• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need those RunDisney shoes!!!

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
I am dying to get into running especially to use and abuse my DVC membership and do at least a 5k at WDW. Yes, I'm starting small--I have exercise-induced asthma and have never been able to run much at any given time. However, I feel with training I can work up to at least a 5k, then who knows, maybe a 10k... and I'm just going to stop there as I am getting short of breath thinking about it :)

My other obstacle... (don't you love how I lay out the excuses first?) is that I wear a women's 12, men's 11. I am a woman. It's annoying. My sneakers either don't fit or they look mannish.

I'm desperate for a motivational pair of shoes, and I am totally coveting the RunDisney Designs just released. 890 V4 Cinderella. WHERE can I find these? I won't be in WDW for Marathon weekend--we aren't going till Feb 8-15. Is there a place online? HELP a wannabe runner out!

Good for you! Getting started is the hardest part. You can also get them on ebay, but you'll pay a pretty penny. Or if you know someone going, you could try to have someone get you some.

However, you're far better off heading to your local running store (not a big box, but a store that focuses on running) to be fitted for the type of shoes that will help you prevent injury and feel good while out on the roads. I know that's not as exciting as a pair of Disney shoes, though. :) I really really want some Cinderella shoes, but I know they won't be for running, since that model of shoe doesn't work for me. Maybe they're a reward for you? Like, I ran three times this week, so I'll wear my shoes for the weekend kind of thing?

I was thinking about getting fitted at the place in DTD--has anyone done that?

Alas, no 12s on ebay :(

Good for you! Getting started is the hardest part. You can also get them on ebay, but you'll pay a pretty penny. Or if you know someone going, you could try to have someone get you some. However, you're far better off heading to your local running store (not a big box, but a store that focuses on running) to be fitted for the type of shoes that will help you prevent injury and feel good while out on the roads. I know that's not as exciting as a pair of Disney shoes, though. :) I really really want some Cinderella shoes, but I know they won't be for running, since that model of shoe doesn't work for me. Maybe they're a reward for you? Like, I ran three times this week, so I'll wear my shoes for the weekend kind of thing?
I agree! The worst thing you can do when you start out is buy a pair of shoes because they are pretty. You need to get professionally fitted by a running store and go by fit not by looks! Good for you on taking the first step...getting started!

I got fitted at a Fit to Run in our local mall. (They do have a Fit to Run store at Downtown Disney now.) They had me run on a treadmill and they videotaped it to see how my foot turns when I run. I underpronate, my ankle turns out slightly when I run.
Anyway, they tried several styles of shoes on me and had me walk and jog in them. I liked two pairs a lot, but I was shocked at the prices. I didn't buy any shoes that day. I wrote down the name of the pair that I liked best and I found them later on sale at Sports Authority.
I did feel kind of guilty buying the shoes somewhere else after they went to all of the trouble to help me, but it was a big price difference and I have to save my money to go to Disney World!

I have to agree with the rest of the advice given before me.

I do however, have an idea for you. Why not get started with shoes from your local running store, and since the run Disney shoes are only sold at the expos (at least as far as I've been able to tell) use them as "bait" if you will for doing a run Disney race within the next year? You would have a whole year for Princess and 11 months for WDW Marathon weekend. Less time of course for Tower of Terror or the Disneyland races.

I got fitted at a Fit to Run in our local mall. (They do have a Fit to Run store at Downtown Disney now.) They had me run on a treadmill and they videotaped it to see how my foot turns when I run. I underpronate, my ankle turns out slightly when I run. Anyway, they tried several styles of shoes on me and had me walk and jog in them. I liked two pairs a lot, but I was shocked at the prices. I didn't buy any shoes that day. I wrote down the name of the pair that I liked best and I found them later on sale at Sports Authority. I did feel kind of guilty buying the shoes somewhere else after they went to all of the trouble to help me, but it was a big price difference and I have to save my money to go to Disney World!

Are we talking $90 or like $290?

The New Balance runDisney shoes are selling for $120-$125 +tax at the expo, if you can get an appointment.

It's not unusual for running shoes (not on sale) to cost $85 - $150. I wear New Balance 1260s, and they go for the upper end of that scale. I got fit at a speciality running store, bought the first pair at full price there.

As NB updates the shoes, I then buy the retired models on sale. For example, NB's current model is the 1260v3. I'm still in v1. Depending on when I buy the shoes and what they have in stock, I can generally save anywhere from 35-65%. That might be an option for you, especially with your shoe size not being in high demand. I start shopping with Joe's New Balance store, then explore.

That said, I can't recommend enought that you get fit at a speciality running store and try on different brands and makes of shoes. NB doesn't work for everyone. And I try to get re-fit every couple of years to track any changes, see if other shoes may work even better, etc.

I agree - head to a running store and get fitted. Running shoes cost from the 70's up. For the most part within a shoe manufacturer's line up, there are 2-3 levels of shoe costs. As you work through the fitting you can decide on whether a shoe priced in the 70-90 range works or it a similar shoe in the 120-140 range works better FOR YOU. If the shoe is of similar design (i.e. stability) a higher priced shoe will not necessarily be better for you.

I have used the Fit2Run in DTD. Like most shoe stores, they have a great staff of folks there to help a newer runner. If you find that you are not getting the necessary service or expertise, ask that the person get help. I find that in most running shoe stores if a person is struggling to fit a customer, the manager will usually step in to assist.

Are we talking $90 or like $290?

When I went to Fit to Run, the shoes were about $150, and they had tried out special insoles, because sometimes I have problems with plantar fasciitis, so when I asked the man for the price, it came to over $175.
But I would still recommend going. You might feel the shoes are worth every penny, or the shoes that you need might be less expensive or they could be on sale. Just be prepared to say "let me think about it, first." Don't feel that you have to buy them right away.

They had women 12 for both designs today still (last day of expo). No appointment needed today, they had a list of all sizes available remaining all week. Today was check the list and if they have it, you can get it.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if there were any 7 or 7.5 left in the Cinderella? I'm wondering how hard to get they would be at one of the other events.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if there were any 7 or 7.5 left in the Cinderella? I'm wondering how hard to get they would be at one of the other events.

We got 11's on Saturday and just walked up to the booth. They did a much better job of providing product than Dooney. (FYI I had to buy a larger size than I usually wear)

Thanks for the update - I'm happy to hear that more people will be able to get them, but it makes me wonder why everyone was suggesting it would be near impossible to!

If you go to New Balance, you can try on an earlier version of these models. You won't be able to buy the actual runDisney shoes there, but you could see if they are comfortable on your feet before thinking about buying them.

As lots of others have said, get fitted, and have your stride looked at and let them suggest some shoes for you. Here's my story.. I bought a pair of the 860 sorcerer mickey shoes, and a pair of the goofy 890's because they are cool looking. I USE the 860 model as my main running shoe. I actually ran the whole weekend with my BRAND NEW mickey's ZERO problem at all.. First day in the parks, wore the goofy's and guess what? Small blister on one of my toes...

My point? Wear what your feet like, not what looks cool.

So excited they at least make them in size 12... if I can't snag them this year somehow I will try to get some next year!

I agree with those who say to get fitted for shoes first. You need to know if you need stability shoes or neutral shoes. I wear neutral shoes and knew I couldn't do the rD shoes last year. I am glad they added neutral options this year. I also tried on a similar style before our trip to check fit.

I visited the NB booth close to closing on Friday. There was no line and no hoops to jump through. It took about five minutes to get my size, try them , and pay. I still need to wear them around my house to ensure I like them.

They won't be my main running shoes, but I'm hoping to use them for future Disney races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter