yes, a child is welcome to eat off the adult menu.
4. 15 minutes
5. Adults who want to dress up for Pirate night tend to dress up for dinner.
6. Not usually a significant wait, but it's still a leisurely experience. Cabanas is best for a quick breakfast or lunch. It csn be taken to your stateroom btw.
7. It's crowded but you are not confined. You can look at a model of the ship & take a pic with Mickey or Minnie. DCL doesn't require you to sit in a certain spot like some other lines do.
8. Soda free at meals and on the pool deck. Upcharge for it at a movie theater, bar or via room service.
9. Bingo is once or twice per day on almost every day of a typical cruise. Very kid-friendly. And not cheap- that's why it's offered so often.
10. I've never sailed a Halloween cruise so I don't know.
11. Typically, no. You can get a ressie onboard, though, pending availability. There is also a dress code.

Last edited:
3- Dinner - My DD11 enjoys food and will want to order off adult menu with app, entrée, dessert- is that possible or do they push them towards the kids menu?
Order what ever you or she would like! Can’t decide order both or all (as in all the desserts). I was nervous to do this on my first cruise, but by my 3rd I realized that it is absolutely fine. My kids love steak so we ordered them the adult steaks, even if the waiter questions it. I just try not to waste food.
My DS8 ordered the steak off the adult menu this summer. It was a better steak and cooked to order instead of the one with the kids menu. Our server told us that the kids menu is intended to come out quickly - which makes sense. But we did not wait long for the other steak and it was much better.
Enjoy your cruise!

MOST Sodas are free at dinner if they are certain ones. I had asked for Coke Zero and was told I would be charged because it only came in a can in the MDR on the Fantasy. Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, Seltzer etc are free. There may be a charge for something more specific.

My friend in April was able to get wine tasting on embarkation day - she went to La Piazza bar and checked and they had an opening. Mixology is pretty popular, you can check at La Piazza if there are openings, or check nightly/early morning with guest services to see if anyone cancelled or if there is a wait list.

Adult Dining - sign up on embarkation day. DH and I have been able to get Palo brunch more than once on embarkation day, you just might not have a choice on the day. We have never done Palo dinner, but I would think you could do that as well at brunch each time our server asks us if we are having dinner there and when we say no offers to get us a reservation. And if for some reason you don't, like a PP mentioned keep checking back with Palo to see if anyone cancels during the cruise.

Have a fabulous trip.

For the 30 min ones listed daily in the navigator, we would sometimes line up 20 min early. if you didn't reserve a time in on line check in for those greets, go to guest services and see if you can get tickets. We saw Marvel on "reg" cruises but never starwars.

Yes, location will be listed in your navigator that you get upon check in at terminal, usually in carousel bar, there will be a list/schedule... snap a pic of teh schedule and/or sign up there. Once you have a pic of the list, as teh week goes on, you can always call down and ask "is there room for 2 in the 4:30 Martini class today" and they can check.

my kids from 8yrs on never ordered from kids menu, never a problem

never a wait for a table, usually if you tell them you are in a hurry they can hurry. My hubby and I would linger and the kids would come late/and of leave the table when done... never a problem

1- Character meets- In my experience (may be different because I've only been on the smaller ships). The times listed in the navigator (or app) are the times the LINE for that character will be open. So if Mickey is listed from 4-4:15, they'll close his line at 4:15, but if you're in line by then, you'll still get to see him.

3- Dinner - Both my son and I have ordered from both menus. I only do early dinner, but I let my 11 year old go to the kids club by himself if he finishes eating and is bored. And I've been doing that since our first cruise when he was 8. I make sure he knows where the kids club is and then go make sure he made it there after I'm finished eating. That may be an option if you miss Dine and Play (or if you're more comfortable running her there, it's not far). Also, we've always had really good luck with table mates of roughly the same age so they can walk there together, or decide to stay and talk in the dining room.

4- Shows- We usually get there when doors open, but shows are one of the most important things for us so we want a good seat (and have our "regular" seats).

5- Pirates and Halloween dress up (note we will be there over Halloween night)- We wore Halloween shirts all day and then changed into costumes later for festivities.

6- MDR for bfast and lunch.- Not a significant wait but it's not a quick in and out. My kid got bored which is why we've only done it once (though I had the best quesadilla I've ever had in my life in the MDR for lunch).

8- sodas are free at dinner correct? Yep

11- Adult dining- I see adult dining it pushed here a lot, but your vacation will be just fine if you don't get your adult dining reservations. I'm sure it's a fun and great extra, but I've managed over 20 days on Disney cruise ships just eating at the MDR and I've been absolutely fine. If it's going to stress you out, seriously forget about it.

Because there has been minimal response to #2: Beverage seminars can normally be booked on board. As soon as you get on the ship, go to guest services and inquire about the classes. Usually there are more options even than listed on the website. I usually do two or three per cruise depending on what is offered. Mixology on the fantasy is great. (Mixology is always great no matter what ship you are on). I wasn't a fan of the wine one they do but that's my own personal opinion. Tequila Margarita is awesome as is Mojito that is offered on the island on Castaway. (If you can get it, its an amazing class)

Arriving early to the port isn't a huge thing. I usually show up early and just check in as you normally would.

Depending on the show, you can show up 10 - 15 minutes early to still get good seats. For the larger production shows (Aladdin or Frozen) I would recommend 30 minutes early as these tend to fill up faster. The only show I've ever been there really really early for was Beauty and the Beast on the Dream (but this is null and void for your cruise)

I love eating in Royal Court for breakfast. Usually there isn't too much of a wait unless you are eating at prime dining time and then its just a few minutes for them to assign you a table. On sea days it will get a bit busier but nothing terrible.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think you'll be on the cruise that I'm going on - Oct 27 HOTHS Fantasy. If so, you should definitely join our facebook group. The admin and people are wonderful and post all kinds of tips. I don't think we're allowed to link things so just search on facebook "Disney Fantasy Oct 27, 2019 HOTHS" and request to be a member.

I think you'll be on the cruise that I'm going on - Oct 27 HOTHS Fantasy. If so, you should definitely join our facebook group. The admin and people are wonderful and post all kinds of tips. I don't think we're allowed to link things so just search on facebook "Disney Fantasy Oct 27, 2019 HOTHS" and request to be a member.
thanks!!! Just signed up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter