Need recommendations on possible resort change.

michellej47

Mouseketeer
We are going December 15 - 21st. At first, we were at POFQ, but when I learned that they don't have refrigerators or microwaves, we moved over to OKW and are in a studio. My oldest has food allergies, so we do a lot of meals for him in the room (we do some in the parks since they are so good with allergies). We stayed in a studio at OKW in 2021 and we really liked it.

This trip, my mom is coming with us. Right now, we have two separate studios booked. Last week, my mom had a stroke. Thankfully, she is doing really well and she is recovering very nicely. Most of her issues are with speech. Physically, she seems to be perfect. However, I am now concerned about her being too far away from us while we are in our rooms and I know there are no guarantees when we request that our rooms be close. So we have been considering trying to switch to a 2 bedroom. I'd like to stick with one of the more price friendly resorts, like OKW or SS, but so far, we have had no luck in finding a 2 BR. I'm currently booked under the Disney+ Subscriber discount. If I search without the discount, I can find a few 2BR options, but they are so expensive because there are no discounts. Do you think if I call, I might get lucky in getting moved to a 2BR and keep the discount? Or should I look into some offsite options? We love being onsite, but I want to be able to keep a close eye on my mom. I would prefer to do a 2BR so my mom can have her privacy and my husband and I can have ours.

If you are positive you will be traveling and are not concerned about cancelling the reservation, you could check out some confirmed rental sites for DVC points. You might luck into finding a confirmed reservation for your dates. Just trying to add to your possibilities on how to make your situation more ideal.

P.S glad to hear your mother is recovering well. Sending positive vibes your way!

Alternately you could call the front desk of the resort, tell them why it's very important to have a studio next to your mother (or as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if that's not what you want).
Good luck, and I hope you all have a good trip.

If you are positive you will be traveling and are not concerned about cancelling the reservation, you could check out some confirmed rental sites for DVC points. You might luck into finding a confirmed reservation for your dates. Just trying to add to your possibilities on how to make your situation more ideal.

P.S glad to hear your mother is recovering well. Sending positive vibes your way!
I thought about that but wasn't sure if it was too close to our dates now. I'll look into it!

The dates you list will be hard to come by for a DVC 2BR. The best is as above to search for a confirmed reservation. No matter how it will not be cheap either through DVC (you will not be able to change or refund a rental) or Disney direct. If you are OK with offsite that will be your best option at this point. If you want to stay on Disney property look into AKL as well for a 2br standard view as those 3 resorts have lower points rooms and are less desirable for DVC members because of Holiday decorations. I can tell you none of those resorts are available to book as of now so a confirmed reservation is the best option. One may open up right around the 30 day mark because of the DVC cancellation policy for that I would find someone on the DVC rent/trade boards that will work with you which may be difficult.

Did you look into a family suite at either ASM or AoA? They both have refrigerators and a microwave. There is a bedroom, but not really a second bedroom, but there are sleeping surfaces in the living area.

I did. But it doesn't give everyone the privacy they need. My kids and my mom would basically be sharing a room.

The dates you list will be hard to come by for a DVC 2BR. The best is as above to search for a confirmed reservation. No matter how it will not be cheap either through DVC (you will not be able to change or refund a rental) or Disney direct. If you are OK with offsite that will be your best option at this point. If you want to stay on Disney property look into AKL as well for a 2br standard view as those 3 resorts have lower points rooms and are less desirable for DVC members because of Holiday decorations. I can tell you none of those resorts are available to book as of now so a confirmed reservation is the best option. One may open up right around the 30 day mark because of the DVC cancellation policy for that I would find someone on the DVC rent/trade boards that will work with you which may be difficult.

That's good to know about the 30 day policy. I will definitely check then to see if we luck out! How would I go about finding a confirmed reservation?

That's good to know about the 30 day policy. I will definitely check then to see if we luck out! How would I go about finding a confirmed reservation?
You would check one of the DVC rental sites. I did a quick look and don't see anything for all of your nights in a 2BR. DVC Rental Store had the most reservations available. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!

We are going December 15 - 21st. At first, we were at POFQ, but when I learned that they don't have refrigerators or microwaves, we moved over to OKW and are in a studio. My oldest has food allergies, so we do a lot of meals for him in the room (we do some in the parks since they are so good with allergies). We stayed in a studio at OKW in 2021 and we really liked it.

This trip, my mom is coming with us. Right now, we have two separate studios booked. Last week, my mom had a stroke. Thankfully, she is doing really well and she is recovering very nicely. Most of her issues are with speech. Physically, she seems to be perfect. However, I am now concerned about her being too far away from us while we are in our rooms and I know there are no guarantees when we request that our rooms be close. So we have been considering trying to switch to a 2 bedroom. I'd like to stick with one of the more price friendly resorts, like OKW or SS, but so far, we have had no luck in finding a 2 BR. I'm currently booked under the Disney+ Subscriber discount. If I search without the discount, I can find a few 2BR options, but they are so expensive because there are no discounts. Do you think if I call, I might get lucky in getting moved to a 2BR and keep the discount? Or should I look into some offsite options? We love being onsite, but I want to be able to keep a close eye on my mom. I would prefer to do a 2BR so my mom can have her privacy and my husband and I can have ours.
POR (and all value and moderate resorts) have microwaves in the food court. Would that work for you? I believe that you could request a real refrigerator for medical needs (your eldest's allergies).

POR (and all value and moderate resorts) have microwaves in the food court. Would that work for you? I believe that you could request a real refrigerator for medical needs (your eldest's allergies).

Unlike Universal , Disney doesn't guarantee it, so I can't take that chance. He definitely needs a fridge for his special milk. When we have gone to Universal, they give us one every time. I wish Disney could guarantee it, even if I had to pay.

Book a refundable off site and keep checking for the 2BR you want at Disney. Unfortunately the D+ discount has been pulled so unless you see availability and are somehow able to modify your res and get the D+ offer to apply you are probably going to find all 2BR DVC options eye wateringly expensive as they will be rack rate.

If you’re able to rent one make sure to buy travel insurance that will cover it if you can’t go.

Could the Ft Wilderness cabin work? That’s the only thing I could find searching your dates? Only room discount for Dec is AP one.

I would call to see if you can get your studios nearby. Offsite is probably going to be easiest solution.

There's also Wyndham Magic Village near Animal Kingdom. They have 3 BR townhouses which are a little more expensive at about $2000 for your 6 days using Mouse Saver's code:

https://www.mousesavers.com/magic-village-views-by-wyndham/

Or, you can use Airnb and get a 3+ bedroom condo or house nearby, some with private pools for under $2,000. Just make sure to choose a place with a very high score of 4.75 or above and read all the reviews.

Just for clarification...ALL Disney resorts have at least a mini fridge, which I assume would work for the milk.

The issue is only having the microwave in the food court.

I will also say, that while certainly not a guarantee; we have been going to Disney mult. times a year for 2 decades and I always request a connecting room with my mom and have gotten it every single time at every level of resort.

Just for clarification...ALL Disney resorts have at least a mini fridge, which I assume would work for the milk.
For clarification Disney resorts have switched from fridges to beverage coolers. The coolers keep the temp in the 40s some say too warm for milk. Fill a gallon zip lock bag with ice from the ice machine. Put on top of your stuff in the cooler. Makes.a difference

I just returned from AllStarMusic yesterday. Because people ask about the "beverage coolers" I took a thermometer with me. The cooler stayed at 38-40degrees F the whole time we were there. In fact, the watermelon in DD's fruit cup froze overnight. If you are worried, use the zip-lock ice bag mentioned above, but I found everything stayed cold all the time.
Also... if you can get around the fridge/microwave issue, would a family suite with "connecting" room work? They have these at ASMusic. I think I'd call Disney directly to guarantee the room arrangement. Also... have you checked with your mother to see if she is worried about the room arrangements at all? If she lives alone, maybe she is OK with this anyhow.

Can you request a microwave at a mod for medical reasons? I know deluxe resorts have them by request for anyone, no guarantee you will get one, but your chances would improve if you have a medical reason. As for the beverage coolers I have found them to be colder than the old refrigerators they replaced. They aren't deep though so it is harder to put a lot in them.

OP, there are a lot of good suggestions here, but one suggestion I think you should ignore is the renting-points suggestion, if there would even be points available to rent. Because if anything happened and your plans changed again, you would still be obligated to pay for the entire reservation.

You want to book through Disney if you're going to stay on-site.

One other drawback of OKW is that many of the buildings have no elevator. If that would still work with your mom, then that's okay, but it's something to be aware of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter