Need suggestions for travelling with two 2 year olds...

iluvtig2

Mouseketeer
How do you keep them content when waiting in line? What about the occasional late night? Dining out? We are all so excited - and we don't even leave til 11/30!!!! But, this is the first trip with the 2 young cousins.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

iluvtig

We are going with our 2 yo DD in Nov. also. We went last year when she was 14 months and she had a blast and so did we. I expect the same this year. We went with friends who had a 2 yo and they also had a magical time.

My best advice: bring your own reclining strollers! Both our DD and their DS took naps in the parks. It was so nice just to recline the seat and let them sleep away. Even though we had planned afternoon breaks, sometimes they needed a little sleep time earlier or later in the parks. (our two often did not nap in the afternoon, but swam and ran around the lobby. Now the adults in our group were more tired and were hoping for a nap, but these two are not the long napping type of kiddies.

Next advice: Go by what the kids can handle. We made frequent stops and made sure both had plenty of time to just play around. Our two were just fine for occasional later nights out and they would go to sleep on the bus ride back to the hotel if needed. Now I know other toddlers could not of handled the late nights, so please be sure to do what your can take.

Also you may find one child does not like a certain type of attraction. We found our DD disliked any type of theatre presentation, even the Muppets. One of us would have to exit the theatre with her. Our friends found their DS did not take to the characters very well.

Generally we found WDW a very easy place to take kids. There is so much going on around them that for a 2 yo it is a feast for the senses. We never had a problem in line b/c there was so much to see and talk about! Oh and at the time you are going, the crowds are light so you will not have to wait too long for anything!

Have fun!!

Wish I were leaving on Nov 30 (my DS's bday!)

Where are you staying?? How long will you be staying???

You should have no problems with crowds and the weather should be mild (sometimes it can get cold, so check the forecast before you go. Definitely bring a reclining stroller (but one that is not too heavy). I know that Graco makes a lightweight stroller that reclines (not all the way) and has a basket underneath and sunshade. Put a brgith colored bandana on your stroller so you can find it easily after the rides. Since little ones are up early, be at the parks before opening. Be aware of where the baby care centers are located in each park . Go slowly , at their pace, and leave for a break before the meltdown starts. We took our DS last Nov and even with shorter hours, we did take breaks and still saw all we wanted. We would go back to our hotel, swim for about 20 minutes and then go up to the room and relax. He would play with his toys from home for a little while, have a snack and really enjoyed this quiet time. He even napped one day.DH and I spent the time resting, writing our trip report and planning our evening .Then we would get dressed and go back to a park for dinner. Be careful with the fireworks. Our DS started screaming when Illuminations started and we had to run out of the park.Since Ecpot was open later we did that park two nights. It is great at night with little ones. They have fountains that light up to music and the TOD parade was amazing. My son LOVED it. Make sure to pack little snacks and drinks for them and buy them each a little stuffed toy to hold on to. If they react well to characters, do a character meal. The Garden Grill at Epcot for dinner was the hightlight of our trip. Ask to sit on the lower level. It is all you can eat and they bring the food to your table. Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale are there.

My friend's DD was lost at WDW when she was two.
We always put a sticker (I just pack a marker and roll of masking tape) on his back with our cell phone number on it, in case he's lost. I put in on each outfit.

It did rain few times on our trip, but not for long- don't forget those ponchos!

November/December is a lovely time to go!

We are staying at Vistana Villages from 11/30 - 12/7. DH, DS, DB, and DS in law with the 2 toddlers are in a 2 bedroom. Grandma & Grandpa are in their own 1 bedroom. The two cousins live several states away from each other and it will be the first time they get to meet. We can't wait. They are just 2 months apart in age.

We plan on taking it slow & easy, though both boys are well traveled and take most things in stride.

Cam loved the 4th of July fireworks at the beach last summer, and hope he'll do ok with them at WDW.

We have reservations at LTT the night that we go to MVMCP for a character meal. Since it is Grandpa's birthday on 12/5, I think we are going to do either Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace in the morning. We plan on Coral Reef for dinner that night.

Thanks for all your tips! Any others are greatly appreciated.

iluvtig

You are already doing my tip - which is to have the adults outnumber all children that are too young to be unsupervised for any time at all. One on one at Disney with toddlers is do-able. Moving to "zone defense" is just asking for trouble.

If the kids are wanderers - put them on "leashes." Ours were fine staying near us after two or three days - but the first day they were straining the ends of their leashes and I would have lost them for sure.

As to late nights - I'd recommend a baby swap. Someone stays back at the hotel with the kids - others go out - swap the next night. Of course, if your kids are night owls - and take long naps, and are cheerful, this might not be necessary.

I've traveled with my best friend - we just did a short trip with just us and her two littlest, almost 4 and 1. We had two strollers - each reclining with a basket and sunshade. Her kiddies are good nappers - no midday room breaks for us!!! They sleep right in the stroller - we did take it easy and operate at their pace, taking lots of breaks in A/C and shade. My girlfriend has also found these AWESOME clip-on fans (at Right-Start, I think) that we had right on the stroller and they helped a BUNCH.

As far as waiting in line and keeping them occupied, we'd make sure we had a snack if the line was very long. Also - we'd sing songs and play little games. Also, we'd talk about the things we'd done and the things we were planning on doing. You know how kids LOVE repetition - they never got tired of hearing/talking about the characters they'd seen and the rides they'd ridden.

Also - both of them especially loved the parades - we made sure to hit every one we could.

Good luck - you are going to have a great time - ESPECIALLY with so many adults. The trip with just the two of us was fun, but tough. Have a good time!!!!! The kiddies will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter