Need tips for first trip with a one year old

Tigger7570

Happiness is OKW
We will be going in April and our newest granddaughter will be coming with us along with her parents. Since this is the first time we will be taking a one year old, need any advice and tips that we can get. We are DVC owners so we know the parks inside and out because of so many trips and we will be staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom so it's mainly park tips that we need in regard to a 1 year old. We've taken our other granddaughter since she was 5, but this is a first with a carriage, etc. Any help, tips, etc. would be great. Thanks so much.

we took my daughter when she was 11 mths and it was great.

we had her reclining stroller which she stayed in most of the time. when she looked sleepy we just reclined her back and she slept for a couple of hours! (more than she ever did at home!)

the hardest part was the evening since staying up much past her bedtime (8pm) would surely meet with crankiness. so the important part was to keep as much of her routine as poss.

she definitely loved the character meals so i would recommend those. also, the parks are so kid friendly we were able to do and see just about everything. when needed, my husband and i did the stroller swap and still got to go on rides she couldn't.

i think you'll have a great time. have fun.

We took DD on her first trip when she was 14 months - the trip was awesome! My biggest tip, is to make sure the stroller you bring reclines! That way DD could sleep whenever she felt the need. Often she took a 20 minute snooze in the mornings while we were in the park and it was so nice that she was comfortable. In the afternoons we went back to the hotel for a nap and swim.

Have fun!
Gi

Keep her well hydrated and bring a lot of snacks that she can munch on. Babies that are tired and/or hungry can bring the days plans to a screeching halt!! Bring bubbles or buy one of the light spinning toy things to keep her occupied waiting in line or waiting for a parade. I'm assuming you'll be using the pack-n-play for her to sleep in at OKW. I bring my own sheet from home for it, I just feel it makes it a little more familiar. Bring disposable bibs, they are a help, maybe even those disposable table toppers that you can use at a restaurant so she's not picking up any extra germs. Not sure if you're flying but my pediatrician recommends tylenol before you board and of course a bottle/sippy cup/nursing during take-off and landing. Can't really think of anything else right now. Have fun (as daunting as it seems, I think it's great you're bringing her. We've brought all our children to WDW at that age and have always had a wonderful trip--never regretted it!)!!

And don't forget --

all 4 of the big parks have babycare centers and they are Wonderful!

They have special rooms for nursing mothers,CLEAN cushy changing tables (much cleaner than the baby changers in the regular bathrooms - IMHO), high chairs for feeding older babies, and a kitchen w/microwave where you can make food and/or bottles and wash up dishes & whatnot. All FREE OF CHARGE! They also sell various baby items such as diapers,babyfood,etc. in case you find that you have run out or forgotten anything back at the room. We have taken our ds since he was 7mos old and the baby centers were so great - esp. since I was nursing. Even if you bring bottles with you for the baby for during the day, mom needs to feed the baby so as not to become uncomfortable herself.

Other than that, we brought ds on pretty much any of the rides that didn't have a height requirement. He'd either sleep through it or be mesmerized by all the lights & music -- spaceship earth in Epcot is a good one that comes to mind. And take advantage of baby swap when you need to for the bigger rides.

Have a great trip!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter