Need ski clothes advice

Helmets are very common now. Just one more reason to maybe wait until you get there to get the goggles - you want them to fit well with the helmet so you don't have a gap.

Add my vote to the Balaclava, but a good neck gaitor is a close second.

but really my biggest piece of advice is LAYERS rather than one big jacket. I ride with a Burton shell (both pants and jacket) over a long sleeve turtleneck and long underwear. If it's REALLY cold (think sub-zero) I'll add a fleece. That keeps me plenty warm and I've been riding on days down to -20F. What you don't want is to over-dress and sweat. That sweat freezes and will sap all of your warmth. Gloves should have removable liners. Mittens are warmer than gloves. Either should have a gauntlet that keeps snow out, unless it's a really warm day, then I'll trade the heavy gloves for something much more lightweight.

We're going to Lake Tahoe to ski right after Christmas. It's been a long time since we skied so I need to get new ski clothes. I have thermals and have picked out a ski jacket, a gaiter, and ski pants. I looked at ski clothes and it's so different from the last time I bought them. I get cold very easily these days. What should I get to wear over my thermal shirt? I would also love a recommendation for goggles that fit comfortably over glasses. I can't safely ski without them.
I was run over by an out of control skier circa 1972 and my ankle has never been the same so hopefully someone can recommend goggles for you so you don't cause an *incident* LOL!

We wore jeans and never saw a helmet in the day but we also piled up in the back of some mom or dad's station wagon. It took the entire way home for the jeans to thaw out. It was the 70's... Memories!

Have a great time!!

Are helmets common now? I didn't know whether to rent them or not. I've already book the ski rentals so I can just call up Northstar to add those to the rental.
Yes, I would say the majority of skiers now wear helmets. Usage has gone up significantly in the last 20 years or so. In some states, they are required for children, and if not, many resorts at least require them for kids in ski school. AFAIK, they aren’t mandatory for adults in most or all US states, but are highly recommended. The resorts all rent them, along with skis, boots and poles. Sometimes the price is included in the package, sometimes it’s an extra charge. As mentioned, I find helmets to be much warmer than any of the hats I used to wear back in the 80’s/90’s.

As far as goggles, I do believe they have ones that are specifically designed to fit over glasses. OTOH, if contact lenses are an option, you’d do better to wear them while skiing. I also have a number of long-time skiing friends who opt for sunglasses instead of goggles, depending on the conditions (sunny day, not too windy or snowy). Again, YMMV. I recommend mittens, and bib pants under your jacket.

We wore jeans and never saw a helmet in the day but we also piled up in the back of some mom or dad's station wagon. It took the entire way home for the jeans to thaw out. It was the 70's... Memories!
We used to spray our jeans with Scotchguard, which actually worked really well to keep them dry.

Last edited:
Yes, I would say the majority of skiers now wear helmets. Usage has gone up significantly in the last 20 years or so. In some states, they are required for children, and if not, many resorts at least require them for kids in ski school. AFAIK, they aren’t mandatory for adults in most or all US states, but are highly recommended. The resorts all rent them, along with skis, boots and poles. Sometimes the price is included in the package, sometimes it’s an extra charge. As mentioned, I find helmets to be much warmer than any of the hats I used to wear back in the 80’s/90’s.

As far as goggles, I do believe they have ones that are specifically designed to fit over glasses. OTOH, if contact lenses are an option, you’d do better to wear them while skiing. I also have a number of long-time skiing friends who opt for sunglasses instead of goggles, depending on the conditions (sunny day, not too windy or snowy). Again, YMMV. I recommend mittens, and bib pants under your jacket.

We used to spray our jeans with Scotchguard, which actually worked really well to keep them dry.
Thanks! Why didn't we think of that??????? :worship:

Are helmets common now? I didn't know whether to rent them or not. I've already book the ski rentals so I can just call up Northstar to add those to the rental.

I'm allergic to wool so I can't wear wool socks. What should I get instead?

All of this info is very helpful and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I've had time to read it thoroughly. I was planning to order the gear online because I wear plus sizes and I haven't had much luck getting this stuff anywhere else. I'll find a ski shop though to get fitted for goggles. I wear transition bifocals plus I have astigmatism so I would be a menace on the slopes without my glasses.:eek:
We’ve had good luck with UnderArmour Coldgear for base layers. And Amazon has some non wool ski socks with decent reviews.

YES to helmets. 😀

My mother is also allergic to wool but can use smartwool. Something about the way they process the smartwool fibers removes the allergen she reacts too. Might be worth a shot.

What kind of skiing are you doing? Downhill, backcountry, cross-country? They all require a slightly different strategy. I'd just caution you to dress too warmly. You should start out feeling a little cold and under-dressed and as you warm up you'll find the sweat spot.

I personally wouldn't ski at all without a helmet because all it takes is one freak accident and you in serious trouble.

I'm allergic to wool so I can't wear wool socks. What should I get instead?

All of this info is very helpful and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I've had time to read it thoroughly. I was planning to order the gear online because I wear plus sizes and I haven't had much luck getting this stuff anywhere else. I'll find a ski shop though to get fitted for goggles. I wear transition bifocals plus I have astigmatism so I would be a menace on the slopes without my glasses.:eek:

Yes, add the helmets. I won't ski without one.

Try and find goggles anywhere but at the ski resort. Even REI will be cheaper :)

After Sonny Bono died, helmets became more common. Then Natasha Richardson even though she was only taking beginner lessons but suffered internal cranial bleeding that wasn't immediately apparent.

You can find synthetic blend ski socks without wool. The biggest problem though is odor, although they might have silver to control that. Synthetic socks can smell really foul quickly in something like a plastic ski boot. I have a lot of socks that have a little bit of wool, which helps with odor control.

Not sure exactly where you're located, but it might be hard to find ski equipment that you can look at if you're not close to any place to ski. If you have time, you might consider going to Reno (which has REI and other sporting goods stores like Big 5/Dick's).

A great place is Sierra Trading Post, although the stuff they have in the store can be random. I haven't been to the new location, but I remember the old one next to a Target store.

https://www.sierra.com/reno-nv~l~5/

You can find synthetic blend ski socks without wool. The biggest problem though is odor, although they might have silver to control that. Synthetic socks can smell really foul quickly in something like a plastic ski boot. I have a lot of socks that have a little bit of wool, which helps with odor control.

Not sure exactly where you're located, but it might be hard to find ski equipment that you can look at if you're not close to any place to ski. If you have time, you might consider going to Reno (which has REI and other sporting goods stores like Big 5/Dick's).

A great place is Sierra Trading Post, although the stuff they have in the store can be random. I haven't been to the new location, but I remember the old one next to a Target store.

https://www.sierra.com/reno-nv~l~5/
Thanks for the advice. Even though we live nowhere near the mountains skiing is very popular where I live so there are places to go. We'll be driving from San Francisco and will only be skiing for a few days so going to Reno isn't an option.

Thanks for the advice. Even though we live nowhere near the mountains skiing is very popular where I live so there are places to go. We'll be driving from San Francisco and will only be skiing for a few days so going to Reno isn't an option.

You can find a lot of places to get ski clothing in the Bay Area or the Sacramento area.

I was thinking Reno since you mentioned Northstar. There's a Cabela's near the Nevada border (Verdi), although I don't think they do skiing. They should have base layers, which are popular for hunting/fishing/hiking.

We're going downhill skiing. I will call to rent helmets tomorrow.

Would any of these work for a midlayer?

Personally, I’d pick #2 or #3. #1 looks similar to what I’d wear for my 3rd layer for really cold days. The lands end one (#3) is nice because the neck collar is slim and not bulky.

After Sonny Bono died, helmets became more common. Then Natasha Richardson even though she was only taking beginner lessons but suffered internal cranial bleeding that wasn't immediately apparent.

It is worth mentioning what a ski helmet will and won't do. Ski helmets are great, yes. But they are not a cure all. They are essentially rated to protect you from scalp lacerations and abrasions and grade 1 concussions. That's it.

Sonny Bono ran into a tree. As the saying goes, if you run into a tree without a helmet your cause of death is listed as head injury. If you run into a tree while wearing a helmet your cause of death is listed as internal bleeding.

Also, Natasha Richardson was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident but given the nature of the injury, experts are very unsure if a helmet would have saved her or not.

Bottom line people, don't do stupid things on the slopes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter