Need some assistance :)

clambert1273

Mouseketeer
Ok.... so we live in SoCal and have passes to Disneyland (obviously we frequent quite a bit lol). My 9yo diva princess and myself are Disney fanatics and my husband just comes along to feed our addiction. I have been sitting here this week trying to plan our vacation next August and trying to decide on a few things. I figured I would ask here because most have done all I am asking about.

Here is how my week has gone lol

1. WDW/Cruise split
2. ohhh Aulani
3. maybe just a cruise
4. maybe just WDW

As you can see, I flip flop lol Hubby and I are experienced cruisers but never DCL (no matter how much I begged). My daughter has been on one cruise and loved it and keeps asking to go again (but she also asked for Hawaii and Disney lol) So this morning I was really considering just a cruise because we are at Disneyland so much and my husband hates walking around the parks. When we would be able to go at the end of August, it will be hot and everyone but me would be miserable (I love heat).

Just wanted to get your guys' opinions on the options I have rolling around or maybe something I haven't thought of!

Disney in August is HOT and it will rain for about 30 minutes every afternoon increasing the humidity. Depending on how soon you travel to WDW, much of it may still be underconstruction, Avatar: World of Pandora may or may not be open. Star Wars will be similar to California, and Toy Story expansions are all coming on line and replacing large swaths of 2 parks. Any Caribbean cruises will be hot as you will be sailing closer to the equator and could be paying premium prices for a summer sailing. Since I haven't been to Hawaii, no comment.

If traveling East coast is a rarity, and you want to do a split, do minimum 4 days Disney and a minimum 4 day cruise. You'll get to experience new attractions and then you'll enjoy the luxurious service on the boat. You'll appreciate the sea day to float around the ocean over a 3 day.

With so much construction going on at WDW now, I'd recommend either doing just a cruise or a cruise and just a couple days at the parks. WDW in August is HOT and there's no reason to plan a trip that you know will have everyone miserable in the heat. While the Caribbean cruises will be hot, I don't find cruising in the summer heat to be as miserable as touring the parks. My recommendation is either a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy, or a couple days at WDW followed by a 4 night cruise on the Dream. Or you could do a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Vancouver on the Wonder.

I've been to Hawaii in August and the weather was great, but I'm not a big fan of where Aulani is located. DD has been asking to go to Aulani and I've told her if/when we go back to Hawaii, we might spend a night or two at Aulani but then I want to move on to another location. We spent 4 nights on the North Shore of Oahu and 4 nights in Waikiki. I loved both but also want to spend some time on the other Hawaiian islands.

With so much construction going on at WDW now, I'd recommend either doing just a cruise or a cruise and just a couple days at the parks. WDW in August is HOT and there's no reason to plan a trip that you know will have everyone miserable in the heat. While the Caribbean cruises will be hot, I don't find cruising in the summer heat to be as miserable as touring the parks. My recommendation is either a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy, or a couple days at WDW followed by a 4 night cruise on the Dream. Or you could do a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Vancouver on the Wonder.

I've been to Hawaii in August and the weather was great, but I'm not a big fan of where Aulani is located. DD has been asking to go to Aulani and I've told her if/when we go back to Hawaii, we might spend a night or two at Aulani but then I want to move on to another location. We spent 4 nights on the North Shore of Oahu and 4 nights in Waikiki. I loved both but also want to spend some time on the other Hawaiian islands.

I forgot about the construction or I just don't realize it any more considering most of DLand is under it as well lol I think I am leaning more to the cruise end. We have ALWAYS cruised in August to Caribbean or Bahamas and has not been unbearable hot since my husband can go inside if he chooses. My debate on Hawaii was more for me LOL but in my mind, I only have her "young" a little while longer so there is time later when she is older to go to Hawaii. She loves all things Disney at the moment and it may not last that way so at least I want to capitalize on it while I still can lol

I think she would truly love the cruise (we would do a 7 day min) and would give her the best of both worlds I think. I mean she gets plenty of Disneyland lol East coast isn't so rare as we moved here from VA ;) but it is far more difficult and more expensive to get there from here. Oh my husband would LOVE Alaska but I meant it when I said I love heat... cold doesn't exist my world hence why I live here lol

a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Vancouver on the Wonder
if you go to Alaska... do it the first week of August or EARLIER. August starts the wet season and September is best for storm chasers.

Late July and the first August weekend has a fireworks competition. Exciting to watch... but hotel prices will be higher those weekends too.

I think I see you saying that you are leaning towards a Disney Cruise in the Caribbean in late August.

My family and I did this, along with my sister's family and our mother. We had a great time.

Some thoughts from our experience:
Late August can be thousands less than even a week or two earlier.

Yes, it is HOT, but there are a lot of ways to mitigate that. The ship itself has lots of places/ways to cool down, and if you do go on shore, lots of the excursions revolve around the beach or water. The ship itself (and the cabins) are well air-conditioned, so it isn't a problem when you are inside the ship.

I think you and your daughter will love the Disney touches on the ship, the characters, the shows, the decor. I think your husband will enjoy other aspects of the ship, which aren't so "in your face" Disney, like the bars, the activities, the relaxed atmosphere, compared to the parks, and the variety of complimentary food on the ship, which is much different than at the parks.

Also, the kids clubs are a great opportunity for all of you and much different than most vacations. Your daughter will probably enjoy some of the activities there, and the chance to meet new friends her own age, while it will also give you and your husband some alone time to explore the 18+ areas of the ship. I especially liked the Satellite Falls area on the Fantasy.

Just my opinion, though.

Alaska really isn't that cold in August (I hate cold weather too, but love summer in Alaska), and an Alaskan cruise would get my vote because the Caribbean is so hot/muggy in August, and so is Hawaii. However, since you've lived in Virginia I assume you can deal with the humidity (unless that's why you moved away from the east coast.)

I agree with saving Hawaii til your DD is older, and take her to Kauai and/or Maui.

We go back and forth between DL and WDW each year. Even though you frequent DL a lot, WDW is still a different experience. If you have never done it with your daughter, I would recommend not doing it the first time combined with a cruise. Unless you have like a week and a half vacation time. I feel like the first WDW trip you need around 5 days, to really soak it in. I would only suggest a combo trip if you've been before (and/or know you'll be coming back) and want to visit a couple days before your cruise.

We are DL locals also and did our one and only WDW trip (so far) in August. We spent 11 days there and still didn't feel like we had enough time. It is a lot different than DL. Would it be your first time to WDW? If so, I would not suggest combining it with a cruise. Just concentrate on the parks so you can take your time and enjoy it all. WDW is possible in August but plan to spend mornings and evenings in the parks with swim breaks mid-day. We have also done Caribbean cruises (Fantasy 7-night) in July and did not fine the heat to be a problem at all.

How about WDW in August and then one of the shorter Baja cruises out of San Diego on the Wonder in October? Then if you all like cruising with Disney, you can plan a longer one for next time (I also highly recommend Alaska - we loved it so much we are going back to do it again next August).

We are DL locals also and did our one and only WDW trip (so far) in August. We spent 11 days there and still didn't feel like we had enough time. It is a lot different than DL. Would it be your first time to WDW? If so, I would not suggest combining it with a cruise. Just concentrate on the parks so you can take your time and enjoy it all. WDW is possible in August but plan to spend mornings and evenings in the parks with swim breaks mid-day. We have also done Caribbean cruises (Fantasy 7-night) in July and did not fine the heat to be a problem at all.

How about WDW in August and then one of the shorter Baja cruises out of San Diego on the Wonder in October? Then if you all like cruising with Disney, you can plan a longer one for next time (I also highly recommend Alaska - we loved it so much we are going back to do it again next August).

No this would not be a first WDW trip. We were there in 2015 for 8 days at the Beach Club in Feb/March which was plenty of time in low crowds to do and see everything. We have cruised 9 times on Carnival and 4 of those are Baja cruises so not something we want to do again lol Alaska just is NOT going to happen for me - far too cold for my blood and for most that say it isn't don't really understand that I don't handle temps below 80 very well medically. Being that we have cruised a lot, we won't do less than 7 day cruises. We have already had our feet super wet in the 3 - 4 day Baja cruises and after those we started flying east to the longer cruises. We also can't "vacation" in off months due to schools and my son is a junior in High School so he is beyond the point where I can just pull him out for some time.

I am just mulling over what I think would benefit ALL so I just have to ponder and keep it reasonably priced lol

I vote for DCL cruise and Disney's Vero Beach. That would be nice to be on the coast in August and Vero is a delightful resort. The cruise is just awesome!

I don't think "reasonably priced" and "Disney vacation" (of whatever type) are compatible.

Well I guess that is different for everyone. Most people wouldn't think living in SoCal would be a good option either but I won't give it up for anything :)

I vote for DCL cruise and Disney's Vero Beach. That would be nice to be on the coast in August and Vero is a delightful resort. The cruise is just awesome!

Now THAT is something I didn't consider at all!! Thank you for that suggestion. I will be talking to my travel agent soon so I will be running all these scenario's past her :)

Well I guess that is different for everyone. Most people wouldn't think living in SoCal would be a good option either but I won't give it up for anything :)

Now THAT is something I didn't consider at all!! Thank you for that suggestion. I will be talking to my travel agent soon so I will be running all these scenario's past her :)

Great! Vero recently had a nice shiny refurb too. The staff are delightful and the pool and beach sew great. Sometimes there are turtles.

I have a 9 year old boy. We go to Hawaii often enough, but august in Hawaii is really hot a muggy. While we are sort of used to it, living in the south, our west coast family are miserable in the heat. They end up spending a lot of time inside. I'd say to save Hawaii for Christmas or spring break.

Florida in august is pretty oppressive too. I wouldn't go at that time. But if you do, you'll spend more time in the other parks since you frequent Disneyland. We love animal kingdom, Hollywood studios, and Epcot, although Epcot is unbearably hot in summer since there isn't shade and it's all concrete.

Personally, I'd head to Alaska :)

Been to WDW several times in August and keep saying I will never go back then. Well, we just did WDW in August again this year and while we love WDW, we were miserable with the heat and humidity. We followed it by the 7 Day Fantasy and onboard never really seems to be as hot as the parks. It's hot but you are not stuck outside to enjoy the ship...there are so many things to get you out of the heat if you want. And, usually, when while cruising there is a breeze.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter