Needing to go to the bathroom in line

garnwr32229

Mouseketeer
so my parents are going to Disney with us. Our last trip my twins were 3yrs people were really nice if they had to use the restroom in a long line.
My concern this time is my dad. He has to take a water pill which makes him use the restroom often. Like every 45min. How much of a problem will it be if he has to use the restroom in a line? Should we get the disability card for him for when his pill is in full effect. The pill typically lasts about 5-6hrs after he takes it.

Any advice is appreciated

With a good FP+ plan, you won't be waiting in any line for more than 45 minutes. I would FP+ any rides that typically have longer lines and then plan accordingly with bathroom breaks before getting in any line. You can certainly talk to guest services when you get there about DAS, but DAS is only a supplement to FP+ as you can only get one return time at a time.

Last edited:
In addition to long queues, be aware of long rides/attractions (for example CoP is ~20 minutes, if he's in line for 20 minutes already that could be a challenge). And he should have a plan in case he's on a ride and suddenly needs to go, or there is a delay or break-down. I recommend that he use the restroom right before entering any queue, and maybe never pass a restroom without stopping to use it. If you have little kids, that's always a good plan anyway.

Enjoy your vacation!

Good thing is there is a restroom right next to CoP. I would ask about DAS, but not sure they will give it to you. As for people being sympathetic, you will always have some that will not be. I think I would be sympathetic in your father's situation, but does he really want to explain that to people?

My dad is in the same boat. For our trip last year he simply planned his pills around the attractions and rides. He would ask what the plans were for the day, and if we had any ADRs. He knew that if we were eating at X time, then Y time prior would be a good time to take his pill, as he would be near a restroom for a while.

I want to ask, has your dad said it will be a challenge for him? It may be that as used to dealing with the pills as he is, that it won't be that big of a deal. He probably already knows how soon he feels the effect after he takes a pill.

so my parents are going to Disney with us. Our last trip my twins were 3yrs people were really nice if they had to use the restroom in a long line.
My concern this time is my dad. He has to take a water pill which makes him use the restroom often. Like every 45min. How much of a problem will it be if he has to use the restroom in a line? Should we get the disability card for him for when his pill is in full effect. The pill typically lasts about 5-6hrs after he takes it.

This is not a valid reason for a DAS card.

Here is the concern in my opinion, Those queues can be long and curvy. It may not be easy for him to navigate out, let along back in. Personally, I don't have any issues with anyone leaving to use the bathroom, but I do think it can be a difficult task in some of the queues.

Lots of good advice here; mostly stop at every chance .. I did that for years with DS who wasn't able to tell me until the last minute and we can only use the Companion bathrooms, which is an entire issue in itself.

Regarding the DAS, you can ask for sure but it won't help as much as you think, even if they say yes. You get a time to return and yes, you wait outside the line BUT if you are trying to get this for the longer lines, you will only get to use it a few times during the day - therefore another plan is necessary. And each time you have to go to the ride, get the time and then come back later. It does put stress on touring at some parks, especially AK and Epcot. It won't help at all if he leaves a line.

I have found we use it about once per day and mostly use the FP+ app. We make all our FP+ in the morning then we begin to roll the 4th one. The app Wait Times & FP+ helps us avoid any unnecessary walking around or waiting lengths of time. The FP+ system has been way more helpful since it became fully operational on our phones, and reduced our use of the DAS.

Lots of good advice here; mostly stop at every chance .. I did that for years with DS who wasn't able to tell me until the last minute and we can only use the Companion bathrooms, which is an entire issue in itself.

Regarding the DAS, you can ask for sure but it won't help as much as you think, even if they say yes. You get a time to return and yes, you wait outside the line BUT if you are trying to get this for the longer lines, you will only get to use it a few times during the day - therefore another plan is necessary. And each time you have to go to the ride, get the time and then come back later. It does put stress on touring at some parks, especially AK and Epcot. It won't help at all if he leaves a line.

I have found we use it about once per day and mostly use the FP+ app. We make all our FP+ in the morning then we begin to roll the 4th one. The app Wait Times & FP+ helps us avoid any unnecessary walking around or waiting lengths of time. The FP+ system has been way more helpful since it became fully operational on our phones, and reduced our use of the DAS.

Thanks, my first plan was to try and get earlier fast passes and hit shorter lines when we could. But then I think I started over thinking it.

Does your Dad have to take the pill at a certain time? If he took it when he first woke up, hitting the parks earlier the lines won't be as busy. And then as the pill wears off, he'll be able to wait in the longer afternoon/evening crowds.

Thanks, my first plan was to try and get earlier fast passes and hit shorter lines when we could. But then I think I started over thinking it.

It is a catch-22 .... We have done it both ways but found the best way to get as many FP+ as possible is to start them early ... unless you are park hopping somewhere special then I would book FP+ in afternoon and use your morning golden hours for as many short lines as possible at your first park.

I suggest looking at the overall plan and overlap. Say I have 7DMT at 10 am, then we would try to do the shorter lines around it before and after before moving to the next FP+ which might be HM. Then as we leave HM our next might be BTM but we look at the Wait times on the app to see what might be good to do on the way, such as Aladdin, Tiki, Pirates. The minute we scan our 3rd FP+ at BTM then we start refreshing the app to see what we can get next and based on times and where we are grab one. We keep doing that until closing. You can do it in line, at lunch, watching parade .... it allows us to do more without a ton of walking and waiting.

My dad is in the same boat. For our trip last year he simply planned his pills around the attractions and rides. He would ask what the plans were for the day, and if we had any ADRs. He knew that if we were eating at X time, then Y time prior would be a good time to take his pill, as he would be near a restroom for a while.

I want to ask, has your dad said it will be a challenge for him? It may be that as used to dealing with the pills as he is, that it won't be that big of a deal. He probably already knows how soon he feels the effect after he takes a pill.

He mentioned it today as a worry about how and when he should take the water pill. Then jokingly said “I really wish I could go the whole week without taking it”. So I thought I’d come here for advice. Thought maybe someone has been in the same situation.

Does your Dad have to take the pill at a certain time? If he took it when he first woke up, hitting the parks earlier the lines won't be as busy. And then as the pill wears off, he'll be able to wait in the longer afternoon/evening crowds.

He does take it typically in the morning and typically it will wear off by lunch time or a little after. So that was the plan-go early try to catch shorter lines. But he talked talking about it like he was nervous about it so I thought I’d ask for any other plans

In addition to long queues, be aware of long rides/attractions (for example CoP is ~20 minutes, if he's in line for 20 minutes already that could be a challenge). And he should have a plan in case he's on a ride and suddenly needs to go, or there is a delay or break-down. I recommend that he use the restroom right before entering any queue, and maybe never pass a restroom without stopping to use it. If you have little kids, that's always a good plan anyway.

Enjoy your vacation!

No idea what attraction CoP is. But typically in normal life he does stop at all bathrooms. Going out with him is like taking out a newly potty trained toddler (which I might also have with me if my son even decides pooping on the potty is a good idea). But but between the water pill and the prostate cancer he uses the restroom just as much as a toddler and the urge can come out of nowhere.

We might get lucky and beable to plan around this but this was more of a what if type thing.

No idea what attraction CoP is. But typically in normal life he does stop at all bathrooms. Going out with him is like taking out a newly potty trained toddler (which I might also have with me if my son even decides pooping on the potty is a good idea). But but between the water pill and the prostate cancer he uses the restroom just as much as a toddler and the urge can come out of nowhere.

We might get lucky and beable to plan around this but this was more of a what if type thing.

CofP is Carousel of Progress.

Your Dad is not unique. My DSIl knows where every bathroom is in Disney, and I swear he uses them all. We just roll with it! LOL!

Honestly, he needs to take that pill daily, so I would make time to just check out where the restrooms are. We tease Jeff and he is a good sport about it, but he does need to stop often. For your Dad, he might be self conscious about it whereas Jeff really does not care, so I figure forewarned is forearmed, if you will.

Whatever you do, do not get on the monorail without stopping by the restroom first! This is a Disney rule in my family after several highly uncomfortable waits on a stopped monorail.

Enjoy your vacation!

If the wait for CoP is 20 minutes, I don’t think I want to be in the park! Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter