• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some advice

SCRAPBOOKQUEEN

Mouseketeer
Hello, I need some advice or suggestions on what best to do. My daughter is getting money for her nursing graduation and she wants to go to Disney World. She's looking at Christmas (THIS YEAR) but I told her that she would get more bang for her buck to not go at Christmas. What are your opinions on this. Just looking at flights, it would cost her about $1000. I'm sure resorts are increased and it will be VERY crowded. I have suggested to go maybe late January or early April. When would be the best time to go? She was even thinking of 7-8 days in the park and then a Carnival Cruise for 5 days after. Is early April a better time? I know there are some veterans out there who could give us some great advice. I'm not even sure she could get dining reservations now for this Christmas. Thanks for any advice.
Scrapbookqueen
Kellie

Hello, I need some advice or suggestions on what best to do. My daughter is getting money for her nursing graduation and she wants to go to Disney World. She's looking at Christmas (THIS YEAR) but I told her that she would get more bang for her buck to not go at Christmas. What are your opinions on this. Just looking at flights, it would cost her about $1000.
1. I'm sure resorts are increased and it will be VERY crowded.
2. I have suggested to go maybe late January or
3. early April.
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not always. Easter (2nd busiest time of year at WDW) is April 12, 2020.

For lower prices and less crowding, January is probably better. We used to visit in mid January.

I always visit in March or April. It's usually a nightmare. Kind of pricey around Easter and just busy because of spring break visitors.

At this point, Christmas is probably a no go. Should have started planning that trip last January.......

Yes resorts cost more at Christmas. Search for Disney rack rates and you will get an idea based on price when is busier than others. I would NOT go early April. Easter is very early this year so early april will be crazy crowded and very expensive. I would do either Jan or Feb in between marathons and school holidays.

We love January. It's cheaper and less crowded than other times (comparatively speaking, I mean, because it's always crowded)

If she wants to wait, I think May is better than March or April. A bit cheaper and less crowded than the spring break season.

You can search for free dining projections but make sure she weighs the risk of waiting and then not getting it AND do the math to make sure it's even a good deal for her. For my group, getting cheaper room and tickets works out to be a better deal than the free dining. We usually travel off-peak seasons and we usually rent dvc points for 2 room villas. Besides that, we don't like the dining plan unless it's free. It's not flexible enough for our tastes.

We love January. It's cheaper and less crowded than other times (comparatively speaking, I mean, because it's always crowded)

If she wants to wait, I think May is better than March or April. A bit cheaper and less crowded than the spring break season.

You can search for free dining projections but make sure she weighs the risk of waiting and then not getting it AND do the math to make sure it's even a good deal for her. For my group, getting cheaper room and tickets works out to be a better deal than the free dining. We usually travel off-peak seasons and we usually rent dvc points for 2 room villas. Besides that, we don't like the dining plan unless it's free. It's not flexible enough for our tastes.
Thank you for your response. I too was thinking early May. It would be a bit warmer. What are "rack rates:" and also as a non-dvc person, could we rent at a resort. If you don't know that;s fine. Its very complicated. Would that be better than staying say at All Star Movies or Pop Century?

I know I am getting old when my first thought is, "invest that money!" I agree with you, OP, but this is probably one of those situations where you give advice once and then let it go. Even if it is crazy busy, she can still have a wonderful time. She'll be at Disney!

I know I am getting old when my first thought is, "invest that money!" I agree with you, OP, but this is probably one of those situations where you give advice once and then let it go. Even if it is crazy busy, she can still have a wonderful time. She'll be at Disney!
No, you are not old and I appreciate that so very much!! She has a Roth started and done the max for two years. I have told her as her Mom, that is just non-negoitiable and she needs to learn to do this and live without that money. But, she has been in school, LPN through highschool, Nursing school now for college and now will go back for her BSN. I think she needs a vacation. So yes, she will be at Disney but I would like for her to get more bang for her buck. It has gotten so complicated and trying to assist on this for her. Thank you so much!!

Thank you for your response. I too was thinking early May. It would be a bit warmer. What are "rack rates:" and also as a non-dvc person, could we rent at a resort. If you don't know that;s fine. Its very complicated. Would that be better than staying say at All Star Movies or Pop Century?

Rack rates are the standard room rates that are released, before any discounts have been applied. You can tell what 'tourist season' it is by looking at the rack rates. https://www.mousesavers.com/2020-disney-world-room-rates-season-dates/

Renting DVC points could be an option, there are a few legit sites that you can go through. However, prices will be more comparable to a moderate resort, so Pop or an All Star would be more cost effective. It is also much more difficult/impossible to get a refund if you need to cancel or change the reservation.

I've been doing a bit of solo traveling to WDW and find Pop or an All Star to be totally fine. I'm barely in the room anyway, lol.

Id avoid Christmas.....all hotels are more expensive and it is really crowded. January is grat just be aware of crowd spikes around MLK weekend and day and also the marathon...

We also like February (avoiding Presidents Day weekend if possible)

I suggest early May (which books up early now) and last week of August when kids are in school. (hot as blazes but not as crowded when I was there).

I've also gone end of January (anniversary) to early Feb and I like getting out of the frozen tundra known as the Midwest but we have had some cool - cold at night weather. I think a person's preference in weather while on vacation should play into time of year choice. Though of course NOTHING in Florida (or anywhere else it now seems) can be guaranteed. We stayed at the Grand Floridian the first week in December years ago to get away from the cold. It was freezing. And I mean freezing. Even colder than the Midwest. The Floridians, tourists and CM's were going nuts.

You can always go to the ticket calendar on the WDW website and see which days are the cheapest, that usually correlates to traffic.

You can always look at crowd calendars.

Typically go during hot times, busy school times (non spring break etc), or non-holiday times. Watch out for race weeks etc.

Someone else already answered the questions, I just wanted to add my own thoughts.

Unless she wants to spend a ton of time in the pool, the weather is great in January. And my kids swim no matter what, but for me, even with the heated water, it's chilly to swim in January!

My point about the DVC wasn't to convince her to look at other room choices, but to do the math on different discount offers. Free Dining is probably a great deal for a lot of people, but for my group, it would actually cost us more. It's definitely a lot to consider, but doing the math is worth it. You can reach out to a travel agent, too, to get some guidance. We don't use an agent because the DVC points is by far the cheapest deal for us, but they have access to good info about the discounts and you don't pay a fee. Good starting point, at least!

Renting DVC points probably isn't a good choice for her if she's going alone or sharing a room with 1 person and trying to keep the budget low. One value room will definite be the least expensive. But if multiple people are going, renting DVC can be cheaper than getting 2 value rooms. It really depends on the resort and the time of year. You can google David's DVC for good info.

To add on to the "best bang for your buck part". Following some simple logic, the DVC point system for a room is based on a point system. I believe there are 5 different point tiers per year.
The lowest dates for DVC points for rooms are all of Sept. and all of Jan. and Dec. 1 - 14, this along with Disney offering free dining in Sept. most likely provides evidence that these are the months they will offer the best deals. Also remember with Disney, you can book any vacation for a fully refundable deposit of $200.00 as long as you cancel at least 31 days prior to the arrival day. You can also change the reservation if you find a better offer throughout the year. Disney is very accommodating that way.

May is in the 3rd tier for points on the DVC dates, so it's not the worst deal, but not the best either most likely.

We go just about every Sept. and we also went in May this year as well. I will have say that I landed a great deal early in the year when WDW announced "Free Dining", not this second one they just announced.

Both months are about the same heat factor, however there are a lot more toddlers and families running around in May. They also have cheerleading events every May so you have to watch out for those as well. Flower and Garden is going on in May and it's beautiful at EPCOT if you are into F&G's like my wife is. Crowds were on the low side of moderate I found, but not nearly as low as Sept. crowds.
Sept. it's still hot, but far less toddlers around. (The heat factor and the first month back in school along with the higher threat of Hurricanes is why crowds are low I'm sure.) They have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween nights at MK in Sept. which are highly recommended. EPCOT has Food and Wine going on and the parks are usually around there lowest crowd levels of the entire year.

I've never been in Jan. or Dec. so I have no information about that time of year, although obviously it's much cooler and Christmas in the parks should be going on.
Maybe someone who has been at that time of year can chime in?

Another bang for your buck that is worth looking into, is Staying at one of the "Disney Springs Hotels". They offer the same 60 day FP window and Extra Magic Hours that staying on property offers and, often times less than the value on site resorts. Of course, you are not eligible for "Free Dining". I'm not sure how all the buses work to the Parks from those hotels however, but you can simply call them and find out. I know Disney Springs buses only travel back to the resorts, but depending on your budget, it may be worth the little extra time spent.

You're right all the way! I have no desire to go to Disney at Christmas -- it's all about the crowds and the upcharges. If she doesn't believe you, have her do some online research.

On a practical note, as "the new kid on the block" would she be able to get time off at Christmas? Nurses with more seniority are probably going to ask for Christmas off -- remind her, too, that she'll probably be paid double (or even triple) for working Christmas. And New Year's. (says the mother of an RN)

If I were in her comfortable shoes and orthopedic socks, I'd MUCH RATHER work Christmas (and look like a team player for my new boss /team), then take off in January ... with half of that extra money in my pocket and the other half invested.

Final thought: Look out for MLK weekend and the Disney Marathon in January. They can drive up the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter