Needing help in dealing with Anxiety issues...

belledreamer

Writer, dreamer, and Honorary Lost Girl
I'm getting desperate... I just don't know what to do...

For the past year and a half, I've been dealing with work-related anxiety. I don't handle change very well and am prone to anxiety attacks.

I actually started a new job in the optical field about three weeks ago and while I've been enjoying it, I know training's almost over and there are going to be some days where I'm going to be running the store by myself for part of the day on occasion...and I'm freaking out. The job, while it's not extremely hard, has a lot to remember about it and many technical things to keep in mind. I've mentioned some about my anxiety issues to my boss who has been very understanding and has assured me that if I have any questions that I can call him at any time, plus he says that it'll take about a year to feel completely comfortable. It'll still be a few weeks before I have a shift with a few hours by myself. But I know that it's coming and right now, I'm just struggling to keep my breathing steady and not burst into tears and go into a full blown panic attack...

I hate being like this because whether I like it or not, I have to work; so at some point, I've got to get myself to calm down and accept that this is coming. And this anxiety has already caused me to have to leave a position at a different job; I don't want to lose another one. Plus, what it comes down to is that while my boss says that I'm right where I'm supposed to be for learning my job and where I am in my training, both my boss and I agree that my biggest problem is my huge lack of confidence in myself and that I'm really not confident in my ability to handle it on my own. But as much as I keep trying to tell myself this and that it's a good job, great hours, awesome boss, etc., my body keeps going 'Danger Will Robinson!' and leaving me a trembling mess...

Has anybody else had work-related anxiety for something like this? Or helpful advice for gaining self-confidence in your abilities? Or have some advice for dealing with anxiety issues in general? I'm planning a trip to the doctor's soon for different health issue; should I mention the anxiety attacks as well? I really don't want to have to get on anxiety medication, but I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of options...

Any help, advice, or support would be GREATLY appreciated.

Congrats on your new job! First take a deep breath and relax. Please mention your anxiety attacks to your doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist and a psychologist. The psychologist can help you with building your self confidence and coping techniques and exercises to use in the panic moments. The psychiatrist can evaluate you and possibly prescribe some anti anxiety medication. Please call them, you don't need to suffer. Also as you spend more and more time on the job you will gain more experience and most likely be more comfortable. Hang in there!!!

Hi!

I'm in the same boat. The first time I noticed this was when I got my first full time job as a Receptionist. The company was strictly over-the-phone clients, but I was freaking out about speaking to anyone. I made myself sick my first day. It got easier over time.

I work in a library now and still feel this at least two or three times a week. When I begin to feel it coming I usually go look at books, breathe and tell myself to relax, or think about happy things and kind of go into myself. :blush:

I see a therapist now and talk about my anxiety issues, and it has definitely helped! :thumbsup2 I have yet to take (though I may...) any anxiety meds for this. My recommendation is try to find a couple "happy places" that you can use before you get to the doctor. Once you get there, ABSOLUTELY talk about your anxiety issue. You will feel a lot better once you actively talk about it and seek help.

:hug: to you. It's a difficult thing to go through, but just remember that you are more than your anxiety, and things will get better.

As I was reading your post, I kept waiting to get to the part where you said that all of your attempts at medication and therapy have not worked to date. But no, you don't seem to have ever tried either.

Frankly, for a person with your history and having had this impact previous employment, I can't believe you are still trying to get through this on your own.

Your anxiety is fairly serious. You should definitely be in CBT with a psychologist and, being totally honest here, I think you should have a minimum of low-dose Xanax or Ativan in your purse so you can get through the "spikes" that happen on the job. Low dose therapy such as this actually works.

You've got two issues going on:
1. Lack of confidence causing a fear of absolute failure which causes panic attacks.
2. Fear of panic attacks.

The low-dose therapy I mentioned above will help with #2. Sometimes if you just do that and get through all the things that cause #1 without having to panic, you can actually get past this without resorting to daily SSRI medications.

When you visit your regular physician, don't be shy. Be very clear exactly how bad this is and for how long you've been sort of hiding it.

For the past year and a half, I've been dealing with work-related anxiety. I don't handle change very well and am prone to anxiety attacks.

I actually started a new job in the optical field about three weeks ago and while I've been enjoying it, I know training's almost over and there are going to be some days where I'm going to be running the store by myself for part of the day on occasion...and I'm freaking out. The job, while it's not extremely hard, has a lot to remember about it and many technical things to keep in mind. I've mentioned some about my anxiety issues to my boss who has been very understanding and has assured me that if I have any questions that I can call him at any time, plus he says that it'll take about a year to feel completely comfortable. It'll still be a few weeks before I have a shift with a few hours by myself. But I know that it's coming and right now, I'm just struggling to keep my breathing steady and not burst into tears and go into a full blown panic attack...

I hate being like this because whether I like it or not, I have to work; so at some point, I've got to get myself to calm down and accept that this is coming. And this anxiety has already caused me to have to leave a position at a different job; I don't want to lose another one. Plus, what it comes down to is that while my boss says that I'm right where I'm supposed to be for learning my job and where I am in my training, both my boss and I agree that my biggest problem is my huge lack of confidence in myself and that I'm really not confident in my ability to handle it on my own. But as much as I keep trying to tell myself this and that it's a good job, great hours, awesome boss, etc., my body keeps going 'Danger Will Robinson!' and leaving me a trembling mess...

Has anybody else had work-related anxiety for something like this? Or helpful advice for gaining self-confidence in your abilities? Or have some advice for dealing with anxiety issues in general? I'm planning a trip to the doctor's soon for different health issue; should I mention the anxiety attacks as well? I really don't want to have to get on anxiety medication, but I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of options...

I have a host of people around me that suffer from anxiety.

Meds can help or not really. It is really hard to say unless you are taking something.

If you do decide to go the med route, I would recommend that your ask your PCP for a psychiatrist to see if you do want to try meds.

Your anxiety issues are beyond what your PCP can help you with. You really need someone who is going to help you with proper meds for your situation.

Counseling is helpful because it can tailor techniques to help you when you are in that mode. I would highly recommend that you at least try that out.

Now, as far as your current situation....

You are only in this job for 3 weeks. So you are experiencing normal anxiety of a new job plus adding on your issues.

Your boss is very understanding which is a great thing. You have a good support system. That is wonderful.

Throwing out a couple of general techniques here.

The serenity prayer is certainly something you can refer to. I say this because it might help you calm down.

You can also do the pro/con list....that is another exercise that can be helpful.

Ex. You write a "con", 'I am going to be alone in the store'. Then you write the "pro", 'Boss has assured me that I can call him with issues".

Basically you write out your anxieties and then you follow up with a positive. It is to get your mind off the negative and onto the positive.

Bottom line with anxiety issues it helps to change your thinking patterns. The goal is to lessen the anxiety before it gets to a point you have an anxiety attack.

Takes time and seeing a counselor is probably the best course for a long term solution.

None of these are "cures". You need to get to a point of managing your anxiety well. It can get better but you have to put the work in.

:grouphug:

Thanks for the responses so far. I do think I'm going to go ahead and mention it to my doctor next time I go.

And as previously pointed out, I've never been on medication or seen a therapist about this. But in all honesty, it's fairly rare for me to have a panic attack that wasn't work-related. The last major one I had that wasn't work-related was around 3 years ago, a couple of months after my grandmother's traumatic death which I just chalked up to grief. I even started (and ended) a new relationship without having any panic issues. So a good 90% of my anxiety issues stem from work. I guess I'm just kind of hoping that the longer I'm at the job, that the anxiety would just even itself out. Usually with a new large adjustment in my life, after the initial panic, I do settle in. Sometimes within a day, sometimes within a few weeks, but my mind does eventually settle. I also do the 4-7-8 breathing exercise when the panic spikes which helps immensely. I just hate the fact that this happens nearly EVERY time there's a massive change in my life... :sad2:

What I've noticed too is that I hadn't had much of an anxiety issue at my current job (and the one I had to turn down) until I was told that there would be times when I would be there by myself. Leaving this job and getting a new one is not an option, nor is asking not to be left alone. My boss has been very accommodating so far; I don't want to ask yet another thing of him...

Is Xanax or Ativan something that my regular doctor could prescribe or is that something that I can only get from a psychologist?

Is Xanax or Ativan something that my regular doctor could prescribe or is that something that I can only get from a psychologist?

Your regular doctor can prescribe it but many of them are afraid to, unless they have a very good, long term relationship with you. The benzodiazapines can be very addicting and, in the hands of a person with addiction issues, not a good thing. So, GPs are generally kind of freaked out by them.

Psychiatrists have a MUCH more rational approach to them and recognize their value in anxiety. If you talk with any psychiatrist, they will tell you that the benzodiazapines are the premiere medication for treating anxiety. You just have to be on a "plan" with them to monitor how much you are taking and, once your issues are resolved with CBT, how to stop taking them.

For situational use, they are not addictive at all and work great where you know you are going to be in a situation that provokes panic such as flying, or for you, being in the office alone. You would want to try them first at home to see how you react to a low dose.

I am VERY sensitive to medications and I can do fine on 25 mg. At 50 mg, I'm still okay but start to feel a bit loopy. But that does helps fine in a full panic attack. 25 mg (or even half of that) is good for prevention.

A psychologist cannot prescribe medication.

I had anxiety in the work place. I ended up going to a therapist and using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it worked. In a nutshell it was like "residing my brain" and learning to recognize my irrational responses and identifying rational responses. It was a lot of homework on the beginning because I had a lot of irrational responses. Over time, I would stop unused from the irrational responses without even thinking about it, process, and then jump to a rational response. And then one day, I just automatically went of rational responses only. (Keeping in mind that a rational response could still be getting upset with a situation--but it made sense to the situation and my reaction remained professional.)

The process to about 3 months. I already had anxiety as part of me, but when it got into the workplace, it had to be addressed. I was not severe enough to require medication since the CBT was effective.

I would take this seriously and deal with it before you experience negative ramifications at work.

Be careful when it comes to benzos (a type of tranquilliser) such as Vallium and Lorazepam - they are highly addictive and many doctors now refuse to prescribe them anymore.

I have a host of people around me that suffer from anxiety.

Meds can help or not really. It is really hard to say unless you are taking something.

If you do decide to go the med route, I would recommend that your ask your PCP for a psychiatrist to see if you do want to try meds.

Your anxiety issues are beyond what your PCP can help you with. You really need someone who is going to help you with proper meds for your situation.

Counseling is helpful because it can tailor techniques to help you when you are in that mode. I would highly recommend that you at least try that out.

Now, as far as your current situation....

You are only in this job for 3 weeks. So you are experiencing normal anxiety of a new job plus adding on your issues.

Your boss is very understanding which is a great thing. You have a good support system. That is wonderful.

Throwing out a couple of general techniques here.

The serenity prayer is certainly something you can refer to. I say this because it might help you calm down.

You can also do the pro/con list....that is another exercise that can be helpful.

Ex. You write a "con", 'I am going to be alone in the store'. Then you write the "pro", 'Boss has assured me that I can call him with issues".

Basically you write out your anxieties and then you follow up with a positive. It is to get your mind off the negative and onto the positive.

Bottom line with anxiety issues it helps to change your thinking patterns. The goal is to lessen the anxiety before it gets to a point you have an anxiety attack.

Takes time and seeing a counselor is probably the best course for a long term solution.

None of these are "cures". You need to get to a point of managing your anxiety well. It can get better but you have to put the work in.

:grouphug:

I agree with everything you said. OP, I also have anxiety. I once held a job at UPS. I loved the job but I was terrified of making a mistake and sending out someone's package to Timbuktu. I would go into a panicky sweat the nights that I had to close up, just worrying about getting all the end of day money count and getting everything locked up properly. Eventually that job ended. I moved on to another job where I have great flexibility.

I would suggest therapy and medication, also. Since beginning therapy and meds, plus changing jobs, my anxiety is much better now. I still have anxiety at certain times, but it's entirely situational. Like, when I go to the dentist I have to take a Xanax, or I'll start throwing up in the parking lot. But taking my daily meds has gone a long way in helping me manage the day-to-day garden variety anxiety.

I actually went through a very similar situation several years ago.

I got a new job at a health insurance company in their call center. The training portion was 10 weeks long. The first part was classroom style, which was fine. Then once we transititioned over to the pretend-call center and started taking real calls (with the supervisor walking around to help) my anxiety exploded. I've never gone through something like that before.

The panic attacks became a daily occurrence. I saw my primary care doc who gave me Xanax, which helped a little. It did NOT help the underlying cause of the panic attacks, but it did put me into sort of a zombie/trance state of mind where at least i could mellow out.

I was constantly nauseous, upset stomach, lost weight, couldn't keep food down. Shaking all the time. Just completely miserable. I was scared to death to go to work each day because I was afraid of the issues that people would call with. I was afraid I wouldn't know how to handle the call by myself. It was such a strong, overwhelming fear that I've never felt before.

The training portion ended and then we were sent out into the real call center. I cried daily (both at home and in the bathroom at work). I just couldn't keep it together. My doc put me on Zoloft which gradually started to help.

Finally, I realized what I think the root cause was: I was NOT on the career path that I was meant to be on. I had a college degree that I hadn't been able to find a job in that field when I first got out of college, which is why I was working in customer service. I decided to give it one last try to find a job in my chosen field. It was the only thing that gave me hope to ever get out of the hell hole call center.

Lo and behold, I was able to find a new job in my chosen field. I have never been so excited to quit a job before. It was a wonderful day! It just was not a good fit for me. I didn't have the confidence and the call center just didn't fit my work style.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. It was hell to go through that, but that experience finally pushed me to try again for a better job and for that I am thankful

I would also like to add that once you realize you've accomplished little things at work, keep track. (I keep a "Go Me" file on my work computer but that may not exactly work for you). Hopefully the confidence you get from doing little things (baby steps!) will carry over into the bigger things you'll deal with.

Also, can you keep cheater cards? Maybe with index cards with steps on how to do certain things, or "If-then" scenarios (or jot down the highlights from the notes you took in class), you will have concrete instructions in front of you, and you can easily follow the steps, which may help reduce your anxiety and build your confidence at the same time.

You can do this! :cool1:

Please, please make sure you have at least several sessions with a therapist before you even consider an anti-anxiety prescription. Doctors will happily dot off a script for mind-altering meds without giving a second thought about the underlying causes of your anxiety. This is your life and your future so you should really be more concerned about learning what causes these feelings and how you can work through them than any temporary fix.

I second a previous poster....I highly recommend CBT, which is all about learning how to resolve maladaptive behaviors by recognizing and changing the thoughts that precede them. If the idea of therapy makes you uncomfortable, CBT is a very structured, brief, goal-oriented form of therapy, nothing prolonged or psychoanalytic or invasive. I really think it would help you.

As a long time lurker, I registered just so I could message you about this issue. But apparently I can't pm anyone until I have ten posts.

I wonder if I can have all my posts on one thread, I couldn't find enough to say in any others :lmao:

I'm up to five now.

Oops, it says I must have forty seconds between posts. This may take all night

Anxiety and depression usually result from over-thinking things.

As intelligent people we are used to thinking our way out of our problems.

Unfortunately, the reason why anxiety and depression are so difficult to conquer is because you must train your brain to do the opposite of what you would normally do to solve a problem.

You must not think about it. I know, silly, right? It's like saying Elephant Elephant Elephant and then telling you not to think of an Elephant.

I've found the best way to escape the hazards of overthinking is to switch my obsession to things I can control. What I do: congratulate myself on every stupid little thing I do. "Hooray! I got out of bed. Hooray! I went to work! Hooray I turned on my computer." Every. Little. Step. I found when I did that, I wouldn't let negative self-talk interfere. That worked for me, and eventually I stopped being anxious. Also, I chew gum, and I remind myself that I am not a captive when I go into a meeting... I can leave for a moment any time I want.

It was a lot of trial and error for me to get to these things, and I suspect that the right combination of tactics is different for everyone-- so don't be afraid to try new ones, however silly they may sound. Good luck. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter