Nervous about leaving my scooter

GrandmaLaurie

Earning My Ears
HI! I just bought my own scooter for use in theme parks and day trips. I have a minor disability that makes walking difficult and painful. But, I can get off and walk into attractions with a cane and transfer to Disney ride vehicles.

If I get off to go into attractions, what should I do about my scooter backpack? I know to take my key and plan to do so, but I have a small back pack with extra cash, water, a jacket. And while it's all easy to replace...well, you know.... Are these backpacks generally safe from rifling?

AND...We just bought annual passes but haven't been in years. Are there parking spots for scooters at most attractions?

Frankly I am so excited to go with the freedom of a scooter and I just want some reassurance that I don't have anything to worry about. Tips would be welcome!!! Starting with EPCOT tomorrow!

Is the backpack secured to the scooter? Or can you take it off easily to bring it with you? I would never leave cash behind anywhere. You could take the scooter through the queues, or ask if it can be parked with the strollers (sometimes there is separate scooter parking). Only leave behind items that you can do without.

Enjoy your vacation!

HI! I just bought my own scooter for use in theme parks and day trips. I have a minor disability that makes walking difficult and painful. But, I can get off and walk into attractions with a cane and transfer to Disney ride vehicles.

If I get off to go into attractions, what should I do about my scooter backpack? I know to take my key and plan to do so, but I have a small back pack with extra cash, water, a jacket. And while it's all easy to replace...well, you know.... Are these backpacks generally safe from rifling?

AND...We just bought annual passes but haven't been in years. Are there parking spots for scooters at most attractions?

Frankly I am so excited to go with the freedom of a scooter and I just want some reassurance that I don't have anything to worry about. Tips would be welcome!!! Starting with EPCOT tomorrow!
I would never leave anything behind that you would not like to walk away and never see agin so the backpack I would take. As fair as what to do with your scooter I would ask a CM where to park it if you do not already see a spot where there are scooters parked

Hi, GrandmaLaurie. Congratulations on owning your mobility scooter to use at WDW.

I used to use my own mobility scooter to use at WDW, but now I have a new electric wheelchair.

I agree with everyone else not to leave your wallet or phone with your scooter.

If I get off to go into attractions, what should I do about my scooter backpack? I know to take my key and plan to do so, but I have a small backpack with extra cash, water, a jacket. And while it's all easy to replace...well, you know.... Are these backpacks generally safe from rifling?

I try to take as little as possible on my person when at the parks.

I used to put my mobility scooter key on a stretchy wristband key holder, too. I could always put it around my wrist instead of my pocket.

The only time that I lost things was when I reached in my pocket for something and not realize that something fell out of my pocket in the WDW parks. I used to think that it was stolen by someone, but it was just me not being careful. I really didn't want to lose my mobility scooter key.

I like to use one of those WDW hard plastic card holders that serves as a lanyard. I keep this as my wallet to hold my Driver's License, WDW Annual Pass, VISA credit card, insurance card, and cash, ETC. It's waterproof and I don't have to worry about a wallet falling out of my pocket.

I used to carry my phone in my pocket, but this time, I bought one of those waterproof phone lanyards, so I don't really have to carry anything in my pockets.

Now, I don't carry a backpack, but I used to attach an armrest bag with velcro closer to access things like a cap or poncho or umbrella. I will still use this armrest bag because it is so handy to hold things that I don't want to use at the moment like a cap or poncho or umbrella or cup holder or anything else. I have always felt it was safe to leave the things that I knew that weren't that valuable with my scooter when I had to leave the scooter.

I also used to carry a backpack on my backseat. I tried to make it difficult for any thieves to steal it by running the shoulder straps through the mobility scooter chair metal bars. I would also use a small luggage lock to secure it to the back of the mobility scooters seat through the metal bars by manipulating the should straps and attachments on the backpack. I also would put the same locks on the zippers to keep thieves from trying to open the backpack.

I know that it sounds like a lot, but for the most part, it is just for my reassurance. I realize that any real thief could cut the straps.

But in all of the years that I have been to WDW, I have never had anything happen to my personal items except for when I accidentally lost them when not paying attention to putting something in my pant's pocket or bag and removing the same and having the lost item drop on the park pavement unknowingly. I'm probably the only one that does that.

WDW cast members and security and casts are all so nice.

Just do what you feel comfortable. Try not to take anything that you are worried about being stolen.

There are usually designated spaces for mobility scooters like there are for strollers. Just ask a Disney cast member where to park.

But you can also drive your mobility scooter through most attraction queues. Once you reach a certain spot in the attraction queue, the Disney cast member will guide you where to park your mobility scooter nearby or they will put it in freewheel mode and park it for you without using your key. I just follow their instructions as to what they would like me to do. Every attraction is different like every attraction queue may be different. You'll just learn as you go or read the FAQ here at the top of this forum for help.

I hope that you have a wonderful time.

It's normal to be nervous the first couple times that you try new things.

You are in one the very best places to feel safe and accessible using your mobility scooter.

Always seek out a Disney cast member if you ever have a question.

Try to only carry things that you will actually use to the parks...the necessities... and leave the rest locked in your suitcase.

Last edited:
I leave stuff in the basket of my scooter. But I would never leave cash or anything of real value.

If someone wants to steal my snacks, go for it. My used cheap poncho? No big deal.

But cash? I am not allowing that out from under my control.

one thing I would do would be take my scooter with me in line if any chance of rain as most spots to leave scooter would not be covered where at ride loading it would be under cover. something to think about

one thing I would do would be take my scooter with me in line if any chance of rain as most spots to leave scooter would not be covered where at ride loading it would be under cover. something to think about
I usually keep a cheap dollar store poncho or two in the bottom of scooter basket. If it is rainy (or afternoon in the summer in Florida ), I can use the poncho to cover the folded forward scooter seat and basket.

There are rides that don't allow scooters. Tomorrowland comes to mind.

I usually keep a cheap dollar store poncho or two in the bottom of scooter basket. If it is rainy (or afternoon in the summer in Florida ), I can use the poncho to cover the folded forward scooter seat and basket.
I have seen ponchos blow off in storms and unlike a stroller rain will hurt the scooter not just make it wet more than the seat

I have seen ponchos blow off in storms and unlike a stroller rain will hurt the scooter not just make it wet more than the seat
Not sure what you mean, but if you are referring to the controls, you can cover that part of the tiller with a shower cap.

I’ve had both my Power Chair and ECV out in the rain in the past. I’ve had pretty good luck covering the joystick and tiller with a shower cap while I’m using them, adding the rain poncho when I have to park it outside. But that’s just me, I guess.

Bags and strollers and scooters do get stolen or gone through. And sometimes the going-through is by animals looking for food [they are VERY good at it]. If you decide to leave a bag on the scooter, do not leave anything of value in it, only things you could live without if they got stolen.

I use a small backpack as my park bag. I sit it in the front basket when riding the scooter, and always take it with me if I leave the scooter for any reason, no matter how short. You can take the bag on the ride with you.

SW

Not sure what you mean, but if you are referring to the controls, you can cover that part of the tiller with a shower cap.

I’ve had both my Power Chair and ECV out in the rain in the past. I’ve had pretty good luck covering the joystick and tiller with a shower cap while I’m using them, adding the rain poncho when I have to park it outside. But that’s just me, I guess.
I have seen both blown off with the winds with a storm coming thru and the CMs did not replace them and I would not expect them to do that

I carry a few binder clips or a few velco wrap strips to attach a cheap poncho to DH wheelchair Not foolproof in a major thunderstorm, but works well enough for most situations.

The first time we rented off site, I was afraid it would be stolen and then we'd owe $400 to the rental company. We bought and alarm/finder thing like a TILE tracker. But the one we had only worked for a few hundred feet. Fine , if we lost the item in the house, but not if it was a mile away. We left it home. All was well, but then again, DH was in the chair most of the time.

Only rides I have to leave the power wheelchair uncovered is Pirates of the Caribbean. Their area for wheelchairs is out in the open. They did ask me to switch to a regular wheelchair at Haunted Mansion until I pointed out that my power wheelchair takes no more room than a manual wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter