• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Needing advice on kids and nap vs sit down meal in A/C.

Even going in March, November, or December, DW and I personally enjoy a midday break back at the hotel. DD is almost 4 so not a direct comparison as far as age/stamina, but she has already been 3 times and she has obviously taken naps during our breaks.

Our general style is to get to the parks close to rope drop if not before (we were very good about it as just adults but a toddler means adjusting), going at a comfortable but definitely not lackadaisical pace until lunch, then head back to the resort for a midday break. We would get back to the parks about an hour before most dinner reservations which were at table service restaurants with AC so we had time to do one or two rides, then eat, and then we took the rest of the evening as it came. If we felt particularly tired we would call it a day, if we were energetic we would hang in there until we were done.

Thankfully we have the option of not going in the summer but if we did I would absolutely be advocating for both. FWIW, we are a Texas family and very familiar with heat, which factors into our choices about trying to get out of it. Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip!

My children, they were 8 at the time, did fine open to close with extended hours. The excitement and magic of Disney got to them. The only issue we had was not having reservations in the heat of the day. The lines for fast food were long...... to long..... and we could not find a place to sit in MK. The next time we go I have rented a 1 bedroom at boardwalk so we can walk back and take a break and get some food. My advice to you is to book a 12pm or 1pm sit down lunch at MK and AK if you are going there. For the resorts that are only a sky-liner away take a break for the day and find food closer to your resort.

Our group is taking a trip with kids. Ages will be 7/5.
We will be rope dropping each morning, but only planning on being there late for MK and HS for fireworks/F! respectively.
We will likely be staying down at Caribbean Beach, so for the MK day, it will be a loooong bus ride back to the hotel for a break,
But we will be going end of July. That is the only time he has his kids so the time is not flexible. I would prefer to go in off season, but we are making do.
For kids that age, will they likely need a nap or just a long sit down lunch in the A/C? These kids have never done a theme park before so we don't know what their stamina will be in advance, and MK will be our first park day.
We just don't want to make a reservation and they are done for the day only to go back for fireworks.
We will be doing G+ and trying to stack for the afternoon/evening
We are not planning on having a stroller
These kids are very active in the summer running around on a farm all day in high humidity weather. And if they do nap it is maybe once a month for only an hour or two.
We will be doing rest days between parks
Give me your best thoughts on whether we should plan on a 5+hr break or an A/C lunch.
Also for HS, but that park is not as far, and we will have 2 park days before that to gauge their level and cancel reservations if need be.
I would strongly reccomend getting a stroller and let them snooze in the stroller for a while if they need to.

We go every summer. My children are not 9 and 4. This will be our first year with a single stroller since having both of them. We found that to be a lifesaver in the heat and humidity of summer.

We almost always go back in the middle of the day for a break. We swim, change clothes, get an AC break and reset. For us, that works best. The middle of the day in the summer can be brutal and we almost never deal with meltdowns at the end of the day because we had a refresher in the afternoon.

We went last year when our kids were 6 and 4, and we found that it was best to have an ADR and have that table service meal between 4pm and 6pm. It got all of us out of the heat for a least an hour and rejuvenated us for the rest of the day.

The one day on our trip at Magic Kingdom that we did not have the ADR ended up with tantrums (for the kids and adults) and almost three hours out of the park sitting at Captain Cooks at the Polynesian while the kids napped.

I would agree with others who have said to take the resort break. We ALWAYS take the break! I don't know your other plans, but Disney resorts aren't cheap so you might as well get good use out of them! Pool and relax time is still important to our family daily because of the heat, sun, and miles of walking/standing. (Our kids are now 21 and 18.)
We had a stroller when our kids were the ages of OPs, as well. It was not a "full" stroller, but it was an umbrella-type that was tall enough so adults don't have to bend over to push it. It was very easy to fold up quickly for Disney transportation.
You said your kids have never been, so I would prepare for the "worst" by having the stroller and planning time for daily breaks. I agree - spend the money on the Minnie Van on your MK day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter