Need Some Insight - FP+ for FOP / 7DMT / SDD / Frozen Epcot

Chicoine

Earning My Ears
I'm staying onsite at AoA from July 6-13. My FP+ window opens next month and I'm researching on what my park touring plan will be so I'm ready to get FP+ at 7am when it opens. However, I keep on thinking that getting a FP+ at a decent time for the extremely popular rides (FOP, 7DMT/SDD/Frozen at Epcot) are very slim...meaning I likely won't get FP's for these rides with a 10-11am window, likely it would be much later in the day/evening (if at all). That means it negatively impacts my ability to get additional FP's once I get thru the 3 allotted per day.

I'm thinking that if I can get a decent hour for these FP's, then great. If not, I'm thinking that I focus on getting FP's for other rides with good return times, and try to Rope Drop the most popular rides each day we visit the park.

Does this make sense? I hear that RD at HS for SDD is just complete insanity, and we are adults/late teenagers, so we just might skip that completely and focus on TSM/RnRC/ToT.

Or should I just take whatever FP's I can get for these most popular rides and try to modify them using the Disney App up to/when in the park.

I've been to WDW 4 times before, but this is my first visit using the FP+ system, as well as the addition of the new rides that are causing everyone to lose their marbles during RD! (FOP, SDD, 7DMT, Frozen).

I'll continue reading up on this, but wanted to ask the question to the experts here at DisBoards.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I wasn't able to pick up Mine Train today when my window opened until 1:50. I'll definitely keep trying to modify as we get closer, but definitely on day of I'll look to move it up. I was 60 days out by the way. There were mornings on the my checkout day, but I really wanna do EMH evening at MK the day before so I left it as is.

I'm staying onsite at AoA from July 6-13. My FP+ window opens next month and I'm researching on what my park touring plan will be so I'm ready to get FP+ at 7am when it opens. However, I keep on thinking that getting a FP+ at a decent time for the extremely popular rides (FOP, 7DMT/SDD/Frozen at Epcot) are very slim...meaning I likely won't get FP's for these rides with a 10-11am window, likely it would be much later in the day/evening (if at all). That means it negatively impacts my ability to get additional FP's once I get thru the 3 allotted per day.

I'm thinking that if I can get a decent hour for these FP's, then great. If not, I'm thinking that I focus on getting FP's for other rides with good return times, and try to Rope Drop the most popular rides each day we visit the park.

Does this make sense? I hear that RD at HS for SDD is just complete insanity, and we are adults/late teenagers, so we just might skip that completely and focus on TSM/RnRC/ToT.

Or should I just take whatever FP's I can get for these most popular rides and try to modify them using the Disney App up to/when in the park.

I've been to WDW 4 times before, but this is my first visit using the FP+ system, as well as the addition of the new rides that are causing everyone to lose their marbles during RD! (FOP, SDD, 7DMT, Frozen).

I'll continue reading up on this, but wanted to ask the question to the experts here at DisBoards.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I think you're worrying too much about the time slots. Even if you don't get 7DMT until 1 you can do your first FP at 10 and your second one at 11 and then do a show or lunch. At HS I wouldn't worry too much about time slots, because once you have used your original 3 your options for a 4th will most likely be limited to mostly the shows which really don't require a FP or Star tours which usually doesn't have a long wait either. No matter what park you're at you will have trouble getting headliners in the early morning slots during the first couple days of your trip.

Personally, I'd rather be guaranteed a time to ride the headliners than worry about getting the earliest time slots. Sometimes getting 4th and 5th FP doesn't work as well as you'd hoped anyway, especially depending on party size.

I wouldn't worry about the times so much. Grab those rides on the days you want at whatever time is available and build your day around it. I never plan my trip depending on 4th or 5th FP because they don't always work out in your favor especially when the parks are really busy. The refresh method DOES work but that too depends on your party size.

Don't panic yet, you have the hard to get FP's figured out. FOP is a total crap shoot. SDMT I have booked at 60 then been able to modify a couple days later. Frozen is usually pretty open at 60 days. SDD has calmed down some since TSL opened. I recently booked at 60 days for a May trip and had full line up of available FP's. The only one that had limited spots early in the trip was FOP. At about 55 days most popular choices are gone.

Log in at 07:00 and start at the end of your trip. pick the ones hardest to get / ones you want the most. This increases your odds of getting what you want (your last day is actually 68 days out, less competition for those days). Once you have the important ones locked down you can start to modify if needed to move them to re arrange your days / plans. OR if you are good with what you grabbed late in the trip, start working backwards to get other ones you are looking for.

WE are AP holders so I can look at 30 days out any time. Right now, at 30 days out, the only thing not available is SDMT, FOP and SDD. Everything else is still available. Most at early afternoon times.

Good luck

You’re there for 8 days, I wouldn’t worry about availability. How many days in are you trying for each of these? Did you plan what day youre visiting each park yet?

FOP and SDD seem to be the hardest to get, and your success pretty heavily depends on how many days past 60 you're booking. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but for example people are finding that they're able to get FOP if it's at least 4 days after your check-in date (this is called 60+4.) But they can't get it for thr day after they check-in (60+1). Since you're there 8 days, if you plan a HS and AK day closer to the end of your trip your chances are pretty good.

We were there in October (a busy Columbus Day week.) It was very important that we try to get FOP, but less important to get SDD.

We went to AK on 60+4 and 60+6 and I was able to get FOP on both of those days. We went to HS the day after check-in (60+1) and I was never able to get SDD. I expected that though, and was okay with giving that up to have the itinerary we wanted and get to ride FOP two different days.

Do you have a person in your travel party or a trusted friend who can log on when your window opens and help you get one or two of these? We always do the divide and conquer method of obtaining fast passes! Anyone with an MDE account that you give your log in info to can help you.

I'm in a similar situation and another posting has the following tracking of availability for most of the big FP+ rides:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835236

I am feeling better about getting fastpasses for many of these rides...

No offense, but do not rely on things like the above linked. Nobody except WDW really knows what FP+ are available. It also changes constantly, so something that has "availability for 2" now literally may not have it 10 minutes from now. This gets increasingly true the closer to the actual date you get.

You may be surprised what you get at 60. FEA and 7DMT have pretty decent availability same day using refresh, especially FEA. SDD and FOP are still quite hard, but you never know.

I'll also add that FEA has no line the first 30-45 minutes the park is open, as well as the last 30 minutes, so that would be an option.

With the exception of Frozen - just don't plan those rides for days 1-3 - plan for them later in your trip - and you might get them. I got a Frozen FP on my first day the day AFTER my window opened in the middle of the afternoon. Now - that was just one - so large parties might be different.

There are a couple threads right now about how folks aren't getting them at +1 or +2.

Kathie

No offense, but do not rely on things like the above linked. Nobody except WDW really knows what FP+ are available. It also changes constantly, so something that has "availability for 2" now literally may not have it 10 minutes from now. This gets increasingly true the closer to the actual date you get.
All this site highlights is that April was a tough time for getting fastpasses. Many people on this site have talked about not getting fastpasses for many of the headliners and it looks like summer will be easier. The best action is to get up early on the first day of availability and be flexible in when you are willing to get a fastpass. I remember when this was first offered, I could pick out in order when I wanted my passes and almost always got what I wanted. Now with even more hotels being able to book at 60 days, it is becoming similar to booking Ohana's where you have to be up early and constantly check to get optimal times.

We are going for 6 days later this month. Was able to get FOP (60+3) and Frozen (60+2) without any problems at 7am. I didn't try for SDMT or SDD so not sure how current attempts for those are going.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I planned my parks accordingly to ensure that I'm at least 60+3 days out for the popular rides. I have HS at 60+3 and 60+5, AK at 60+4 and MK at 60+1 and 60 +6. Based on comments above, I'm planning on making reservations in the following order:

1 - FOP for 60+4 day
2 - SDD for 60+5 day
3 - SDD for 60 + 3 day
4 - 7DMW for 60+6 day

Once I get thru those, I'll then go back to each day and get remaining 2 FP's available.

I think this makes sense.....

There is nothing wrong with looking at the availability on the DIBB website and or discussion forum. It was a HUGE help to me on this past Wednesday when making my FPs for Mine Train. It said only afternoon was available and that is EXACTLY what I got on my 60+3. Apparently they must be doing something right, because I checked for Mine Train on their site nearly every day for the past few weeks till my window open. Because I was lucky to see 30 days out and play with FPs, I did. If it said only FP for two was available on such and such date...I plugged in my son and I to check...it was correct. Now did they have it right every time....absolutely not, but overall....they were more right for me, than wrong.

Some people just need a little reassurance so they have faith in getting what they want when FP day comes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter