• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Needing advice on kids and nap vs sit down meal in A/C.

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
Our group is taking a trip with kids. Ages will be 7/5.
We will be rope dropping each morning, but only planning on being there late for MK and HS for fireworks/F! respectively.
We will likely be staying down at Caribbean Beach, so for the MK day, it will be a loooong bus ride back to the hotel for a break,
But we will be going end of July. That is the only time he has his kids so the time is not flexible. I would prefer to go in off season, but we are making do.
For kids that age, will they likely need a nap or just a long sit down lunch in the A/C? These kids have never done a theme park before so we don't know what their stamina will be in advance, and MK will be our first park day.
We just don't want to make a reservation and they are done for the day only to go back for fireworks.
We will be doing G+ and trying to stack for the afternoon/evening
We are not planning on having a stroller
These kids are very active in the summer running around on a farm all day in high humidity weather. And if they do nap it is maybe once a month for only an hour or two.
We will be doing rest days between parks
Give me your best thoughts on whether we should plan on a 5+hr break or an A/C lunch.
Also for HS, but that park is not as far, and we will have 2 park days before that to gauge their level and cancel reservations if need be.

I'd guess they probably will not nap based on their ages. I would plan on a relaxed air conditioned lunch and air conditioned rest times throughout the day. As in, don't try to go go go, but instead of going all the way back to the hotel, not only could you have a nice lunch, but you could sit and eat ice cream, or let them play in an air conditioned playground (the Dumbo one is great for that) sit in the shade to watch the parade, and find slower things to do throughout the day or let them just browse through a shop. I'm local, and so many times I have heard parents rushing their kids to get to the next thing. And I get it to a degree, the tickets were expensive, you paid for genie, you want to do it all. But the kids are sometimes miserable because they're tired and hot and they just need a chance to sit and watch the ducks. lol

I think the heat and sun would be a big factor. My kids didn’t nap at those ages, but I would probably need one if it’s a high sun/heat day.
I would say to plan on a nice sit down long lunch (maybe Crystal Palace?), and then just play it by ear after that. I know that’s not a done of help, but it’s super subjective depending on so many factors.

Our group is taking a trip with kids. Ages will be 7/5.
We will be rope dropping each morning, but only planning on being there late for MK and HS for fireworks/F! respectively.
We will likely be staying down at Caribbean Beach, so for the MK day, it will be a loooong bus ride back to the hotel for a break,
But we will be going end of July. That is the only time he has his kids so the time is not flexible. I would prefer to go in off season, but we are making do.
For kids that age, will they likely need a nap or just a long sit down lunch in the A/C? These kids have never done a theme park before so we don't know what their stamina will be in advance, and MK will be our first park day.
We just don't want to make a reservation and they are done for the day only to go back for fireworks.
We will be doing G+ and trying to stack for the afternoon/evening
We are not planning on having a stroller
These kids are very active in the summer running around on a farm all day in high humidity weather. And if they do nap it is maybe once a month for only an hour or two.
We will be doing rest days between parks
Give me your best thoughts on whether we should plan on a 5+hr break or an A/C lunch.
Also for HS, but that park is not as far, and we will have 2 park days before that to gauge their level and cancel reservations if need be.

First, almost all dining ADRs only need to be cancelled 2 hours ahead. So you could make an ADR & if you see they are starting to get tired, cancel it a few hours ahead.

Next, Disney has redone their roadways, so the rides are not as long as they used to be. We always stay at YC, so not too far from CBR. The ride really isn’t bad at all, less than 15 minutes. The bigger issue is how long the wait for a bus is sometimes.

If the park opens at 8, on site guests will get in 30 minutes before, so 7:30. You’ll need to be at bus stop well before 7, maybe even 6:30 to make that. The park will be open til 10 or more likely 11. Fireworks at 9:30 or 10. I can’t imagine going that long without a break in the room. Especially for kids who’ve never been in that atmosphere. Do they like to swim? I think a break for swimming & a little rest will help them enjoy the evening & fireworks a lot better. By the time you get back to the resort after fireworks, it might be 11 or later. I’d definitely plan a break & not just a lunch.

I don’t think kids 7/5 would need a nap really since they don’t at home. I would rope drop (when it’s lower crowds and temps) and go back to the resort in the afternoon and swim even for just a couple hours, stack the Genie + selections and go back for supper and finishing out the day. You can honestly get a lot done in those early morning hours. Of you do choose the stay in park lunch option, I would spend the heat of the day on things like philharmagic, COP, and the people mover to stay cool and off your feet for a while.

First, almost all dining ADRs only need to be cancelled 2 hours ahead. So you could make an ADR & if you see they are starting to get tired, cancel it a few hours ahead.

Next, Disney has redone their roadways, so the rides are not as long as they used to be. We always stay at YC, so not too far from CBR. The ride really isn’t bad at all, less than 15 minutes. The bigger issue is how long the wait for a bus is sometimes.

If the park opens at 8, on site guests will get in 30 minutes before, so 7:30. You’ll need to be at bus stop well before 7, maybe even 6:30 to make that. The park will be open til 10 or more likely 11. Fireworks at 9:30 or 10. I can’t imagine going that long without a break in the room. Especially for kids who’ve never been in that atmosphere. Do they like to swim? I think a break for swimming & a little rest will help them enjoy the evening & fireworks a lot better. By the time you get back to the resort after fireworks, it might be 11 or later. I’d definitely plan a break & not just a lunch.
That's great to hear about the 2 hr notice
We were always a West coast family where ADRs had to be cancelled 24hrs in advance if I remember correctly. I'll definitely plan on an afternoon down and return after 5 then. Thanks!

That's great to hear about the 2 hr notice
We were always a West coast family where ADRs had to be cancelled 24hrs in advance if I remember correctly. I'll definitely plan on an afternoon down and return after 5 then. Thanks!

It was 24 hours at WDW too, just went to 2 hours a few months ago. Have a great time!

Nap, no. But my 8 and 4 year old need a midday break just for some downtime if we want to do rope drop and late evening.

I agree to maybe having an ADR or two and then playing it by ear. You don't say how long you will be there for. If you are there for long enough that you will be going to the parks more than one day each, you won't need to rush around trying to get everything in any way. If the kids have never been there, they have no idea what to expect any way and you can't miss what you have never had. If they look or act like they have just had enough, go back to the resort for some pool time. It doesn't have to be any set amount of time, again just play it by ear. My son would sometimes want to spend 2 or 3 hours in the pool, sometimes 1/2 hour or so was enough and when he was younger he liked going back to the room after the pool and watch TV. Great break for Mom too, I was usually the one napping. We still take afternoon breaks and he is an adult with his own kid now. We don't plan what time or for how long, usually we just decide it's too hot or too crowded.

If they are outdoorsy, active kids, I would try ADR’s for the first day or two and then adjust. You can always go back to the room for a break. The kids probably won’t nap, but an hour or 2 of laying around on tablets will refresh them. However once you sit down you might not want to get back up!

My kids at that age would not have napped but for sure would have wanted swim time over a sit down meal and my DH absolutely needed a nap lol! So I’d do a break unless it is a specific dining experience that was high on your list of must- dos.

Agree the above that afternoon breaks for swim are a must, some of my kids' best memories are of the pool especially having lunch poolside for some reason :)

Sometimes when we were getting ready to go back out one or both would nod off for a short time, but we didn't do "nap breaks" at that age. We would also alternate the late nights and early mornings, so they weren't back-to-back. Don't try to do and see everything, prioritize and be ready to pivot to spur of the moment changes, with all the planning it's hard to do!

You could try a 'boring " show like hall of Presidents or america adventure, Kids might nod off, but at least sitting in AC for 20 mins or so.

We like those shows, just thinking about kids point of view.

My younger two kids are 7/5. We’ve found that our best approach is rope drop and either call it a day in the late afternoon or take a mid-afternoon break and head back for the evening. We can’t go open to close even with an ADR break.

I was worried about taking the bus back to the AllStars on our last trip, but it was fine. I’d say it took 30-40 minutes each way, but that was part of the break. I’m so glad we went back to the room.

They don’t normally nap, but still need the break. Every now and then my 5 year old will fall asleep in the stroller for maybe 30-45 minutes.

Also, my kids that age still need the stroller some. They take turns riding, no need for both to have a seat. My oldest was done with a stroller in the parks by 7, but still needed one some at 5.

As others have mentioned, no naps needed in my experience. However, my kids always want pool time and I need down time myself. I would plan on some sort of cool/indoor activity to rest.

I do not thinking rope dropping MK and staying all day until fireworks is going to be happy for anyone. Only you and the family know how everyone handles heat and being on your feet all day. It's way different than kids playing outdoors and running around. The kids can always sit down and grab a drink, take it easy, etc when at home.

I would still rope drop but take an afternoon break and then come back after an early dinner. Just me.

p.s. just thought to add about the stroller - I highly suggest taking an umbrella stroller. My 5 year old definitely used in Disney. Never anywhere else. You will be walking miles in a day. Plus the heat/humidity will suck any energy from them. We gate check our umbrella stroller. It's easy and we don't bring anything fancy. It's just a place to plop someone in if they need a break.

Last edited:
All my kids would fall asleep in the stroller at 5, but we would sometimes spend all day in the parks or stay late for fireworks. I do think a midday ADR or even quick serve at someplace with A/C is a good idea. If the 7 year old is on the smaller side I would rent a double stroller with rain cover. That way the kids do have a place to sit if they get tired or cranky, you have a place to put the rain gear, drinks, snacks, etc. And the kids can sit under a rain cover if it starts to down pour. I do whatever I can to avoid kid meltdowns from exhaustion and being uncomfortable. A stroller is way better than carrying a 40 or 50 lb kid who wants to lay down on the ground.

We take a mid-day break every park day. That is just what works for us and keeps everyone happy-adults included. A break would be super easy on your HS day since you are on the Skyliner. For your MK day if you are concerned about the long bus ride back to the resort you can always use a Minnie Van one or both ways to save some time. In your situation that is what I would probably do.

Reactions: nyy
If you really want to make it all day to fireworks, get a stroller. My kids are very active and we still used a stroller at those ages, at least a single for them to share. Now that we’re past stroller age(kids are 12 and 9), we’ve started doing the midday break. Or staying out until dinner and skipping fireworks.

Some people really hate on the stroller thing and are very against it, but it worked fine for us. We stopped using one when the youngest was 8. It’s not like anyone was using a stroller at home past age 3 or 4, but Disney is a different beast.

My oldest has been at both 5 and 6, and she can't do open to close, and really only made it to close on our last night. I would plan on a break of some sort, whether back at the resort for the pool or something else. We used a double for her last year, but she didn't fit in the double this year so we had to be more mindful, especially towards the latter part of the day.
I would make the effort to do early entry, be as efficient as possible in the morning, and then leave around 11 or so to go back to the hotel. Grab quick service lunch and eat by the pool. Or relax in AC. Then head back out in the mid to late afternoon.
Also I've found that my kids on vacation are not the same kids I live with. At home they're up between 6 and 7 without a problem, on vacation it's a struggle to get them out of bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter