Need to buy a VPN

artinlife

Mouseketeer
I'm taking a road trip to Disney in a month and I want to purchase a VPN. Do any of you travelers out there have any suggestions?

I just started using express VPN. DH had a business trip to china and said it worked great. We can stream netflix without any issues using it.

Why are you using a VPN?

Do not use a free VPN you are just asking for potential issues.
I am taking a five-day road trip w my laptop and my iPhone and want a secure connection. I do not want a 'free' one as nothing is ever 'free' with those kinds of things.

I previously used WiTopia for a number of years but started having quite a lot of issues with services I was using rejecting the connection [not letting me use their service if i was connected via the VPN]. So I sought a new provider.

I researched various paid VPN services through sites like PC World and other reputable reviewer sites to come up with a short list of ones to consider. Make sure you know what features are important to you and that your short list providers have those [e.g. number of devices it can be used on, ability to change "end points" in terms of cities and countries, number of simultaneous devices/connections, types of connections used, OS/device types supported, can you use a router with it, # of endpoint servers, # endpoint countries, unlimited/limited bandwidth, etc etc].

I then used the free trial/money back periods [which last usually 7 to 30 days] that each offer to test them out. This proved useful because the one I was learning towards the most I found would NOT work at all with Amazon Prime for streaming videos, so I had to drop it out of consideration. Test HEAVILY, on all the services you think you will use with it, and using multiple connection points and devices if you can -- basically you want to make sure it will really meet your needs.

Testing narrowed me down basically to two. I chose ExpressVPN and have so far been largely happy with them. I do find sometimes I have to change outbound server as a service I am using may lock me out, but so far disconnecting, changing the outbound server city and reconnecting has worked. YMMV.

SW

Some points to consider:

LTE connections are already encrypted, so consider why you need VPN on top of that [not saying you don't, just make sure you understand why you do].

Using VPN over cellular data will use more data than not using it. You may need a larger data plan than normal.

If you do go the VPN over cellular data route, make sure it is configured so all data MUST go through it or there is no data connection. You don't want the VPN dropping for some reason and you drop back to normal cell data with no VPN and you not realize it. LIkewise if you are using it over wifi.

SW

Security for my devices while on the road. I don't 'think' I need one. I 'know' I need one.

Oh well that was a coherent list of reasons. Short of working in specific corporate or government networks with sensitive data, regular common sense should be enough security for anyone. Your paranoia isn't doing anyone any good.

Matt

For those who don't know what a VPN is nor why one might wish to use one [especially if using public WiFi] this article is a good introduction: https://www.pcmag.com/article/352757/you-need-a-vpn-and-heres-why

The FTC has a nice article about VPN apps, including things to consider when choosing one: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/virtual-private-network-vpn-apps

And an FTC blog article about choosing a VPN app: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/02/shopping-vpn-app-read

And an FTC page of Tips for using Public Wi-Fi Networks: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0014-tips-using-public-wi-fi-networks which includes the following tip among several others:

" If you regularly access online accounts through Wi-Fi hotspots, use a virtual private network (VPN). VPNs encrypt traffic between your computer and the internet, even on unsecured networks. You can get a personal VPN account from a VPN service provider. In addition, some organizations create VPNs to provide secure, remote access for their employees. What’s more, VPN options are available for mobile devices; they can encrypt information you send through mobile apps. "

I've used both NordVPN and Windscribe VPN. They both seem to do well. I would get Windscribe because it's cheaper, especially if you buy the 2-year plan, or lifetime plan that they have once in a blue moon, through Stacksocial.
Sometimes, there is a Groupon deal (though not at this moment) for Stacksocial, which makes it even cheaper.

Oh well that was a coherent list of reasons. Short of working in specific corporate or government networks with sensitive data, regular common sense should be enough security for anyone. Your paranoia isn't doing anyone any good.

Matt
No. This is just me. on the road. No corporate or government job. No real paranoia to speak of. Mostly, I just want to do some online banking and move my money around, and a little bit of business with my art.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter